Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Greatest NFL QB's ever

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Greatest NFL QB's ever

For those who can argue this better than me:

Who is/was the better NFL quarterback, overall?

Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO. Because, you know, death, taxes, and thread splits.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post

Joe Montana

Our little town is having a big problem over where people sit on the board. It's entertaining to watch because it's not me.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005

I wouldn't touch that debate until Brady retires.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004

Johnny Unitas?

I mean if numbers are the only gauge then Brady probably wins. But there's more to being the Greatest QB Ever than throwing for the most yards or making the most completions. There's that whole intangible spirit of leadership thing to consider too.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Brady is the best QB of all time, but a fair margin. I don't enjoy his personally, but I can objectively see that.

Peyton Manning was good, but not in terms of winning.

Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Dan Marino, and Brett Farve all have different reasons for consideration, but when it comes to stats, winning, and consistency, Brady wins outright.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Brady is the best QB of all time, but a fair margin. I don't enjoy his personally, but I can objectively see that.

Peyton Manning was good, but not in terms of winning.

Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Dan Marino, and Brett Farve all have different reasons for consideration, but when it comes to stats, winning, and consistency, Brady wins outright.
    I want to see parallel universe Brady where Belichick stayed as HC of NYJ and see how he does without him, or similarly where Belichick doesn't have Brady. It's so hard to judge a QB on his own merit when their entire career was spent with one team and one coach.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Definitely Brady - though as a rabid Pats fan, I wished he had retired after his ring last year - I mean, really, 10 years ago, with one minute left to play, he would have charged down that field like it was nothing - no shame in retiring from professional football at 40, for heaven's sake!

What I don't like about Peyton is he blamed his receivers publicly when they would lose, and often whined on the field - Brady doesn't appear to do this ever

The past QB's of lore are likely more romanticized like montana and Unitas - I think Brady still wins it
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Yeah, but put Brady on a different team, with a different coach, no SB rings. Peyton won SB's under two different teams, one of the being the Colts. The Pats will plug someone else in at QB and still win. However, without Peyton gone, the Colts fell apart. I will give you that the SB with the Broncos, the D basically won the game. Peyton managed not to lose it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Of the QBs I've seen play in my lifetime, I'd have to say Brady is the GOAT. He's consistently put up the numbers (in terms of stats and wins) throughout his career and he's done it without the star receivers like Montana had with Rice and even Ricky Watters. Gronk is a great TE but he is injury prone and he is no Jerry Rice. Randy Moss was awesome but he was on the downward slope of his career when he came to NE (and reportedly had some huge attitude problems) and then Brady gave him some of the best seasons of his career.

Wes Welker was consistently good, but he was a slot receiver without the big play capability of Moss or Deion Branch.

I agree with AG that it would be interesting to see how well Brady or Belichick would do without the other.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2002
    I will agree that Brady is one of the greatest ever. But you just can't compare guys now to guys who played in earlier eras. The game and its rules have been changed so much to favor the offense and quarterbacks and receivers specifically. Unitas called most of his own plays. And then 5 seconds after the ball was thrown he'd get the ever-living shit knocked out of him by a defensive player and it was perfectly legal. Then he'd line up and do it again. There were lots of guys like that.

A name I think is left off of a lot of "best QB" lists that is very deserving is Warren Moon. The guy won 5 straight Grey Cups in the CFL before even getting to the NFL. His numbers are phenomenal. He'd have every passing record in the book if he'd played his whole career in the NFL.

And just to get off topic a bit, the greatest athlete I've ever seen in my lifetime is Bo Jackson. Hands down. He could do anything. The guy's career ended because he was literally too strong and fast and dislocated his hip
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I will agree that Brady is one of the greatest ever. But you just can't compare guys now to guys who played in earlier eras. The game and its rules have been changed so much to favor the offense and quarterbacks and receivers specifically. Unitas called most of his own plays. And then 5 seconds after the ball was thrown he'd get the ever-living shit knocked out of him by a defensive player and it was perfectly legal. Then he'd line up and do it again. There were lots of guys like that.

A name I think is left off of a lot of "best QB" lists that is very deserving is Warren Moon. The guy won 5 straight Grey Cups in the CFL before even getting to the NFL. His numbers are phenomenal. He'd have every passing record in the book if he'd played his whole career in the NFL.

And just to get off topic a bit, the greatest athlete I've ever seen in my lifetime is Bo Jackson. Hands down. He could do anything. The guy's career ended because he was literally too strong and fast and dislocated his hip
    This is kind of where I sit on this. I've wondered how those early-era QBs would do under the current rule format. I was a Houston Oilers fan, so I've got a certain affinity for Warren Moon as tremendously underrated. You can also list me as a vote for the ridiculousness that was Bo Jackson.

I tend to give Brady the nod as the greatest for one reason: he made a variety of players around him look far better than they actually were/are. Gronk, Welker, Edelman, etc. while reasonably talented, were made light years better having Brady under center. I even extend that to Belichick, as his initial HC round in Cleveland was rather inauspicious. I subscribe to the idea that Brady made Belichick successful, and that he isn't as smart as he is often depicted.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Bart Starr
    Bret Farve
    Aaron Rogers

The rest are wannabes.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    What? No Elway? No Marino?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Football is such a team sport that wins should not be a determining factor in qb's greatness. If Vinitari goes wide left or right in the playoffs and the Pats have 3 Super Bowl wins rather than 5 it is a different conversation. Besides, GOAT's don't cheat.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Bart Starr
    Bret Farve
    Aaron Rogers

The rest are wannabes.
    Yeah, Favre is my man. I wasn't a fan when he played, but he was a pretty amazing.

Registered
    May 2004
    I despise the man, the team, the style of quarterbacking, and everything else related to Tom Brady but I don’t see how he is not objectively the GOAT. Sure maybe swap him for Montana or Marino or Manning or Farve or whoever in the same exact circumstances and they are as maybe as successful but that’s not the reality we have to judge this on and we can never know if they would be as great under the circumstances. Brady is a pos and a cheater and the patriots are evil but he is undeniably the greatest.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There are 26 Moden Era QB's in the NFL Hall of Fame
    http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...ame/positions/

Bob Griese
    HS - in my fair city
    College - Purdue
    Super Bowls - 2
    Also in College Football Hall of Fame

Purdue Cradle of Quarterbacks
    http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m...rterbacks.html

Drew Brees, Dawson and Griese as Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, Purdue is one of just two universities that can claim three Super Bowl champs at the position.
    (The other is Alabama with Bart Starr, Ken Stabler and Joe Namath.)
    Last edited by JNA; 08 Feb 2018 at 7:40 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 12:24 PM
  2. The Greatest [Whatever] Ever
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 9:00 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 1:57 PM
  4. The Greatest Ever?
    Friday Afternoon Club