Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: 2018 Major League Baseball (throw in the towel or buy a championship) Thread

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634

    2018 Major League Baseball (throw in the towel or buy a championship) Thread

    Winter Meetings have begun and new owner Derek Jeter attended the Dolphins game instead. Now that's the way to start the season...which also includes a tremendous salary dump by the Marlins. They have thrown the proverbial towel in already.

    Yankmees bought Stanton. Angels bought Ohtani (this Japanese wonder player).

    Braves lost a bunch of prospects. Tampa Bay Rays may sell franchise player Longoria.

    But the meetings are being held at Disney so maybe some magic will happen.

    Just the slow start up of the season, but pitchers and catchers report in 64 days!




    ...and the Houston Astros won the World Series last year in case you forgot.







    (mods, please close the 2017 thread)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    Adrian Gonzales waived his no-trade clause to be traded to the Braves who released him to free agency. Man this sounds convoluted.








    Again this year, nobody has picked up my contract so far so I guess I'll just stay a planner.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Adrian Gonzales waived his no-trade clause to be traded to the Braves who released him to free agency. Man this sounds convoluted.
    It was almost NBA complicated. Ultimately it's a salary dump for both teams, and the Braves get a veteran SP to eat innings in 2018, an upgrade at utility infielder with four remaining years of club control, and an extra $30 mil of payroll space to pursue free agents for the 2019 season.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    18,061
    I would have preferred the Giants sign Eva Longoria. I would like to see her run the bases.
    Habitual Offender

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Doohickie's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, formerly Cheektowaga
    Posts
    880
    All I've noticed about the Texas Rangers so far is that they're picking up a lot of pitching (and with good reason). Let's see if the new pitchers suck less than last year's pitchers.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Otis's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Upper left edge
    Posts
    5,061
    My off-the-wall prediction for 2018: Washington Nationals lose in the first round of the playoffs.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    18,433
    Tigers vs Cubs in the World Series!



    Anyone see a pattern here...
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    25 days!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #9
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Tigers vs Cubs in the World Series!



    Anyone see a pattern here...
    Unless the Cubs get their pitching issues resolved and get a legit lead off man, I don't see that happening.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  10. #10
    Cyburbian The Terminator's avatar
    Registered
    May 2006
    Location
    914/514
    Posts
    1,457
    Hmmmmm. I doubt my Mets will go anywhere this year, but you never know!

    I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will face the Seattle Mariners in the World Series with Tampa Bay beating the Mariners 27-26 in Game 5 after 37 innings.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Despite their former GM being banned for life and the organization losing several of their recent international signings in the wake of it, the Braves still have 8 of the overall top 100 prospects, including #1 Ronald Acuna.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Larry "Chipper" Jones elected to the HoF with the 11th highest percentage of the total votes ever. Now if we can just get Fred McGriff and Andruw Jones voted in...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  13. #13
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Larry "Chipper" Jones elected to the HoF with the 11th highest percentage of the total votes ever. Now if we can just get Fred McGriff and Andruw Jones voted in...
    Though I'm not a Braves fan, I always liked Chipper. I'm glad he got in.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    Kudos to Chipper!!!

    ...and the other 3 are certainly worthy too. It looks like a good cast this year AND Barry Bonds & Roger Clemens still did not received the required minimum votes.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  15. #15
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,665
    We'll be down in Naples, Florida in March and I was thinking of heading up to Fort Myers to take my daughter to BoSox spring training game. I was surprised how expensive their spring training games are. $15 to $25+ seems high - that's nearly as much as a regular season ticket price in Detroit (but probably not as much as in Boston). Of course, the last time I bought spring training tickets was 20+ years ago to the Pirates facility in Bradenton... there's probably been some inflation since then.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    We'll be down in Naples, Florida in March and I was thinking of heading up to Fort Myers to take my daughter to BoSox spring training game. I was surprised how expensive their spring training games are. $15 to $25+ seems high - that's nearly as much as a regular season ticket price in Detroit (but probably not as much as in Boston). Of course, the last time I bought spring training tickets was 20+ years ago to the Pirates facility in Bradenton... there's probably been some inflation since then.
    Planit might have a better idea, but I'm pretty sure the Braves' spring training ticket prices jumped significantly when they moved from West Palm Beach to Disney several years ago.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  17. #17
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,665
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Planit might have a better idea, but I'm pretty sure the Braves' spring training ticket prices jumped significantly when they moved from West Palm Beach to Disney several years ago.
    I just looked up Tigers tickets up in Lakeland and they are the same, or even more than, the BoSox prices. The Tigers have some seats that are $85! That's just insane. Who would pay that for a spring training game?
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    I grew up in St. Pete going to Cardinals & Mets Spring Training games but that was back in the late 60s and when I worked in Ft. Myers (85) and Sarasota (86) it is no way is even close to resembling whats going on today...BUT

    BoSox in Ft. Myers has generally been a tough ticket. Up & down the coast are several opportunities. Look around. The BoSox are definitely close to Naples, but Port Charlotte, Sarasota & Bradenton are good choices too, but you're getting into the 2 hour drive range.

    It's funny to me that games early in March tend to have big attendance but not as many of the 1st-team players, whereas many late march games are less attended but with more 1st-team players and those 'on the bubble' type guys, at least that been what I've seen.

    Regardless GO!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  19. #19
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,665
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I grew up in St. Pete going to Cardinals & Mets Spring Training games but that was back in the late 60s and when I worked in Ft. Myers (85) and Sarasota (86) it is no way is even close to resembling whats going on today...BUT

    BoSox in Ft. Myers has generally been a tough ticket. Up & down the coast are several opportunities. Look around. The BoSox are definitely close to Naples, but Port Charlotte, Sarasota & Bradenton are good choices too, but you're getting into the 2 hour drive range.

    It's funny to me that games early in March tend to have big attendance but not as many of the 1st-team players, whereas many late march games are less attended but with more 1st-team players and those 'on the bubble' type guys, at least that been what I've seen.

    Regardless GO!
    My parents sold my grandma's place in Sarasota last summer or else I'd look for something up there as well since we could make a couple days out of it and stay there for free (Anna Marie Island has the best beach in Florida). I don't care enough about the Sox to pay more than about $15, including fees, but was just picking them since it's so close to where we stay. I told my FIL to keep an eye/ear out and that if he hears of somebody trying to off load some tickets cheap or free that we'd be interested.

    If I'm taking a 7-year-old, I'm sure she won't care who's playing. She'll be more interested in whether or not we can get ice cream.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

    If I'm taking a 7-year-old, I'm sure she won't care who's playing. She'll be more interested in whether or not we can get ice cream.

    When The Girl was that age, I had to promise to get her Dippin' Dots at the game so she would go
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  21. #21
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    When The Girl was that age, I had to promise to get her Dippin' Dots at the game so she would go
    I have to promise the same thing to my 48-year old sister for Braves games.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  22. #22
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,665
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    When The Girl was that age, I had to promise to get her Dippin' Dots at the game so she would go
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I have to promise the same thing to my 48-year old sister for Braves games.
    They have Dippin' Dots at Sun Trust? I'll probably be down there in June, now I have a good reason to go catch a game!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,634
    One more week!


    Oh and this:

    This afternoon, the MLBPA sent out a statement about its view of the current free-agent market and competitive environment, attributed to union executive director Tony Clark:

    “Pitchers and catchers will report to camps in Florida and Arizona in one week. A record number of talented free agents remain unemployed in an industry where revenues and franchise values are at record highs.

    Spring training has always been associated with hope for a new season. This year a significant number of teams are engaged in a race to the bottom. This conduct is a fundamental breach of the trust between a team and its fans and threatens the very integrity of our game.”
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    3,931
    Meh, some agents are trying to shift blame for completely misreading the free agent market this off-season. That's what lead to this statement from the MLBPA.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  25. #25
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,665
    Yesterday I heard a good proposal that would help discourage the race to the bottom and tanking among teams: Give the first draft pick to the team with the best record that misses the playoffs, give the second pick to the team with the second best pick, and so on. I think this sounds like a pretty good idea to me. It would encourage teams to try and be competitive further into the season, especially in baseball where teams often seem to give up in early August with so much of the season left to play.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 112
    Last post: 09 Nov 2017, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 100
    Last post: 04 Nov 2016, 3:13 PM
  3. Replies: 118
    Last post: 13 Nov 2015, 11:18 AM
  4. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  5. Replies: 329
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 11:56 AM