Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 36 of 105 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    10 is that the capacity of the bypass tray? We have a copier with multiple trays for paper of different types. I have reconfigured a tray to fit envelopes but it's been a while, heck it might have been the copier before last.
    Yeah, bypass tray capacity. I tried to reconfigure the internal main trays, but nothing works with envelopes.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I need to figure out how to bulk print 460 some odd envelopes. The only copiers we have will only fit 10 or so at one time, so I will have to sit and baby the copier for an hour or so. I don't want to do that. Suggestions?
    Hire an intern.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    No, it's very much for me to find out. Maybe we need to start a Bhutan Sleuthing thread? I know, let's ask terraplnr what's the deal with Bhutanese electrical substations. She has already proven that she sees and knows all.

This is a no-brainer... they obviously found pieces of amber in the Mongolian steppes that contained dinosaur DNA (they think the dinosaurs died of boredom during a dino-steppe marathon there) and they brought the reconstituted dinos to Bhutan to work at the electrical substation, and don't want them to escape and terrorize the countryside. The raptors are good at maintenance and the T-rexes are good at supervision (because, well, you know... arm challenges make other things difficult).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    This is a no-brainer... they obviously found pieces of amber in the Mongolian steppes that contained dinosaur DNA (they think the dinosaurs died of boredom during a dino-steppe marathon there) and they brought the reconstituted dinos to Bhutan to work at the electrical substation, and don't want them to escape and terrorize the countryside. The raptors are good at maintenance and the T-rexes are good at supervision (because, well, you know... arm challenges make other things difficult).
    Seems plausible enough. I'm going with that explanation until something better comes along.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think if you wear jeans into work you should be required to bring donuts with you. I'm just saying...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I need to figure out how to bulk print 460 some odd envelopes. The only copiers we have will only fit 10 or so at one time, so I will have to sit and baby the copier for an hour or so. I don't want to do that. Suggestions?
    Print labels instead, then affix.

You can get labels in a wide variety of sizes, and they'll fit your paper tray. If they are several-up**, you'll be done quickly.

**refers to how many on a page. 2-up: two labels, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Don't call us we'll call you.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Why I received a FOIA request for water and wastewater spill vendors the City used over the last 2 years, I'll never know.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Just received an Executive Order via email that the county is severing doing business with FedEx because it refuses to sever ties with the NRA and continues to offer discounts to NRA members.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Just received an Executive Order via email that the county is severing doing business with FedEx because it refuses to sever ties with the NRA and continues to offer discounts to NRA members.
    Was that a Board of Supervisors directive? It'll be interesting to see how/if these decisions end up impacting businesses.

I would like to wish the fine citizens of my locality a very happy Violation Day! This is not an official holiday, but it seems to be what I'm going to be dealing with the majority of the morning. Also, does anyone else see their job as Zoning Administrator being to mostly tell people to clean up illegal junkyards? That seems to be the primary complaint I get.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I'm no fan of the NRA but that's just dumb. What they do is not illegal. I guess everybody has to feel like they're "doing something".
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I'm no fan of the NRA but that's just dumb. What they do is not illegal. I guess everybody has to feel like they're "doing something".
    It did catch me off guard. For whatever reasons the board of freeholders thought it important.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Planner in the News -

In Rodeo poop, an urban planner displaced by Harvey finds dignity, meaning
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-12739430.php

Read to find out what he considered -
    particularly thought-provoking.
    “Now that’s intriguing,”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I took a long lunch today to go to the funeral service for my sister-in-law's mother. They were our neighbors when I was growing up and I'd known her all her life. She was in her 90s and even though her health was failing, she was mentally sharp right up until then end. She was born in New Brunswick (along with my sister-in-law) and she would still go back there a few times a year to visit relatives right up until a couple of years ago. She spoke fluent French and her kids all spoke pretty good French and she wanted her funeral service to be partially in French. I thought that was pretty cool. It reminded me that when I worked at a community development foundation about 12 years ago that we worked in a couple neighborhoods that we needed translators in and we had the typical Arabic and Spanish and Hmong and Albanian, etc. but we were surprised that there were a couple churches we held meetings in where we needed French. I think there are still a few Catholic churches in the region that still hold weekly services in French.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I took a long lunch today to go to the funeral service for my sister-in-law's mother. They were our neighbors when I was growing up and I'd known her all her life. She was in her 90s and even though her health was failing, she was mentally sharp right up until then end. She was born in New Brunswick (along with my sister-in-law) and she would still go back there a few times a year to visit relatives right up until a couple of years ago. She spoke fluent French and her kids all spoke pretty good French and she wanted her funeral service to be partially in French. I thought that was pretty cool. It reminded me that when I worked at a community development foundation about 12 years ago that we worked in a couple neighborhoods that we needed translators in and we had the typical Arabic and Spanish and Hmong and Albanian, etc. but we were surprised that there were a couple churches we held meetings in where we needed French. I think there are still a few Catholic churches in the region that still hold weekly services in French.
    Lots of Hatians and West African folx in NYC who are Francophone, and you often find French church services in areas of the Outer Borough's where there are such populations like Flatbush and Wakefield. But in DETROIT im surprised, the French were kicked out of there over 200 years ago and Metro Detroit doesn't seem like a hub for Francophone immigrants, but you never know. Thats pretty cool tbh.

Man, we are pretty slow for a Friday
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I am thinking about starting a side hustle doing smallish woodworking and custom furniture projects.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    U.S. Wheelchair Curling Dominates Sweden To Get Into Win Column At Paralympics
    https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/Ma...At-Paralympics

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Score! I found $30 on the ground while walking up to Starbucks this morning before work!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I am thinking about starting a side hustle doing smallish woodworking and custom furniture projects.
    Ever watched "The Wire"? Check out the first season. One guy made doll furniture as a side job.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    My undergrad school will be playing their rivals next weekend for the WCHA conference championship. It has been quite some time since they had a team this good...
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The radio played the song “Wildfire” this morning. I can’t think of many songs that mention Nebraska in the lyrics.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm back from Tampa. I know everyone missed me. Great time, but most important...Cigar City beer is okay and Whistle Pig bourbon is smooth, but damned expensive.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Once I rose above the noise and confusion
    Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion
    I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
    Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
    Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
    I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Once I rose above the noise and confusion
    Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion
    I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
    Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
    Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
    I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say
    Carry on my wayward tosu son
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 36 of 105 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141