Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to highlight really old but really relevent experience on résumé

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011

How to highlight really old but really relevent experience on résumé

I'm applying for a manager job, which of course asks for supervisory experience. The research says you usually put only 10-15 years' worth of professional experience on your résumé. My major supervisory experience was in a job 20 or so years ago, and another (not as major) about 13 years ago. How do I highlight those, especially the older one, on my résumé without dating myself too much? After the usually chronological order of recent experience, do I just put in a section called "Other previous professional experience" or something like that? Or should I just give them the whole 20-25 years history of my professional life?
    Last edited by Reefe; 27 Jan 2018 at 1:20 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Reefe View post
    I'm applying for a manager job, which of course asks for supervisory experience. The research says you usually put only 10-15 years' worth of professional experience on your résumé. My major supervisory experience was in a job 20 or so years ago, and another (not as major) about 13 years ago. How do I highlight those, especially the older one, on my résumé without dating myself too much? After the usually chronological order of recent experience, do I just put in a section called "Other previous professional experience" or something like that? Or should I just give them the whole 20-25 years history of my professional life?
    That's the fundamental problem with the "chronological" resume versus the skill set resume that describes the skills or tools you have for the job versus your experience. By moving a resume to the skills set instead, you never date yourself, but rather highlight the skills and tools your bring that are tailored to each job you apply for. It also helps to mask any age discrimination because you aren't dating anything really, but rather your roles, etc.
    No Signature Required

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Dec 2013, 9:59 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Apr 2011, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 10:20 AM
  4. Smart growth: still relevent?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2