Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Auto insurance issues after collision

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Auto insurance issues after collision

Called the insurance company for the dude that hit me on Thursday. They couldn't find a record of him by name or address, which apparently are the only two ways his insurance company can look it up. I have the driver's license number, plates, VIN, etc., but apparently those are useless. The crash report did not include a policy number or a phone number.

The woman told me I would just have to file it with my insurance. Like heck that's going to happen. I'm not paying a deductible when someone else hit me completely out of the blue for absolutely no reason.

Seriously, y'all. I have way too many stressors in my life at the moment. I'm going to lose it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Called the insurance company for the dude that hit me on Thursday. They couldn't find a record of him by name or address, which apparently are the only two ways his insurance company can look it up. I have the driver's license number, plates, VIN, etc., but apparently those are useless. The crash report did not include a policy number or a phone number.

The woman told me I would just have to file it with my insurance. Like heck that's going to happen. I'm not paying a deductible when someone else hit me completely out of the blue for absolutely no reason.

Seriously, y'all. I have way too many stressors in my life at the moment. I'm going to lose it.
    HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? What police agency wouldn't include in their report the contact information for all parties involved?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? What police agency wouldn't include in their report the contact information for all parties involved?
    Something similar happened to me a couple of years back. My uninsured motorist ended up covering it. A former cyburb had is car totaled by an uninsured motorist.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Something similar happened to me a couple of years back. My uninsured motorist ended up covering it. A former cyburb had is car totaled by an uninsured motorist.
    Yeah, but what freakin law enforcement agency is not going to get phone numbers when they're gathering information for an accident report? Sounds to me like a call to Andy Taylor is in order because Barney's not doing his job. Time to take his bullet away.

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Yeah, but what freakin law enforcement agency is not going to get phone numbers when they're gathering information for an accident report? Sounds to me like a call to Andy Taylor is in order because Barney's not doing his job. Time to take his bullet away.
    Oh, they got his number. However, his claim about being insured was BS. It wasn't the fault of the PD, the officer did his job. It was more the case that the person didn't have insurance.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2009

I thought you have to pay the deductible up front, and then get reimbursed once the insurance process is complete (i.e. the other guy pays or uninsured motorists policy kicks in). I remember the process being a pain when my wife got rear-ended.

Sorry for the hassle; I hope it gets better GT!
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    peach - let your insurance company got after the other company or person. Your guys (well all insurance guys) won't want to pay & they will try to get their $$$ back. They have had to do this before many times.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    peach - let your insurance company got after the other company or person. Your guys (well all insurance guys) won't want to pay & they will try to get their $$$ back. They have had to do this before many times.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. I got hit by a flying object on the Mid-Hudson Bridge once. The Bridge Authority had video footage of the guy who did the damage. I paid my $1000 (grrrrr!) deductible, gave all the information to the insurance company, and they decided it wasn't worth it to go after the truck driver.

I've since left Allstate. Come to find out -- I was not in good hands.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    By the way... If your policy's uninsured motorist coverage kicks in, the insurance company may still try to recover their loss. This happened to me 20+ years ago; just before moving I got rear-ended, boo-hoo, no insurance, didn't have cell phones back then so after getting her information I let her go on her way. My insurance (State Farm) went after her and what do you know? She was insured after all! So I get a call from her Farmers Insurance agent to verify the accident happened. Farmers paid State Farm, State Farm reimbursed my deductible. Yay!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I need to request a full crash report and then I'll also get in touch with the state police to see if they can get me in touch with the officer to see if he has additional information or contact information for the guy that hit me. The form that the officer fills out to hand to the different parties actually doesn't have a place for them to write down a phone number or the insurance policy number. That seems dumb.

If I file with my insurance company, I'll have to go ahead and pay the deductible and then if they can track down the other guy's insurance, I could potentially be reimbursed for it. My deductible is not terrible - $250. But I'm buying a house and then I need some stuff for the house (washer/dryer, new couch, curtains, fence, etc.) so this is really a terrible time for me to be paying even more money out for something like this that was not even remotely close to being my fault.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    But I'm buying a house and then I need some stuff for the house (washer/dryer, new couch, curtains, fence, etc.) so this is really a terrible time for me to be paying even more money out for something like this that was not even remotely close to being my fault.
    Too bad you're a thousand miles away; if we end up moving I'm going to have an extra washer and dryer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    Too bad you're a thousand miles away; if we end up moving I'm going to have an extra washer and dryer.
    Man. That does suck! Actually, the thing I find most hilarious is that the people buying my house specifically requested my microwave. It IS a really nice microwave, but it's just one you set on the counter. But I can live without that for a while if needed!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Weird.

I think we'll end up with two washers, two dryers, three refrigerators if the stuff that's in the new house stays. (It doesn't say anything in the listing about the fridge in the garage, but there's one there).

Oh, and there's a random sofa in there too.

Other than that, the house is fully vacant.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    Weird.

I think we'll end up with two washers, two dryers, three refrigerators if the stuff that's in the new house stays. (It doesn't say anything in the listing about the fridge in the garage, but there's one there).

Oh, and there's a random sofa in there too.

Other than that, the house is fully vacant.
    Those details should be specified in the contract. The only thing along those lines specified for our new house was the seller leaving the fridge. Turns out they also left us another fridge in the basement (beer fridge!!!) and a very nice (but dated) Bose surround sound system (which is going to the husband of a coworker whenever they buy their first house).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We haven't signed a contract yet. The listing does say that appliances come with the house (and names them).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Home & Car Insurance
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Jun 2014, 9:58 AM
  2. Homeowner's Insurance
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Nov 2007, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Dec 2004, 5:21 PM