Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Taking stock of resources: a lesson in home economics

Registered
    Feb 2004

Taking stock of resources: a lesson in home economics

I posted about our travails in the Spam thread,

Thing is, in a way I actually kind of enjoy these sorts of events. Reminds me of childhood when the family had to really scramble to make ends meet. The act of taking stock of available resources and formulating plans with the various restrictions imposed requires one to be resourceful and that can be a stimulating exercise ('enjoy' is probably too strong a word) . Unfortunately, the rest of the family doesn't seem to see it that way and insist on treating the situation like it's some kind of misfortune. I wish there were a way I could encourage them to adjust their attitudes accordingly.

How about you, don't you occasionally find situations where you're called upon to summon your resourcefulness kind of mentally invigorating? It would be one thing if this sort of thing is a way of life with no light at the end of the tunnel, but on a temporary basis, it's just not that terrible.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I've done what I've referred to as "pantry fasts" before where I've basically just used what I have available at home to make meals until I use down some of my surplus supplies. I don't LOVE it, but it always feels good to know that the items are not being wasted, and it's amazing how much money I save those months!

Have you ever watched Chopped? I wonder if doing something similar to that might make it more fun. Turn it into a game and have some small stakes prize for the winner. Whoever wins gets to pick the movie to watch that night or something like that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Have you ever watched Chopped? I wonder if doing something similar to that might make it more fun. Turn it into a game and have some small stakes prize for the winner. Whoever wins gets to pick the movie to watch that night or something like that.
    No, what is this Chopped you speak of?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Lately I've really gotten in to watching that show, in addition to Forged in Fire on the History Channel. I know they're both crazy hyped up reality shows, but they each demonstrate interesting learned skills.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    No, what is this Chopped you speak of?
    It's a show on Food Network. Contestants are given an assortment of random ingredients and have to come up with dishes that incorporate them all. Sometimes, the ingredients are super random: https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/chopped

I'm also a forged in Fire fan. It's a fun show, plus they make weapons. Back to the topic at hand. No I do not enjoy it. I've had to scramble and starve in the past. It's not fun. I've had to pinch pennies to they screamed. I also grew up in a home where things got tough and worked hard and long to survive. To this day, I can't stand Ramen noodles and Marquez microwavable burritos.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Some years back, I had a similar week-ish. Among other things, we had a large bottle of olive oil and a bunch of flour. We made all kinds of flat bread and varied it by flavoring stuff. We made cheesy flat bread and cinnamon flat bread and plain flat bread. It went well with all kinds of stuff.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Been getting pretty resourceful. Had chana dal (without any naan or other traditional Indian accoutrements) last night. We found some slightly freezer burnt stewing meat and freezer burnt chicken. Maybe make a pot pie from scratch. We have lots of baking supplies and it looks like we're going to run out of bread by tomorrow so it looks like we'll be baking bread this weekend too. That's okay

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Repairs and Home Economics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 24 Aug 2007, 2:13 PM
  2. Home Economics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 25 May 2006, 9:49 AM
  3. A lesson for the Democrats
    Friday Afternoon Club