Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: International moving advice sought

Registered
    Feb 2007

International moving advice sought

Anyone one experienced internationally moving (aside from military)? It's not me, but got to move my mom to central america in the next few months. She doesn't have much stuff to bring, but it definitely can't all fit on a plane
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Anyone one experienced internationally moving (aside from military)? It's not me, but got to move my mom to central america in the next few months. She doesn't have much stuff to bring, but it definitely can't all fit on a plane

ROAD TRIP!!!

Seriously, you probably need to line up a freight forwarder.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post

ROAD TRIP!!!

Seriously, you probably need to line up a freight forwarder.
    Yea.. it just i don't even know where to begin aside from google and getting quotes here and there.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Could you put it in a container and ship it by sea?

http://www.exship.com/el_salvador.aspx

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Could you put it in a container and ship it by sea?

http://www.exship.com/el_salvador.aspx
    That's basically what my friends did when they moved to the Dominican Republic last year for a job.
    • Don't take much with you
    • For the airplane, maximize your luggage with stuff you will need over the next 6-8 weeks
    • For the rest, ship in a container (which will sometimes take a while to arrive)

Think carefully about what you take with you. Some things can be quite expensive overseas, but other things are sometimes reasonable/cheap. Furniture wasn't very expensive in the DR that I recall. What you do bring, consider how it will do in a humid, tropical climate. Oh, and finding a decent mattress is a bit challenging.

If there isn't just a ton of stuff, you can consider subsequent trips to visit and bring it with you.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2003
    We did a number of international moves when I worked for Bekins Van Lines a gajillion years ago. They were all corporate-paid moves for high up execs that were going to be overseas for extended periods. FWIW:

1) Sell everything she can sell and start over with new stuff at the destination.
    2) Hire a professional mover to load what she HAS to take with her furniture/furnishings-wise. They will pack the container that goes aboard ship and you want that sucker packed as tight as possible. Rough seas and high waves are completely unforgiving on poorly packed wood furniture. (She'll get a container full of sawdust otherwise.)
    3) Check the destination country for any restrictions/fees on household goods being brought to the new country. There may be taxes that will make it too costly to bring some things.

Good luck!
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    No No No... your all doing it wrong.

When moving a good distance, determine what you cannot part with and liquidate the rest. Then for those things that you think you can't part with, try to whittle that down even further to the point where you are taking the absolute essentials for happiness. We had to make some hard choices, but we are very happy that we were no longer attached to those possessions.

When we relocated, we were able to fit all the possessions for a family of 5 in 1/4 of a moving truck and the back of a suburban.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    agree with selling as much as possible -

ship only what you are okay with losing, though, to theft as I have friends who have magically lost things in shipping and carry what means the most to you
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    No No No... your all doing it wrong.

When moving a good distance, determine what you cannot part with and liquidate the rest. Then for those things that you think you can't part with, try to whittle that down even further to the point where you are taking the absolute essentials for happiness. We had to make some hard choices, but we are very happy that we were no longer attached to those possessions.

When we relocated, we were able to fit all the possessions for a family of 5 in 1/4 of a moving truck and the back of a suburban.
    When I moved here-800+ mile move, I purged a lot of stuff. Granted, I didn't have much since it was a during the week crash pad. I used a moving company. Being newly single, I had, what my parents called, college kid stuff. I ended up buy stuff when I got here.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving from public to private - any advice?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Sep 2016, 7:35 PM
  2. Career advice sought grad school/other ?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 1:39 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last post: 24 Mar 2010, 1:53 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 May 2008, 11:11 AM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Aug 2006, 12:06 PM