Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    That's what I have, but didn't watch the making of part. I'm planning to upgrade to the Blu Ray collection soon. Somehow my Fellowship of the Ring disc is scratched a little and I ended up having to skip 3 or 4 chapters. Good reason to upgrade. I also need to get The Hobbit trilogy and threw the Harry Potter anthology in the cart too. Why not. I've never seen all 8 of those movies start to finish either.
    My daughter has listened to all the Harry Potter audiobooks and then read all the actual books (she's started reading them when she was still only 6 years old so I think listening to them first helped her get through a lot of the names and made-up words and helped her keep focused) . After reading each book, we'd watch the corresponding movie. I had seen the first five or six of them and liked the first three and still enjoyed them on the second time through. I thought the movies really went downhill after after the third one. The books were just sooo dense and had sooo much detail and description packed into them that was cut out for the movies that there were large swaths of them that made no sense if you hadn't read the books or listened to the audiobooks, which I hadn't when I watched them the first time. They were still only slight better the second time around. But my daughter enjoyed them and I enjoyed sitting down with her to watch them.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) are all barking at me in the car. Whenever we get a cold snap, they start going off randomly.
    I get that problem on my Jeep too. Chrysler swears that the cold has no effect on the TPMS but I think that's a bunch of bull. I mentioned it to my dealer when I was in for an oil change some time ago and he agreed with me.

My wife's Traverse does not have that problem.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Let's see. Cold air contracts, which means less tire pressure. So your TPMS will go off. You just have to fill up the tires in the winter to get the right PSI
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Watching Dumb and Dumber again may have been the highlight of my 10 day vacation.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Let's see. Cold air contracts, which means less tire pressure. So your TPMS will go off. You just have to fill up the tires in the winter to get the right PSI
    I've read that nitrogen is the way to go in winter just for this reason. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's better than standard air though for all around use.

Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Watching Dumb and Dumber again may have been the highlight of my 10 day vacation.
    You have my sympathy-wow
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Yes, but FCA engineers don't seem to believe that. Maybe that's why they've had financial troubles for years and the only profitable things in their line are a few of their Jeeps and the Ram...
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    You have my sympathy-wow
    I also watched curling videos. The Canadian Women's National Team (Team Homen) is a thing of beauty - - - and they are outstanding curlers as well.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The Tournament of Roses Parade. Another reason to fall asleep in front of the TV watching dead flowers.
    You obviously didn't watch Tish and Cord's Rose Bowl Parade coverage on Amazon Prime
    No Signature Required

Rediscovered September by Earth, Wind and Fire. Needless to say, I added it to my workout music. Nice upbeat, happy song that puts you in a good mood.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Rediscovered September by Earth, Wind and Fire. Needless to say, I added it to my workout music. Nice upbeat, happy song that puts you in a good mood.
    I always liked this song.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I've read that nitrogen is the way to go in winter just for this reason. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's better than standard air though for all around use.
    The dealerships in Phoenix were always pushing nitrogen. They said it helps when you leave town because the temps drop a few degrees outside of the valley.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I just wanted to post to let you know that today is still a work holiday for us. Im as surprised as you are, but I am still in my pajamas and not at work, so Im clearly taking advantage of it!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I always liked this song.
    EWF on the short list of severely underrated bands

Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    EWF on the short list of severely underrated bands
    They are. I remember them from when I was young. I think that they got unfairly lumped in with disco.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    September by Earth Wind and Fire fans positively must read this NPR piece about the song. Warning: earworms present.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think AGs annoying solar farm people are calling me now. Yes, you actually need to be near some kind of electrical transmission line to make it work. No, you shouldn't be near the airport or the bombing range.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I think AGs annoying solar farm people are calling me now. Yes, you actually need to be near some kind of electrical transmission line to make it work. No, you shouldn't be near the airport or the bombing range.
    Personally, I'd encourage them to locate ON the bombing range, and do work only when the range is being actively used.

We are actually starting to get ones in the middle of nowhere that are actually building their own entire substation because large plots of land aren't available anywhere else. It's crazy.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm downloading Gimp for my computer. It just sounds wrong, but it's great.
    I like GIMP. I use it often.

Happy New Year everyone!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I like GIMP. I use it often.

Happy New Year everyone!
    I used to gimp when i first started as working in public sector. I hated every second of it. I was so happy when my previous employer purchased the Adobe Creative Suite for me. Since i started our bucket accounts at my previous employer, I am technically still using it here, until they wise up and change the password.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When I was 11, I broke my arm. Being 11, this was like a big adventure. I was so excited when I called my sister who was off at college and told her about it that she sent me a Congrats card instead of condolences.

Can't say I am equally jazzed about falling on my keister December 23 and spending the past 10 days or so largely confined to bed.

Hi, Cyburbia. I couldn't log in on Chrome on my phone, but Microsoft is bribing me to use their browser and, hey, I can log in.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Starting this year, if you live in Oregon you can now pump your own gas..but the funniest thing are the people that were against this initiative:

https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in...abo-1821708958
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Our reelected and new elected City officials will be sworn in this evening.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Starting this year, if you live in Oregon you can now pump your own gas..but the funniest thing are the people that were against this initiative:

https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in...abo-1821708958
    Wow, there are actually gas station attendants in the world that still pump gas? Who knew! Are these gas stations located next to the Western Union office?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, Where are you from? doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2003
    There used to be a local chain of gas stations here in my part of the Hoosier state that would pump your gas for a few cents extra. Being a New Jersey native, of course I paid up and stayed in my car on those miserable days I didn't want to get out and do it myself.

+++
    I recently acquired an ice scraper with a brass blade. Best. Scraper. EVAR.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Is it still required to have an attendant pump your gas in NJ?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Wow, there are actually gas station attendants in the world that still pump gas? Who knew! Are these gas stations located next to the Western Union office?
    The two gas stations in our neighborhood still have "full-service" pumps where somebody will come out and pump your gas for you. They'll also wheel out an air compressor and check your tires, wash your windows, etc. It's the same price as the other pumps but the gas at both these stations is usually about 20 more than it is outside of our immediate area (I think there are still a couple other similar full-service stations in town as well). The two stations by our house also still have old-timey service stations inside them and they always seem to be pretty busy. I've never used the full service pumps but my wife has a few times when she had a very new baby in the car. When we first moved to the area I mistakenly pulled up to the full-service pumps a few times before I realized what they were and started to get out to do it myself and then saw the attendant coming out toward me. When I did it at the first station I quickly jumped back in and moved the car, when I did it a second time at the other station I just waived him off and did it myself. I'm sure I wasn't the first to make that mistake.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM