Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things you feel bad enforcing

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Things you feel bad enforcing

There's a homeless family that I have to basically evict from a travel trailer they are illegally occupying. I feel bad about it, but they have made a nuisance of themselves all over the county and I understand that it causes problems for nearby property owners. Laws are laws, it just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Then today I get a notice about an illegal junkyard where there is not only a ton of trash, but the owners are burning tires and plastic (illegally). The person that submitted the complaint said that the house is in very poor condition - they have tarps on the roof to cover holes, etc. She did show concern that assistance be provided if available, and we're pursuing that, but I still need to send an enforcement letter about the trash.

Sometimes it just kind of feels like I'm kicking people when they're already down.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, kicking people out of their homes, no matter how squalid, is seldom something I relish. It would be one thing if I had some kind of social services-type carrot to offer these folks, but instead all I've got is a big code enforcement stick.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have some lady I have to take to court over trash pick up. I don't feel too sorry for her. She can afford Direct TV and a decent car so she can afford trash pick up, but I know we're going to spend time and money getting it cleaned up for her and it'll just happen again without some kind of counseling.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I have a list of buildings that should be fixed or demolished, and some of them are occupied homes.
    Staff can put the owners on a list to explore other funding but I have a nagging concern that the program doesn’t mandate financial classes or even a big FYI: your taxes about about to double on your fixed income. Moving someone out of a home valued less than $20k that wasn’t maintained and gifting the owner a brand new home with a much bigger tax bill doesn’t seem like we are setting them up for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Enforcing neighborhood covenants
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Jan 2017, 11:07 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Apr 2009, 3:28 PM
  3. Things that make me feel old
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 30 Apr 2007, 6:15 PM