Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 109 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    What are the walls like in your coin room?
    24-inch thick bulletproof glass that can withstand a direct hit from a ballistic missile.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    24-inch thick bulletproof glass that can withstand a direct hit from a ballistic missile.
    POTD, that was great. I would add gun turrets and minefield
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Inspection of the new place Monday morning.

Registered
    Feb 2004

meanwhile in Dubai....

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.8161...7i13312!8i6656

insect fighting service. Something only slightly lost in translation.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Apparently our local NC Representative attempted to get our Commissioners to stop a major subdivision because he bought a house from the builder who's evidently involved and it was "a lemon". . Too bad the Commissioners don't have anything to do with subdivisions AND you're going to lose in the next election so no one cares about you anymore.

The "Redevelopment of a nonconforming lot" thread has really gone off the rails. Woooo boy.
    Last edited by AG74683; 12 Feb 2018 at 11:34 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    POTD, that was great. I would add gun turrets and minefield
    Why not go all out...

If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Apparently our local NC Representative attempted to get our Commissioners to stop a major subdivision because he bought a house from the builder who's evidently involved and it was "a lemon". . Too bad the Commissioners don't have anything to do with subdivisions AND you're going to lose in the next election so no one cares about you anymore.

The "Redevelopment of a nonconforming lot" thread has really gone off the rails. Woooo boy.
    I just want to say get a lawyer. Go to a big city and find a big city firm that can handle all that kind of stuff, but you know, as much as I don't care for most lawyers, I can't do that to some random stranger.

Someone mentioned Smores Girl Scout Cookies earlier. Those things are highly addictive and will be gone today.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Someone mentioned Smores Girl Scout Cookies earlier. Those things are highly addictive and will be gone today.
    What about Thin Mints ?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What about Thin Mints ?
    Smores crush thin mints, but you do get more thin mints in the box.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    Inspection of the new place Monday morning.
    The inspection was a disaster. The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation." It was all lies. The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!) They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!). They added two parts to the house: an attached shed and a second bathroom. They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on. The new siding left a lot of gaps around features. It was just a mess.

Looking at other homes tonight.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sorry, dude. Good luck with finding a different new casa.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So I overslept a little this morning, but managed to make it in on time. The reason why I overslept (apart from chronic lack of sleep) was I was having a very engaging dream that I ran into Dick Vandyke and he asked me if I wanted to interview to be his personal assistant. The job entailed straightening up around the place, answering phones and handling his correspondence. The position paid $79,000 a year and required me to move into his residence, which in the dream happened to be Cleveland Clinic.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    The first thing I plan to do after this hearing on my big subdivision is over, will be to immediately initiate a text amendment to remove the requirement of having a public hearing in the first place. We have no statutory obligation to hold a hearing on a preliminary subdivision plat, and it's creating more of a headache than it's worth.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    The inspection was a disaster. The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation." It was all lies. The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!) They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!). They added two parts to the house: an attached shed and a second bathroom. They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on. The new siding left a lot of gaps around features. It was just a mess.

That sucks. I'm afraid of future home inspections at my house. It had two wire outlets with no ground and I replaced all the outlets with new ones. The old ones were worn out. Plugs would just fall out. My electrician friend tells me that when the inspector plugs in his toy it will show there is no ground and I might have to put in ground wiring through the house.

Never ask a 12 year old to get going to school early. They take the longest time possible.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Never ask a 12 year old to get going to school early. They take the longest time possible.

A 14 year old too. This morning just another example.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    My 7 year old is usually the same way but today I told her she could have half a pączek if she got ready quickly. That worked! I was really tempted to give her a full one to take with her to school as her daily snack today. I'm sure the teach would have loved that!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    That sucks. I'm afraid of future home inspections at my house. It had two wire outlets with no ground and I replaced all the outlets with new ones. The old ones were worn out. Plugs would just fall out. My electrician friend tells me that when the inspector plugs in his toy it will show there is no ground and I might have to put in ground wiring through the house.
    You can buy that toy, and I strongly encourage it. THIS ONE includes a voltage tester which has definitely saved my life at least once.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    You can buy that toy, and I strongly encourage it. THIS ONE includes a voltage tester which has definitely saved my life at least once.
    Yeah, that's the toy he was using.

As far as the electrical goes: The listing specified that the place had new electric, new plumbing, etc. Well, they did do some work in the kitchen, so *some* of the electric was new, so... yeah... ummm... new electric.

I actually asked that question before we put the bid in and the seller verified that all that work had been done. It hadn't.

Moving on... We looked at 4 homes last night, have another 5 or 6 to look at, plus anything else that pops up. We'll see where it goes. With our loan paperwork started I think once we find a different house and put in a bid we should be able to close quickly.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, that's the toy he was using.

As far as the electrical goes: The listing specified that the place had new electric, new plumbing, etc. Well, they did do some work in the kitchen, so *some* of the electric was new, so... yeah... ummm... new electric.

I actually asked that question before we put the bid in and the seller verified that all that work had been done. It hadn't.
    When I moved into my house, I created a master binder which keeps tabs on what I've had done. It's separated into several sections (building, electrical, plumbing, etc.). Every receipt and correspondence for any home improvement I've done goes into that binder. I even keep stuff like Lowes receipts from small stuff I've done personally. I have every warranty card, manual, specification I can find for each appliance in another section. When I sell my house, either someone will be very impressed or think I'm crazy.

I wish I would have hired a home inspector rather than go the route of bring out individual trade contractors. I think the home inspector exists solely to find problems with a house, no matter how tiny.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    When I moved into my house, I created a master binder which keeps tabs on what I've had done. It's separated into several sections (building, electrical, plumbing, etc.). Every receipt and correspondence for any home improvement I've done goes into that binder. I even keep stuff like Lowes receipts from small stuff I've done personally. I have every warranty card, manual, specification I can find for each appliance in another section. When I sell my house, either someone will be very impressed or think I'm crazy.

I wish I would have hired a home inspector rather than go the route of bring out individual trade contractors. I think the home inspector exists solely to find problems with a house, no matter how tiny.
    I did hire an inspector when I bought the house I'm selling now. I'm not super impressed with the work he did after the folks buying the house hired an actual company and found problems with pretty much everything in the house. I fixed what I could and put a lot of money into replacing windows and installing new carpet in one of the bedrooms, etc. I tightened up all the outlets/light switches, put in a new exhaust fan in the bathroom, put in new lighting in the bathroom, removed the mopped ceiling in the bathroom, etc. I mean, it was fairly substantial. And then the home inspector comes in, and still finds a million issues and I ended up having to dish out another $1,000 to cover the cost of repairs that the buyers want.

I'm not saying those things aren't issues, it's just frustrating to know how much work had already gone into it and I wasn't recovering those costs as it was. Granted, they had to be done prior to me selling the house, but it's still annoying. They're getting a smoking deal on it, though, so I hope they love and appreciate it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

My home inspector apparently didn't think about nor plan to check the plumbing drainage. It was a surprise to move in the week before Thanksgiving, and the night before post an emergency call for a sewer clean-out. The basement was just...awful.

Pro tip: photograph everything. My house has three clean-outs in the basement, and I didn't know about the one closest to the street until the pipe cam showed it. I was taking pics of the water access pipes, didn't notice the smaller-size clean-out nearby.

Registered
    Mar 2007

I like your idea of the tabbed binder. All of our receipts and invoices and work orders are in file in our den. We actually have a tabbed binder that our home inspector gave to us and now I'm thinking I should dig that out and add our files into there and just add a couple tabs for types of work done.

Our home inspector was pretty good and we thankfully didn't find any issues that he missed. He did recommend that we push our sellers to offer a home warranty so we did ask for that. Our agent didn't think the sellers would agree to it since they were pretty far underwater on the house, had to bring a bunch of cash to the closing, and just wanted to get out (they were old and retired and desperate to move to Texas to be close to their grandkids) but they added in the warranty without any fight.

When one of the electrical components of our furnace died the first week we tried to turn it on (it was working fine during the previous winter when we toured the house and when it was inspected) our warranty company fixed it right away. We also had a few other small issues that they fixed for us without any sort of pushback. I think all in all, we paid maybe $50 for probably close to $1k+ worth of work including parts and labor. At the end of our 1-year warranty, the warranty company tried to get us to re-up for something like $250 for another year but like an idiot I said no, and of course one of our garage door openers died a few months later and then shortly thereafter we had an outdoor faucet fail. If we were to move again I'd definitely try to get a home warranty again and then renew it for a year if possible.

All that said, I am sure there are good home warranty companies and sham home warranty companies and we may have just gotten lucky with ours and I'd definitely read the fine print beforehand to make sure you know what they will and will not cover.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    14 is about the age a teenager should be getting into Punk Rock. Any parents of teens want me to make their kid a starter mixtape? it is a great way to encourage outside the box thinking, strong analytic skills and creativity!

TT's 1977-1995 Punk 101 Mixtape:

Black Flag- Rise Above
    The Clash - White Riot
    GG Allin - Dont Talk to Me
    Ramones - Rockaway Beach
    Patti Smith - Ask the Angels
    The Bags - Babylonian Gorgon
    Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
    The Poles - CN Tower
    The Adicts - Viva la revolution
    The Damned - neat neat neat
    Viletones - Screamin Fist
    Teenage Head - Aint got no sense
    Wipers - Return of the Rat
    Crass - Do they owe us a living?
    MDC - Corporate Deathburger
    Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks F*** Off
    Operation Ivy - Knowledge
    Rancid - Ruby Soho
    Germs - Lexicon Devil
    Propagandhi - Nation States
    Husker Du - Newest Industry
    Replacements - I will Dare
    Minor Threat - Filler
    Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl
    X - Los Angeles
    Misfits - Astro Zombies
    Articles of Faith - What we want is Free
    Negative Approach - Ready to Fight
    Descendents - Myage
    Social Distortion - Mommy's little Monster
    Bad Religion - F*** Armageddon, this is Hell

+ many more

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My 7 year old is usually the same way but today I told her she could have half a pączek if she got ready quickly. That worked! I was really tempted to give her a full one to take with her to school as her daily snack today. I'm sure the teach would have loved that!
    Don't do it! You're already in trouble for teaching the 2 yo how to escape a crib.

I found a great house for Doohickie since he won't be living at Mount Hickie. It has great um...appliances.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Don't do it! You're already in trouble for teaching the 2 yo how to escape a crib.

I found a great house for Doohickie since he won't be living at Mount Hickie. It has great um...appliances.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Two thoughts:

• What on earth is written in spray paint on the garage in the last photo of that lasting?
    • Fort Worth has a really funky shape, geographically!

If somebody wants to move to Michigan and simultaneously back to the 1970s, here's a house a friend on Facebook posted recently. It comes complete with a life size bronze tiger and an indoor pool with a carpeted patio!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/74810690_zpid/3-_beds/...
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 109 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM