Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Decline of Western Civilization

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Decline of Western Civilization

What proof can you provide that Western Civilization is in decline?
    I'll start:
    - The inexplicable popularity of "songs" like 'Gucci Gang'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2006
    You mean Penelope Spheeris 1980 landmark documentary (filmed in 1979) about the early L.A. Hardcore scene? Its a landmark of DIY Filmmaking in Punk. She later went on to direct Waynes World.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    You mean Penelope Spheeris 1980 landmark documentary (filmed in 1979) about the early L.A. Hardcore scene? Its a landmark of DIY Filmmaking in Punk. She later went on to direct Waynes World.

I had a feeling you would mention that film. Nope, this is a thread with a somewhat different theme.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    - The inexplicable popularity of "songs" like 'Gucci Gang'
    Looks like that was filmed at the NRHP-listed Torrance High School.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Algorithms at Google/Facebook that only show you what they think you like based on your online activity
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Algorithms at Google/Facebook that only show you what they think you like based on your online activity
    Off-topic:
    See, she gets it.

- Planned obsolescence

- The rise (or return, rather) of populism

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I question if the topic is serious, or a jab at pop culture... however, I think it is serious and to better understand where we are going wrong, I think it is good to look at where others went wrong... Some historians say that Rome fell for the following reasons:
    • Invasions by Barbarian tribes
      We have a double edged sword of domestic and foreign terrorism. Sad thing is domestic terrorism has caused far more damage and is frequently ignored.
    • Economic troubles and overreliance on slave labor
      Today, we have a similar situation where the gap between the wealthy and the poor is always increasing and the wealthy is becoming more and more dependent on the poor to provide the labor force that helps make them wealthy.
    • The rise of the Eastern Empire
      Norway is the happiest country in the world, Hong Kong and Switzerland are the freest countries in the world, Qutar is the wealthiest, and Denmark has the highest quality of life index. We need to start thinking holistically if we are going to keep up.
    • Overexpansion and military overspending
      US Federal Budget Nothing more to say about this.
    • Government corruption and political instability
      Right now, there is less confidence in the democratic system and partisan politics have resulted in not doing what is good for the American people, but what is good for their party. Did I mention Trump is running the show? He is unstable.
    • The arrival of the Huns and the migration of the Barbarian tribes
      Our illegal immigration problem is an issue that won't be solved with a wall. It can only be solved with a better structured approach to citizenship and making sure that those who are here for illegal activities are prevented from getting in. Not the people who build our houses, work in our restaurants, pick our crops, or clean our buildings. Help illegals become part of America instead of keeping them separate from America.
    • Christianity and the loss of traditional values
      We have shifted from being a country with strong Christian roots (you can argue all you want, but you're wrong) but today those traditional values have become attached based on a perverted concept of freedom of speech and personal expression. Perversion is everywhere and is either burred under the rug, used as a form of entertainment, or is accepted as common occurrence.
    • Weakening of the Roman legions
      We have various forms of our government working against each other. Different branches of the government jockeying for power, the FBI trying to dictate agendas, the CIA withholding information from other agencies and spying on citizens, and several factions of the military doing their own thing at at times working against each other. We don't have a cohesive government, we have fragmented collection of independent factions that are always striving for dominance at the cost of our freedoms and a better America.

So yea, I think we have serious issues and frankly, I would not be surprised of there is a total collapse of Western Civilization in the next 30 years.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    the internet - because the internet never lies to anyone.

social media - another place of 100% accurate information.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    the internet - because the internet never lies to anyone.
    It lied to me just yesterday. It swore the thing I needed to get to was in X spot and I got off the bus right next to X spot and, nope, wrong place. I ultimately walked an hour to get to where I was going.

(Yes, I realize you are probably being sarcastic. Or, I assume you are. Whatevs.)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Hey now. The internet doesn't lie. It just thought you might be interested in something at the first stop. No that wasn't another woman on the internet's arm, you must be delirious from all that walking.

Apparently the internet is also a bad ladies man.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have known a ladies man. He lied more smoothly than this.

The place I went to is so used to people stopping in and asking for the other place, they had a hand out and verbal directions all ready for me. The internet apparently tells this lie a whole lot and has for a long time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Playing & Improving Civilization II
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Jul 2011, 8:01 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Dec 2010, 8:40 AM
  3. Anyone else play Civilization?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 5:43 PM