Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things YOU do that drive your SO nuts

Registered
    Feb 2004

Things YOU do that drive your SO nuts

You know exactly what it is that your SO does (or did) that drives you nuts. Maybe you mutter under your breath when it happens, maybe it precipitates a fight......but let's be honest, relationships are a two-way street. Surely there's something YOU do (or did) that drives your partner insane too (or so they claim). What are those behaviors?

Me, I make the mistake of de-stressing in two ways that evidently drives my SO nuts:
    1) play computer games for a period longer than 30 minutes.
    I should be spending that time doting on her instead.
    2) listen to or watch on YouTube the song "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult with the volume turned up.
    It's an obnoxious song. You've heard it before dozens of times. Aren't you tired of hearing it AGAIN? It's too loud.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Chew.

I can chew on a marshmallow and she'd say I'm making too much noise. For whatever reason, the sound of chewing is a trigger for her.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    When the wife has a bad day, I try to fix things and offer input. She just wants me to listen without talking and 100% agree with everything she says, even if she is wrong.

She also hates arguing with me because I argue like an attorney and she ends up saying something that eliminates her reason or argument or proves that I am right. She does not like it when I am right.

I also back into parking spaces, I eat spicy foods, I will do all the laundry without folding the clothes, and she does not like that I put the dishes into the dishwasher do they face the center.

Finally, the I will 'fix' the toilet paper roll so it goes over instead of under, I will keep the house at 68 degrees and she says that is too cold, and I tend to track saw dust into the house from my garage /woodshop.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    When the wife has a bad day, I try to fix things and offer input. She just wants me to listen without talking and 100% agree with everything she says, even if she is wrong.

She also hates arguing with me because I argue like an attorney and she ends up saying something that eliminates her reason or argument or proves that I am right. She does not like it when I am right.

I also back into parking spaces, I eat spicy foods, I will do all the laundry without folding the clothes, and she does not like that I put the dishes into the dishwasher do they face the center.

Finally, the I will 'fix' the toilet paper roll so it goes over instead of under, I will keep the house at 68 degrees and she says that is too cold, and I tend to track saw dust into the house from my garage /woodshop.
    Most of those are a universal comment on the divide between husband and wife.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Respond to suggestive comments with, "that is what see said."

Using the word, "moist."
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Apparently, telling her she is wrong, when she is in fact wrong, didn't go over too well.

Being the kids' preferred parent wasn't helpful either.

Oh, well.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mrs. P leaves lights on when she leaves a room or closet. She'll go out to the garage and come back in a forget to turn off the light. She'll go in the closet and not turn off the closet light. I've come home from work and they are shinning bright.

She also sees the worst case scenario in most things. Example - I'm going to the storage building to get my albums (vinyl for you younger ones) and she said that they'll all be ruined because they've were in the attic and now storage and the temps would have ruined them by now (guess what, they're fine). She said she does that so when it turns out better she won't be disappointed.

Yep, she might be crazy. She married me didn't she!?!?!?!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    This list could go on forever. Especially if you asked her. Here's a few:
    1. Smoking cigars in the garage - I guess the smell gets into the house
    2. Using the bathroom - I guess the smell gets around
    3. Not running the dishwasher - it must be empty before she can go to bed.
    4. Not handling the kids problems - did I mention the kids will walk right by me without saying anything and go bug mom.
    5. leaving lights on or just turning on lights in general
    6. leaving my shoes under the bed - she trips on them. Just be grateful I don't leave them out in the open anymore
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Cleaning the house when she is watching TV.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Evidently, I roll my eyes/sigh a lot. I didn't realize I did, until I got married.

Also, I interrupt him sometimes. Usually, when he accuses me of interrupting him, it's because I can't hear him when he's in the other room and I start talking/asking him a question as I walk towards him.

Wanting to talk about possible options that might be available after a decision has been made. Hey - the decision isn't made yet, so don't go bringing up all those unnecessary distractions! Well - I like to toss the ideas around - helps me make decisions.

Talking too loudly on the phone.

Not throwing the beer cap away immediately after opening the beer.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW

Never had and never will have that problem.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 47
    Last post: 13 Aug 2013, 12:15 PM
  2. Nuts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 08 Jan 2010, 9:16 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 7:04 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 12:44 PM