Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What? (I can't understand what they said)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

What? (I can't understand what they said)

Today I picked up lunch at a local BBQ place and the young man that was working behind the counter had a particular way with his words... as in I could not understand anything he said. It was not a foreign language barrier thing, but a dialect thing. It was almost a deep backwoods south meets Ebonics.

What dialects are difficult for you to understand? How do you deal with a situation where you want a quality BBQ sandwich but you have zero idea what the server just said to you?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Repeat the order.

I'd like a chopped coarse brown bbq sandwich with slaw on the side.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Today I picked up lunch at a local BBQ place and the young man that was working behind the counter had a particular way with his words... as in I could not understand anything he said. It was not a foreign language barrier thing, but a dialect thing. It was almost a deep backwoods south meets Ebonics.
    That just sounds like you need an English-to-Yankee translator.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

This is coming from someone who has managed to decipher Cajun and New Orleans, backwoods KY. I had someone come into my office in KY and could not understand a word they were saying. I had to have the EM come up and translate for me so I could issue a permit. At the Y have overheard conversations that I knew were supposed to be in English but had no idea what they were saying.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Maybe the guy from the BBQ joint was speaking Gullah? I've encountered a few people who spoke that down that way and that's one that always threw me.

When I was little my dad had a coworker who spoke a mix of regular ole boring English and Louisiana Creole. When he would call our house if me or my sister answered we had no idea what he was saying so we just yelled out, "Dad! It's for you!" When the guy would visit our house or when my dad would be on the phone with him for a while I could hear my dad's speech drifting in that direction. He says there were so many people from Louisiana or Mississippi in the factories in Detroit who moved up here in the '40s and '50s and '60s that he got used to it pretty quickly.

When I saw the farmer talking about the Shoshone Indian arrowheads in Napoleon Dynomite it reminded me of a few of the older farmers I knew when I was little. I could barely understand them when I was little.

^I imagine that Lyle, the farmer in the clip, is what all the folks coming into DVDNeal's office sound like!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'll get a few like that. For the most part I just get people who sound like their drunk.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2005

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 45
    Last post: 20 Feb 2018, 8:00 AM
  2. People Just Don't Understand Detroit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 02 Feb 2013, 12:14 PM
  3. Replies: 60
    Last post: 18 Jul 2011, 5:08 PM