Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do you do over your lunch break?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

What do you do over your lunch break?

We have a one hour paid lunch here. I also work in a very rural county, so there are pretty limited things to do over lunch. I had been taking a book and going out to lunch, which was nice, but it's also kind of expensive to eat out every day. I've found if I don't go out, though, I will just sit at my desk and work through lunch. So, I just now signed up for the gym across the street from where I work and am planning to start going on my break. It's not the best gym and the equipment that I want to use (slam balls, kettle bells, etc.) are fairly limited. But it's a productive way to spend the time, and I think will help keep me motivated to stay active and keep the winter blues at bay.

Anyone else do this? Gotta good routine down that you do? I would love to walk over my break, too, but unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that would most likely need a shower if I do anything remotely strenuous. Even if I don't really need one, I feel disgusting afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes! Hopefully well since I had to sign a year-long contract!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's no way one could realistically workout, shower, and be back to work bells on given the allotted 60 minute lunch break. Fortunately, I live 10 minutes from work and can use the 50 minutes to prepare and eat lunch and have a (precious) few minutes to catch up on reading or minor dinner prep.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, ďWhere are you from?Ē doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I just sit at my desk and play on Cyburbia. Either that or play some games on the ipad. Some people just go out to their car to read.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I eat lunch.

If Iím in the field, I might have lunch in the car and listen to the radio. If Iím in the field and working with someone, we go to a restaurant.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I try to walk around downtown at least 2 days a week. Otherwise drive & go meet a couple friends or run errands.

Mondays I have a basic routine where I meet a couple friends at a downtown place & we talk soccer (& people look at us funny).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

I check out FB, play games or my iPad, answer calls and talk to people who come in the office.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I eat lunch.
    I don't know why, but I busted out laughing when I read that.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    eat lunch, walk about my CBD or by the water
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Eat lunch...haha. I get an hour. I always go out, which is probably terrible for my health and my budget, but I gotta get out of the office. Depending on where I go, sometimes Iím done eating. Iím that case, Iíll either just relax in my car and listen to music or talk radio or Iíll just heard back to the office early and catch up on Facebook, email, paying bills, or whatever. Occasionally Iíll attend to personal errands or phone calls as well.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    What do you do over your lunch break?
    Soooo tempted to reply "hookers and blow", but I'll refrain from doing so.

If I'm at the office, it's one of three things:

- Hit the salad bar at the cafe in The Building Next Doorô and eat at my desk;
    - Lunch out with coworkers at one of the six options within a five minute walk of the office;
    - Head farther south into the part of Midtown ATL with a better concentration of restaurants for a more leisurely lunch out with either my coworkers or a friend that works seven blocks south of me.

If I'm working from home, it's generally take the full hour to eat and do anything other than even think about work.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wallÖ"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    It's a five minute round trip between my house and the office so I go home. I let the dogs out, eat some leftovers, and play a video game or watch an episode of whatever show I am binge-watching.

Registered
    May 2006
    On paper, I get 30 minutes paid lunch, however my boss is chill in regards to my hours and I can get away with 45 minutes.

I'll usually Sit in my Volvo, pop my mid-day dose of Ativan (I am on 1.5 g, three times a day. It does WONDERS for my anxiety and doesn't get you lethargic in small doses like Xanax) and decompress. Sometimes music will be involved - maybe some crazy punk rock, some calming Philip Glass or a classic rock album like Let it Bleed depending on my mood.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Very rarely do I spend my lunch in the office, either at my desk or in our kitchen/break room. I need to get out and as far from my phone and email as I can.

I get 60 minutes and when the weather is nice in the spring and summer I go for a run. I can get about 6 miles in or drive over to the high school and use the track for a track workout and still be done in time to come back to the office and shower. When it's the very hottest part of summer I don't do that though since I cannot cool down in time, even with a cold shower.

If I'm not going for a run, there's a good chance I'll be going for a walk instead. I can do a few laps around our office complex (or if it's open walk to the custard stand) and listen to an audio book or podcast. Even if I bring my own lunch, I usually eat it very quickly and then go for a walk.

On days I don't go for a run or a walk I'll either go to one of a few restaurants or to my library or Starbucks and sit and read. Even though there are probably 250,000 people within a small radius and I'm in a pretty big metro area, unless I want fast food my options right nearby are very limited so when I do go out to eat I'll drive further than a lot of folks probably would for lunch but then eat really quick. I don't like to go to the places right by my office since I'm more likely to run into coworkers.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I get 60 minutes and when the weather is nice in the spring and summer I go for a run. I can get about 6 miles in or drive over to the high school and use the track for a track workout and still be done in time to come back to the office and shower. When it's the very hottest part of summer I don't do that though since I cannot cool down in time, even with a cold shower.
    Having shower facilities at work would be really helpful. As far as I know we don't. Hence, having to join the gym. And also, you run much faster than I ever have based on this response. I can't run right now, but I'm hoping it'll be something I can pick up again in the spring, maybe. I'd be ecstatic to get four miles and a shower in!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    It's a five minute round trip between my house and the office so I go home. I let the dogs out, eat some leftovers, and play a video game or watch an episode of whatever show I am binge-watching.
    Same thing here minus the video games. It is nice to go home and relax for a few minutes.
    And that concludes staffís presentation...

Registered
    May 2002
    I go home or go out, mostly depending the townhouse is empty at lunch or not. If I go out, I usually hit the local mall's food court.

Registered
    May 2004
    On mondays usually I take a half hour and run to the grocery to buy lunch supplies for the week. The rest of the week I usually eat a sandwich at my desk and answer questions from newer planners. My boss lets me come in a bit late in exchange for generally being available during the lunch hours while no other senior level staff is usually there. I also usually take 10 minutes to walk my dog who I bring to work every day and leave in the back of my truck.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I also usually take 10 minutes to walk my dog who I bring to work every day and leave in the back of my truck.
    This is the best response ever so far! I want to start doing this. But I don't have a truck. I do have a hatchback car...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I go to the gym.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Google, "Marginalized Older Employees"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Well, I'm not on a clock and I'm pretty much the boss of my office, so I guess I do whatever I dang well please. LOL But generally when I'm not working from home or if I'm not meeting a client for lunch, I just walk to one of the 5 good options within 800 steps of my building or drive to another good option within a mile or two of where I am if I'm craving something different than "the usual".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I got to head to the gym for my first full-on, no sales pitches included, lunchtime workout. Man, that felt good. It's been a rough week, and that definitely did my soul (and body) good to get a hard work-out done mid-day. Coming back to work mid-day with wet hair is weird. Unfortunately, I sweat too much to not wash my hair, even utilizing dry shampoo. But I'll get used to it. Men definitely have it easier in this regard!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    I got to head to the gym for my first full-on, no sales pitches included, lunchtime workout. Man, that felt good. It's been a rough week, and that definitely did my soul (and body) good to get a hard work-out done mid-day. Coming back to work mid-day with wet hair is weird. Unfortunately, I sweat too much to not wash my hair, even utilizing dry shampoo. But I'll get used to it. Men definitely have it easier in this regard!
    Other than the hair thing, welcome to my world. My hair is short enough that I don't need a comb.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I typically will checkout the downtown shops, Library or go home (1.5 miles from City Hall).

I love being close by.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Lunch!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Oct 2016, 8:52 AM
  2. lunch? take 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Apr 2012, 10:51 PM
  3. Required Lunch Break