Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resources on running meetings well?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Resources on running meetings well?

We had our organizational meeting last night with the Board of Zoning Appeals to set procedures in place to manage the variance requests for the highly contentious pipeline projects that are coming through the county. We have 11 hearings total. We retained legal counsel and technical consultants at the meeting last night, which is good. I'm very comfortable with the attorney - I worked with him at my previous job and have a lot of confidence in his abilities. The chair they elected is very capable of being firm, but fair, and I have full confidence in her abilities.

HOWEVER, the chair that they just elected was formerly the only person the BZA to make motions since she started. It was really clear that with the exception of the alternate who can participate in the discussions but not make motions or vote at this time, that the BZA members are very timid and appear to be in over their heads.

I'm hoping once they have a closed session with the attorney that their confidence levels will improve, but it was also suggested that I spend some time doing a parliamentary procedures primer with them. I don't think I have time to do it at this point, but does anyone have any good resources that we could potentially send to them? I was looking for something along the lines of a youtube video or maybe a really high level "cheat sheet." They haven't formally adopted Robert's Rules and just kind of wing it as far as making motions and such, but Robert's Rules is the basic framework.

Drafting a Rules of Procedure for the BZA would be a good idea.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    We did that already. I'm less interested in the procedures and more interested in giving the members some confidence in participating in the discussions, etc.

Tuff one then. It's too bad y'all can't have a training session and try to get this hammered out.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 Aug 2014, 10:22 AM
  2. Running government like a business
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 02 Aug 2012, 1:37 PM
  3. Running a planning department
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Oct 2007, 3:56 PM