Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cabela's v. BassPro

Registered
    Oct 2001

Cabela's v. BassPro

With Christmas season 2002 sales generally down, and the coveted “Bubba Market” played out by unusually high SUV and Bassboat prices, market observers knew that tensions had reached their boiling point. Yesterday’s announcement by Cabela’s offering a free Dale Earnheart Signature Mossberg 500 Mossy Oak Pump 12 Gauge with each new 500cc Honda Redwing ATV purchased before January 1, 2003 may have been the last straw in this ongoing feud. This photo was released today through the OLN network by a splinter group calling itself the Crimson Tide. Observers note that with tensions escalating for months between the redneck retail chain giants Bass Pro and Cabela’s it will come as no surprise that the violence has escalated to suicide bombings. In a related move several NASCAR drivers, including last week’s Ford 400 winner Kurt Busch and Winston Cup’s season’s second place driver Joe Nemechek called for calm and immediate peace talks.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    hee! i'll have to forward this to one of my friends that has the Cabella's reward credit card!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Absolutely brilliant!

It's unfortunate, though, that onetime segment leader L.L. Bean has gone mainly by the wayside in the competition among the outdoors lifestyle retailers. Perhaps experts can point to their lack of retail outlets, lack of baseball caps embroidered with depictions of leaping bass, or even the location of their corporate headquarters far north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Here in the KC Metro, I'm witnessing the evolution of what appears to be a RUGGED! power center, in the working class enclave of Kansas City, Kansas (as opposed to the hip, cosmopolitan 'burg of Kansas City, Missouri.). So far, there's a NASCAR speedway and a massive Cabela's store, located side-by-side. Bass Pro is scouting a location in the KC metro; if they pick a location next to Cabela's, an agglomeration of RUGGEDness like no other will be created, one which can't help but pull other RUGGED! retailers into the area. A huge GMC dealer, a cluster of chain restaurants with every Texas-themed steakhouse within walking distance of each other, REI and EMS flagship stores (for RUGGED! yuppies), and a retail outlet for the mighty McMaster-Carr Supply Company ... sorry, I have to stop now. The RUGGEDness is ovewhelming me.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    It's unfortunate, though, that onetime segment leader L.L. Bean has gone mainly by the wayside in the competition among the outdoors lifestyle retailers.
    Not exactly true - I just ordered my L.L. Bean edition Acura MXD with quadpro all wheel drive.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    Absolutely brilliant!....a cluster of chain restaurants with every Texas-themed steakhouse within walking distance of each other... sorry, I have to stop now. The RUGGEDness is ovewhelming me.
    You just don't get it do you Dan? Walking distance...that's for trailing a dying dear's blood trail. RUGGED MEN drive their Ford F450s to the Steakhouse. They don't walk!

Rugged is as Rugged does...

Registered
    Aug 2001

L. L. Beaner

I always perceived L. L. Bean attracting a different segment of the population.

Cabellas consumers are those hardcore outdoorsy folks who will go fly-fishing in their jeans and don't care if they get all muddy.

L. L. Bean consumers are those dainty outdoorsy folks who will go fly-fishing only in their wet-gear and, after they're finished, they spritz on some Polo cologne when they get in the truck.

By the way, any of you been up to Dundee, Michigan, and visited the Cabellas superstore? An amazing place! You'll get lost in wonder for hours!! Puts Ted Nugent to shame!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The Bean flagship store in Freeport, ME attracts a very different clientel tween midnight and 6am. If you're ever in the area I highly recommend stoping in and reading the guestbook log from those time periods. Highly amusing stuff. Or better yet visit during that time and just people watch.
    Oh and be sure to hang around to tent displays and listen to them being, uh..."tested."
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Hmmm, maybe a poll would be in order here.

I always preferred Cabela’s over Bass Pro. Santa always finds a few items from Cabela’s on my wish list and he always comes through, this year was no exception.

While the LL Bean store has a much broader selection than their catalogs, the catalogs have (and have grown more so over the years) been oriented more towards higher end clothing. Definitely geared towards the SUV or maybe Volvo wagon crowd.

If your a working guy or gal and drive a real pickup (not one of those girly four door half tons) you need to be shopping at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Wal-Mart
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oddly enough, I don't think either one has a market presence in Wisconsin. We're basically a Gander Mountain kinda place...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Runner
    If your a working guy or gal and drive a real pickup (not one of those girly four door half tons) you need to be shopping at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Wal-Mart
    Off-topic:
    Does having a Winter Garden-style bed box make the truck manlier? Does the lack of the aforementioned bed box render the truck "girly?"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Runner: While the LL Bean store....geared towards the SUV or maybe Volvo wagon crowd.
    Hey! I'm looking all over for a 240 wagon as we speak!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by El Guapo
    Hey! I'm looking all over for a 240 wagon as we speak!
    Your secret is safe with us Just don't take it to the Rugged Power Center, all the parking spots are reserved for excessively large vehicles only

Dan, What's a "winter garden" bed box? Oh, and a "real pickup" requires climbing up to mount the firey stead. A pedestrian should not be able to see over the hood or bed...
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Runner
    Dan, What's a "winter garden" bed box?

They're also called "saddle boxes" and "job boxes."

I call it "Winter Garden style" because the vast majority of drivers in that Florida town have one in their truck.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by Dan

They're also called "saddle boxes" and "job boxes."

I call it "Winter Garden style" because the vast majority of drivers in that Florida town have one in their truck.
    Aagh yes, now we are getting into the finer points of an appropriate ride for a Cabela's customer. Down here they are just refered to as a toolbox and you are correct. The truck should also have a headache rack and aftermarket bumpers either something from Ranch Hand or fabricated at home out of large diameter metal pipe. Oh, and a winch is always a good move.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Like this:

Cheers,
    UrbanRunner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    Oddly enough, I don't think either one has a market presence in Wisconsin. We're basically a Gander Mountain kinda place...
    I think there's a Cabellas in Prairie du Chein. You are right, though, we're mostly about Gander Mountain.

Incidently, I don't think REI is really in the same class or market as these.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I try to be practical. I ordered from Cabela's for the men in the family. Then Bass Pro Shops opened in Orlando so I go there now, since I can see the merchandise before I buy. (Plus, it's near all the big outlet stores/outlet malls, so hey, make a day of shopping out of it...).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I always thought both of them were way too overpriced, especially Cabella's. Dicks Sporting Goods is where I get all things hunting and fishing now....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Incentives for Cabela's and Bass Pro
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Aug 2012, 9:07 AM