Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post

+++
    I recently acquired an ice scraper with a brass blade. Best. Scraper. EVAR.
    I brought one one o those down with me. I treasure it to this day.

All the gas stations here are self serve.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson Eng Xmas card cover.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	5771

Cropped 1960's Xmas card from my father's old company.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Starting this year, if you live in Oregon you can now pump your own gas..but the funniest thing are the people that were against this initiative:

https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in...abo-1821708958
    I saw the article and thought, poor Otis. He'll have to learn how to pump his own gas now.

I took my flat tire back to Sam's Club to get fixed. The poor dears, bless their heart. They can't fix the flat because the inside of the tire is too smooth. WTF? I'll pick up the tire today and hopefully get a translation. Is there sidewall damage? Is the tire not wearing evenly? Are you to stupid to rough up the tire to make the patch stick?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm "lucky" enough to have incredibly sensitive skin. In fact, it is the main reason I don't have tattoos. I have some form of dermatographia, which is when just simply scratching my skin can create temporary hive-like reactions that last about a half hour. It is a common hallmark of extremely sensitive skin. This also means that my skin is easily triggered. In the past I have experienced delayed pressure urticaria flare-ups, which causes hive-like lesions induced by a variety of stimuli including standing, walking, wearing tight clothes or sitting on a hard surface. That's pretty unpleasant.

Well I get to add something even more unpleasant... looks like cold urticaria is also part of my repertoire. Symptoms began to show over the weekend (coldest weather I've experienced in Texas). My body is currently 75% covered by hives.

What's crazy is I don't have any food or skin allergies to speak of. I don't even react to poison ivy.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wonder why we haven't evolved to have another outlet on our head? I mean there really should be one more way to relieve sinus pressure. Maybe just a button?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I've been put in charge of planning an large family vacation to the Outer Banks of NC for sometime in late April or early May. I've lived in NC my whole life but know absolutely nothing about the Outer Banks. Anyone have destination tips? It seems hard to rent a house for anything less than a week. We were looking at 3 or 4 days.

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'm "lucky" enough to have incredibly sensitive skin. In fact, it is the main reason I don't have tattoos. I have some form of dermatographia, which is when just simply scratching my skin can create temporary hive-like reactions that last about a half hour. It is a common hallmark of extremely sensitive skin. This also means that my skin is easily triggered. In the past I have experienced delayed pressure urticaria flare-ups, which causes hive-like lesions induced by a variety of stimuli including standing, walking, wearing tight clothes or sitting on a hard surface. That's pretty unpleasant.

Well I get to add something even more unpleasant... looks like cold urticaria is also part of my repertoire. Symptoms began to show over the weekend (coldest weather I've experienced in Texas). My body is currently 75% covered by hives.

What's crazy is I don't have any food or skin allergies to speak of. I don't even react to poison ivy.
    I also don't get poison ivy, oak, etc. I don't have any tats either. I had the old school allergy battery done, a series of pin pricks on both arms and lower back. It's as painful as it sounds. I've been stuck enough, TYVM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I've been put in charge of planning an large family vacation to the Outer Banks of NC for sometime in late April or early May. I've lived in NC my whole life but know absolutely nothing about the Outer Banks. Anyone have destination tips? It seems hard to rent a house for anything less than a week. We were looking at 3 or 4 days.
    I went to the Outer Banks a few times when I was in the Marines. The beaches were very nice and quiet and everything was peaceful. I never stayed more than overnight and it was about 15+ years since I've been there so I don't have any advice on accommodations other than the people I know who have gone down there more recently have always rented houses for at least a week. I think that April and May starts to get into their busy season which might also be why it's difficult to find something for just a few days.

Is the family dead set on the Outer Banks? You might have luck finding something available a bit further south like Emerald Isle, Topsail Island, or Carolina/Wrightsville Beach. The beaches are not as quiet as the OBX (Topsail is actually pretty quiet) but you're closer to civilization so there will likely be more options available.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Pirates and piracy: what are you personally doing about this problem? When you stand at the gates of St Peter and are asked the question "Did you do all that was in your power to stop piracy during your lifetime? Did you at any time take up arms to oppose them? Or did you aid them and their evil works by your indifference and silence?' How will you answer on Judgment Day?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Is the family dead set on the Outer Banks? You might have luck finding something available a bit further south like Emerald Isle, Topsail Island, or Carolina/Wrightsville Beach. The beaches are not as quiet as the OBX (Topsail is actually pretty quiet) but you're closer to civilization so there will likely be more options available.
    That was just my suggestion since I know nothing about NC beaches. After a little more research I've changed my mind to the Oak Island area. Kure, Carolina, Holden, Oak...somewhere in there. I think I'd prefer Kure or Carolina so we are a little closer to Wilmington.

The stupid thermostat here is messed up again, showing it's like midnight and on after hours heating. I'm starting to get pissed at this. Like 2 months and they can't figure out how to fix it. They bring in the same company over and over.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am going to be in Colorado in February. To ski. All is well in the world.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    That was just my suggestion since I know nothing about NC beaches. After a little more research I've changed my mind to the Oak Island area. Kure, Carolina, Holden, Oak...somewhere in there. I think I'd prefer Kure or Carolina so we are a little closer to Wilmington.

The stupid thermostat here is messed up again, showing it's like midnight and on after hours heating. I'm starting to get pissed at this. Like 2 months and they can't figure out how to fix it. They bring in the same company over and over.
    The Brunswick beaches face south and get good sunshine. The only thing I don’t like is that the Cape Fear River empties into the ocean and the surf can be a little murky. Still, Caswell Beach is my favorite. It’s quiet, but close enough to entertainment. Well, that’s how remember it.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Pirates and piracy: what are you personally doing about this problem? When you stand at the gates of St Peter and are asked the question "Did you do all that was in your power to stop piracy during your lifetime? Did you at any time take up arms to oppose them? Or did you aid them and their evil works by your indifference and silence?' How will you answer on Judgment Day?

I mocked the two headed pirate on the right.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am going to be in Colorado in February. To ski. All is well in the world.
    Stop by and say hello to the funny lights on your way and bring me back something nice.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    AG - Caswell, Kure, Sunset would be good choices and you'll probably have to pay the same price for 4 days as you would for the week on a house.

You also might want to consider Folly Beach (just south of Charleston, SC). It's only 4 hours from my place (for you to gauge driving) with a couple cool places on the island and then Charleston just up the street. That's our go to beach in this region.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB posting about Pirates -

2 books worth reading -

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History
    by Brian Kilmeade, Don Yaeger

The Shores of Tripoli: Lieutenant Putnam and the Barbary Pirates
    by James L. Haley

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    AG - Caswell, Kure, Sunset would be good choices and you'll probably have to pay the same price for 4 days as you would for the week on a house.

You also might want to consider Folly Beach (just south of Charleston, SC). It's only 4 hours from my place (for you to gauge driving) with a couple cool places on the island and then Charleston just up the street. That's our go to beach in this region.
    I'll second Folly Beach. I used to go up there a lot to drink beer and eat oysters when I was in Charleston.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Maister - Is that a painting of Presley O'Bannon on his way to earning our Mameluke Sword?

From the halls of Montezuma,
    To the shores of Tripoli...!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I would like to offer my deep gratitude to mskis for playing the role of hink during the annual post-A-thon. There were others that were key in the effort as well, but my goodness I think there was an entire page or 2 of only mski posts.

Plus he hit another clubbe level before it got really intense and it was his b-day that got all wonky. Thumbs up.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2006
    damn I forgot to post in the '17 thread in the final days.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Maister - Is that a painting of Presley O'Bannon on his way to earning our Mameluke Sword?

From the halls of Montezuma,
    To the shores of Tripoli...!
    Internet search - No to Maister's posting

Here -
    Presley O'Bannon - Battle of Derna

https://www.historyandheadlines.com/...ipoli-ooh-rah/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    :
    Do you see any high-necked leather collars there, Devil Dog? I thought not.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The low-pressure system today as the harbinger for the snowmageddon tomorrow is giving me a raging headache - becoming a barometer is another fun part of middle age - ouch

Looking forward to working from home tomorrow though - hot chocolate all day lol
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I fixed the freaking heat myself. I cut up a Sprite box, put an ice pack in there, wrapped it all in plastic and suspended it over the thermostat. Now it thinks it's 65 degrees in here so it's finally running the heat.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    ^ I once worked in an office that was basically an old converted pole barn with no insulation. We would occasionally walk past the thermostat with a can of keyboard duster and spray that in there upside down so it would come out really cold and make the furnace kick on sooner (our thermostat wasn't broken, but we didn't have the ability to adjust it on our own).
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Had to take the tire to an actual tire shop instead of Sam's Club. Hopefully they'll fix it. Sam's won't because there is to much tread wear on the outside edges. Just fix it so I can limp along until I can buy a couple new tires.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141