Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Had to take the tire to an actual tire shop instead of Sam's Club. Hopefully they'll fix it. Sam's won't because there is to much tread wear on the outside edges. Just fix it so I can limp along until I can buy a couple new tires.
    I just installed 4 snow tires on my 240. paid $64 per tire on tirerack and another $60 for installation and balancing at my preferred shop. Mavis wanted like $600 for the whole thing but I spent $300 by using my brain.

I would just go with whatever shop gives you the best price if its just one tire.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    The maintenance guy just left, he came to look at the thermostat. . I had taken my invention off like 10 minutes prior to him showing up so he didn't see it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I saw the article and thought, poor Otis. He'll have to learn how to pump his own gas now.
    I've secretly been going up to Washington to practice pumping gas. Fortunately, the pumps up there have written instructions on them, so I've been able to figure it out in most cases. I've even been printing out the receipt myself. I am ready to go with this new-fangled idea.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Whenever we have a new opening here at the county (no matter the department or the level) HR sends out an internal email to announce the opening and encourage existing employees to apply or to forward it to folks they think might be interested.

A couple minutes ago HR sent one out that they are accepting applications for a secretary position in our department and our current secretary, who sits about 3 cubes away promptly yelled out, "It's for real! I'm really retiring this time!" as soon as it hit everybody's inboxes. I just thought that was funny.

She's been here 30+ years and was planning on retiring last spring but our boss managed to talk her into sticking around for another year.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    I just installed 4 snow tires on my 240. paid $64 per tire on tirerack and another $60 for installation and balancing at my preferred shop. Mavis wanted like $600 for the whole thing but I spent $300 by using my brain.

I would just go with whatever shop gives you the best price if its just one tire.
    Just checked. My tires run about $130 from Tirerack or Sam's Club. That's the basic they go up from there.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I improved my thermostat device to v. 2.0. It now features additional structural components and a built in window to see the thermostat. I suspect the maintenance guys have a low temp. alarm built in, and it probably trips around 65. As soon as I see it get close, I'll take the device off and hopefully they'll never come over again.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I have the first meeting with the Board of Zoning Appeals next Monday regarding the variance requests for the pipeline to cross over 11 different floodplains. This is a HIGHLY contentious issue - people from our county have been protesting this pipeline at every level. This meeting is largely to establish procedures for how the hearings will be run. We did put a notification in the newspaper, but I was careful to not advertise it as a public hearing - just a public meeting.

I just spoke to the chairman of the BZA about the meeting to confirm (because I just assumed) that he did not want to allow public comments at this meeting so I could put it on the overhead slide that people would see when they walked in. Glad I did because he thinks we SHOULD allow public comments. I kind of made a little bit of an argument for why I didn't think it was needed, but I probably shouldn't have - it's his meeting. I ended up just telling him to discuss it with the attorney the BZA will be retaining at the meeting next Monday.

I get where he's coming from to some extent - we want to make sure we do not appear to be favoring the pipeline people. But there is no reason for the public to weigh in on how they're conducting their meeting. It's just going to unnecessarily make this into a long night and it makes me sad... But it's their meeting, so I guess I'll just go along with it!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Back when they first came out I got the collector's edition DVD sets. We did a marathon binge where we not only watched all three movies but watched all the making of episodes as well. It took three full days with timeouts basically to eat and get a bit of sleep.
    I am eagerly awaiting the time when my youngest is old enough to do movie marathons again... this will be one of the first we do.

(Yeah I'm a couple of days behind. Happy 2018 everyone.)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Just checked. My tires run about $130 from Tirerack or Sam's Club. That's the basic they go up from there.
    I got new tires about 2 weeks ago. They were about 200 each . Luckily I was able to get a long life out of them on a prior vehicle, so hopefully I shouldn't have such an expense for a few years.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am finally watching Stranger Things. Man is that show good.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Kids are back in school. I'm back to work. Tree is down and stuff put away. I guess it's time to get out of holiday vacation mode.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kid is still home and the tree is still up. Guess that still places me in holiday mode. Junior did, however, announce yesterday that he was 'bored and ready for school to start again.'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My daughter went back to school on Tuesday and had class all through the week before Christmas too so her break was only a week and a day. There are a few districts around us that have this entire week off.

We've slowly started putting away some of our decorations but the tree will probably stay up until sometime next week.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    So if you don't put up any decorations then there nothing to take down & put away.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I usually include a statement in most of the emails and letters that I send that reads something to the effect of "Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions". If I ceased doing that would I cease getting questions?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I've secretly been going up to Washington to practice pumping gas. Fortunately, the pumps up there have written instructions on them, so I've been able to figure it out in most cases. I've even been printing out the receipt myself. I am ready to go with this new-fangled idea.
    I believe there are technical manuals online you may be able to read up on too.
    So when you take the family car on cross country trips, do you typically require your manservant/valet to perform gas pumping-related tasks?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I have literally spent all morning on phone calls related to the one meeting we have on Monday. Hopefully we are over-preparing and it will be no big deal. Fingers crossed!

Registered
    Jun 2011
    So we got a tiny dusting of snow in my county, but the others east of us weren't so lucky. We came in at 11 today, and are leaving at 4. Tomorrow is a 10 am start time. Woo.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Damn it.. woke up with a head ache and body ache. Don't want to be here today. Effin cold.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Damn it.. woke up with a head ache and body ache. Don't want to be here today. Effin cold.
    Serious run on cough drops here. Stores decimated. Thanks Obama

Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I usually include a statement in most of the emails and letters that I send that reads something to the effect of "Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions". If I ceased doing that would I cease getting questions?
    I never write that; it goes without saying. Still, I get criticized from time to time that my emails aren't nice enough. I guess emails are for making friends, not conveying information in an efficient manner.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Why do people keep bringing their dogs into the building? Couldn't you just leave them at home? And no, they are not service dogs.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I am still getting comments on "so you think you want to be a City Planner" Video. FYI, i do make money on views now too. Score!
    No Signature Required

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am finally watching Stranger Things. Man is that show good.
    My wife and I too. We're through Chapter 5 of season 1...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Got a good result from the EKG at the cardiologist yesterday. Y'all are apparently stuck with me for a while longer.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Got a good result from the EKG at the cardiologist yesterday. Y'all are apparently stuck with me for a while longer.
    Dammit.

[Actually, congratulations on the continued good health. ]
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141