Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The New Star Wars Movie

The New Star Wars Movie

Ok, this is a little late. For those who have seen it, what did y'all think of it. I saw during my Christmas vacation with my dad.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I haven't seen it yet. Maybe when it comes out on video
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Without spoiling it for anyone, I felt that it was the funniest starwars movie in the franchise. I liked it but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the force awakens; and if it means anything the Return of the Jedi is my all time favorite.

I thought it was a bit long. It also suffered from the never-ending ending, like LOTR. It wasn't as good as the last one. I place it somewhere in the middle of the pack of the movies. Better than the middle three, not as good as the originals and on par with the last three. It did advance agendas. Kylo Renn came across as a goth/emo Darth Vader. This should be the last one, but they've got another in the works. Keep milking that cash cow.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I loved it.

Mark Hamill as grumpy, senior citizen, get-off-my-lawn Luke Skywalker is/was the best thing of 2017.

And the ending-ish was great next level misdirection.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I loved it.

Mark Hamill as grumpy, senior citizen, get-off-my-lawn Luke Skywalker is/was the best thing of 2017.

I like Luke. The whole evil emo Kylo Ren parts throws me off a little. They just can't get the evil up to par with Vader and the Emperor. Snopes or whatever his name is is a bad copy. Kylo just doesn't come off as supreme evil. I know he's not supposed to be, but I just don't feel threatened. Showing up to a dinner party with Vader standing there is bad ass. Kylo crying about everything isn't. Although for the ladies, he does have an awesome six pack.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I didn't like it. The movie was full of plot holes, the story line was really dumb and there was absolutely no sense of time, and some of the characters were just freaking awful (I'm looking at you Rose!). Half of the "substories" really didn't need to be there and contributed nothing to the plot.

I won't be watching it again unless it's on TV and I have nothing else to do. The Force Awakens was great, this one was solidly meh. I assume JJ Abrams felt the same way because he's taking over the third installment.

I loved it.

Luke as an old age grouch was pretty good. He gave off the leave me the f alone vibe pretty well. From the sounds of it Hamill felt the same way.

My dad and I were talking on the way back. Neither one of us ever imaged Star Wars would be chugging along. Plus have the cultural impact that it has had.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm with mendelman. With the exception of the character using the force in the vacuum of space...I enjoyed it, as I have enjoyed pretty much every Star Wars movie for what it is...escapist fun.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I'm with mendelman. With the exception of the character using the force in the vacuum of space...I enjoyed it, as I have enjoyed pretty much every Star Wars movie for what it is...escapist fun.
    But where did the character even get that ability? Never once in the original movies did it even hint at it. I mean I suppose it's possible, it just seemed wildly out of place.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    But where did the character even get that ability? Never once in the original movies did it even hint at it. I mean I suppose it's possible, it just seemed wildly out of place.
    Like I said...that was the one part I didn't like...

I'm just not going to nitpick the whole saga...it's been too much a part of my life ever since seeing the original at a drive-in in 1978...and now sharing the experience with my sons.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2003
    But where did the character even get that ability? Never once in the original movies did it even hint at it.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    *snip*
    Well yeah I remember that part, but the ability seemed way out of left field. Like people train for decades to do what she did, and it never really hinted that she did anything of the sort.

Registered
    May 2003
    Well yeah I remember that part, but the ability seemed way out of left field. Like people train for decades to do what she did, and it never really hinted that she did anything of the sort.
    Meh. One of few minor nitpicks, in my opinion, to a 90% great movie.

Also liked the hyperspeed ram. Talk about a 'Blaze of Glory'.
    Last edited by mendelman; 29 Dec 2017 at 4:48 PM.

You know...for kids.

I'm just not going to nitpick the whole saga...it's been too much a part of my life ever since seeing the original at a drive-in in 1978...and now sharing the experience with my sons.
    I saw the first one with my dad.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Poe Dameron is the new Hans Solo.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    Hans
    Is he was Dutch now?

[pedantic]It's Han...duh.[/pedantic]

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I didn't like the WWII style bomber tactics. I mean it's the future. You don't have better technology or tactics than classic B-52 style bomber fleets to include the spotter. Also, dropping bombs in space is kind of difficult without that gravity thing.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I didn't like the WWII style bomber tactics. I mean it's the future. You don't have better technology or tactics than classic B-52 style bomber fleets to include the spotter. Also, dropping bombs in space is kind of difficult without that gravity thing.
    One of the reviews I read brought that up.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    See now that I actually was okay with. 1) I kind of thought of it like Battlestar Galactica, where the older technology wins because newer detection or prevention methods aren't designed with centuries old technology in mind. 2) The bomber obviously had gravity inside the ship. Logically when the bombs left the bottom of the ship (and its gravity), they were still travelling downwards. There's no drag in space so the bombs wouldn't suddenly stop right? I mean the laws of physics don't stop in space. An object stays in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Plus, there's the off chance that Star Destroyers are large enough to have their own relatively weak gravity field.

All that said, Star Wars has never been about the physics of space battle or travel (12 parsecs is a measure of distance, not time!!). It's always been about the story, and to me this one stunk for the better part of the film.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I loved all of TLJ, an A+ Star Wars movie for me.

I cheered out loud three times during the movie.

The first was when Holdo sacrificed herself by going into hyperspace. What an amazing sequence, beginning with that tearjerker goodbye she had with Leia to the silent aftermath of her deed.

The second time was when Ben ignited the blue lightsaber and took out Snoke. What a lame character, it felt right that he had to be eliminated.

And the third time was when ghost Yoda showed up. I went into TFA two years ago hoping we'd see some Force Ghosts, but alas, that didn't happen (Obi-Wan saying "first steps" doesn't count). Glad they used a puppet this time around.

Most funny scenes for me? Luke slorging on green milk, and Ben one-upping Hux on Crait.

The Leia part where she used the Force? Didn't bother me, seemed like a symbolic moment to give a tribute to Carrie Fisher. Could help but think of her passing while watching this movie.

One thing that amazed me is Chewie's prowess at piloting the Falcon. I think much of Han's braggadocio about his successes with the Falcon have more to do with the Wookie's skills than his risk-taking instincts.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    Poe Dameron is the new Hans Solo.
    Is he was Dutch now?

[pedantic]It's Han...duh.[/pedantic]
    Every time I hear someone refer to "Hans" I think of this:

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I enjoyed it. I generally like the Star Wars movies but am far from a fanboy. All of the three newest movies (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi) were pretty great in my opinion and the cinematography was great in all as well... beautiful in some scenes actually and I think this one was no exception. My favorites were the fight scene in Snoke's chamber, the battle on the salt planet with the red salt, and Leia floating in space and the silence there.

Poe is definitely the new Han and I know a lot of the critics hated Benico del Toro's character but I really enjoyed him.

Also, the opening scene was the funniest scene in any of the Star Wars films to date.

Kylo Ren was the worst part of The Force Awakens but he was much less insufferable this time around. I think most of that might be chalked up to improved acting by Adam Driver.

All that said, Rogue One is still my favorite of all of them, Empire Strikes Back is my 2nd fav.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2003
    Every time I hear someone refer to "Hans"...
    Hans Solo Andersen

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Poe is definitely the new Han and I know a lot of the critics hated Benico del Toro's character but I really enjoyed him. All that said, Rogue One is still my favorite of all of them, Empire Strikes Back is my 2nd fav.
    I dunno about Poe. I like him but I don't think he's a Han replacement. He's too brash even for Han, and he doesn't really seem to possess the same level of intelligence. He's a great character though. Benicio del Toro's character served little to no purpose. Like that plot line could have been completely eliminated from the movie and little would change. Hell, it should have been eliminated. It would have gotten rid of that ridiculous Rose character. It makes it even more confusing because apparently Finn knew the entire plan for abandoning the cruiser so why even bother with this crazy mission to destroy that tracker?

Rogue One is definitely my favorite so far, right next to Empire Strikes Back. I want to see how these new "Star Wars Story" movies go.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 67
    Last post: 28 Dec 2015, 1:03 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 6:42 PM
  3. Star Wars Movie Nerd Alert
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 25 May 2005, 1:41 PM
  4. Star Wars Kid