Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do your PC officers change each year?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Do your PC officers change each year?

My County has had the same PC chairwoman for the last 15-ish years. Since I'm new, I have an opportunity to push to change the expectation by suggesting the implementation of a rotation schedule. I think that's the most delicate way to approach it.

I'm just curious how others handle this. The problem is that the chairperson sets the tone of the meetings, and this particular person has inserted herself way too personally into technical issues going so far as to personally call the department of transportation, etc. and giving applicants specific guidance on how to move through the application process. Boundaries have not really been established in the past, so I'm trying to implement them now in a kind, but effective way.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    My County has had the same PC chairwoman for the last 15-ish years. Since I'm new, I have an opportunity to push to change the expectation by suggesting the implementation of a rotation schedule. I think that's the most delicate way to approach it.

I'm just curious how others handle this. The problem is that the chairperson sets the tone of the meetings, and this particular person has inserted herself way too personally into technical issues going so far as to personally call the department of transportation, etc. and giving applicants specific guidance on how to move through the application process. Boundaries have not really been established in the past, so I'm trying to implement them now in a kind, but effective way.
    In my opinion their rules of procedure should spell out that in a certain month each year officers are elected. Now if the same people keep getting elected I think that's just a problem you have to deal with. If you have any member who is getting involved with things they shouldn't that's when your attorney should be having a conversation with them. That is not your job.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    At the beginning of each calendar year (aka the first meeting of the year), my three Boards/Commission elect officers. It usually stays the same year after year, but theoretically it could change/rotate every year, but we don't mandate rotation.

It's worked well during my time with the City. The Planning Commission Chair is currently the person that was the longtime (now retired) Planning Director for the City. He understands his role and how it works, but explicitly has told me that he does not intend to 'interject' regarding how he thinks regulation application/interpretation should be.

We're a chartered City in Ohio
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

In theory, yes. In practice, they stay in the position for the four year term.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We change the chair every couple years.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Our's are appointed by the Commissioners so the members basically remain the same until a Commissioner retires or loses in an election. Right now I have two members from prior Commissioners because the incoming guys didn't bother to replace them.

Technically speaking we are supposed to have bi-annual elections for Chair and Vice Chair. I only really forced them to an election when one of the old Chairs moved out of the county a few years ago. I have one member right now who's a royal PITA and I do NOT want him as Chair. If we held another election I suspect he'd nominate himself and probably win because no one else really wants to do it. I won't bring up the election thing until someone else does.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Blue Ribbon Commission allows 10 member board to serve 5 yr terms, 2 rotate off each year, once a PC serves a 5 yr term, they must sit out 5 yrs before seeking renomination. Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary chosen by other members at end of each year for proceeding year

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We had six members on our combined city Planning Commission / Board of Appeals, one for each ward. The mayor appoints members annually with very little turnover.

I would recommend that you ask your county attorney or representative that attends the meeting to provide your commission with guidance on proper ways to conduct themselves (for protection of the county).

There are also pamphlets on how a Planning Commission should be conducted.

I do not know of other sources that Cyburbia might have to recommend to assist the attorney. I am sure your situation is not unique.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 41
    Last post: 10 Mar 2016, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 07 Aug 2015, 9:27 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Dec 2007, 3:29 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Dec 2005, 3:37 PM
  5. Change your name
    Friday Afternoon Club