Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help me decorate my new house

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Help me decorate my new house

You all did such a good job previously helping me pick out new dishes, that I'll ask for your feedback on furniture for my new house! My couches are old and smell like dirty dogs, so I'm going to move them to the outside workshop for the dogs to lounge on during the day and get new ones for my new house. I'm leaning towards the sectional option. At first I was thinking dark brown or grey, but I really love this one:

https://www.grandhomefurnishings.com...sectional-sofa

What do we think? Is it worth $300 to upgrade to the sleeper sofa option?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I never slept on a pull-out sofa. Well I should say I've never been able to sleep on a pull-out sofa. They are so very uncomfortable.

I'd save the $300 and buy a good air matrass if you have company.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'd save the $300 and buy a good air matrass if you have company.
    C'mon, she's not a college student. A futon would be a more practical buy - serves two functions: couch and bedding.
    Personally, I've always been partial to sectionals, so that's not a bad idea IMO.

What about furniture styles and colors, what are you partial to gtpeach?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Having owned one and now inherited one, they really aren't worth it. Plus, they are incredibly heavy and a pain to move. This is coming from a fairly strong person. The section would be cool. Just remember, you need to buy a velvet Elvis and a black light painting.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    The section would be cool. Just remember, you need to buy a velvet Elvis and a black light painting.
    And remember, it's important to pick the right type of wood paneling, because it sets the mood for the entire room. Some might recommend going with a tight berber carpet, but I always say classics like shag carpet never go out of style.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I like that sectional! I won't comment on color since I'm partial to red myself. That it's in microfiber is perfect ... I have 4 cats that shed alot and 1 dog that doesn't and my microfiber recliner is the only upholstered piece that doesn't have to be covered to minimize massive pet hair accumulations and daily vacuuming.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2003
    I really like the cinnamon color of that sectional. As a former mover, I truly hate sleeper sofas. If you don't know what you are doing when moving one, they can take a finger off in the blink of an eye. And, I have never slept well on a sleeper. Save teh monies!

What style is your new home? Are you going to decorate in that style, sympathetic to that style, or throw caution to the wind? I'm great at spending other people's money
    Not valid without corporate seal

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Man! Y'all are so helpful. I had a really nice futon, but I had to throw out the mattress - it was in the basement and the cats took it over and it just didn't fare well. But I don't really have room for a futon and a sofa, so maybe I'll just go with the sofa. Someone could comfortably sleep on it without the pull out, right?

Hmmm... Style. I mean, it's all been upgraded and is modern. You walk in and there's a small foyer and then to the left is the master bedroom that was an add-on and directly in front is the kitchen. It has black and white granite counters and all new stainless steel appliances. There's a half wall behind the kitchen and then the living room. I think the sectional will fit well with the shorter end along that half wall.

The only kind of weird thing I have so far is orange vinyl chairs to sit at the island that you'll see when you first walk in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Orange is my favorite color and the lights that are hanging down over the counter are orange (that was a fun surprise - they didn't know it was my favorite), so I decided to go ahead and play on that. https://www.houzz.com/product/372986...CABEgKKW_D_BwE.

So the kitchen will be a combination of funky retro and modern, I guess. In general I like warm colors, so the cinnamon appeals to me. But I could also do greys as an accent to do a cooler vibe, I guess. I'm trying to upgrade to nicer furniture since a lot of the stuff I have now is pretty beat up and came from thrift stores and yard sales. I do want to refinish a few pieces I have, though, so there may be some vintage de-stressed furniture making it's way into the mix.

So, I pretty much have no set style and will just kind of do whatever and none of it will match, most likely!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Man! Y'all are so helpful. I had a really nice futon, but I had to throw out the mattress - it was in the basement and the cats took it over and it just didn't fare well. .....
    My most comfy mattresses have been futons. For a couple years I slept on a click-clack style (without the divided backrest, which are a pain to sleep on). When I got my current Ikea bedframe, I went to Big Lots and bought a futon mattress for it.

Having slept on a pull out before, the are incredibly uncomfortable. The mattresses tend to be thin and your back invariably one of the metal cross pieces. I longer, comfy sofa is a better sleep. Let's just say when you've pissed off your better half and have been consigned to the sofa for the night(s), a comfy sofa is a necessity. Not that I would know anything about that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love the color of the sofa. So many things lately are grey, and I just don't care for it.

Skip the sleeper sofa. They are a pain to move, even across the floor. It looks like you have room for a guest bedroom, anyway.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have to agree with not getting a pull out sofa. Incredibly heavy and horrible to sleep on.

If you're going with the wood paneling, I recommend an old school coach like this one:
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    If you're going with the wood paneling, I recommend an old school coach like this one:
    Getting the right wall art is critical. A few more suggestions:

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Can I also recommend this more stylish couch for relaxing on after that long day of fighting battles.

Edit: the picture didn't load so hopefully this link works. You might have to swipe past a couple images.
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...image-52946077

Shag carpeting, you have to get shag carpeting.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have to agree with not getting a pull out sofa. Incredibly heavy and horrible to sleep on.

That would go great with macramé. I would say vintage macramé but is there really new macramé?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Is it a bad sign that I kind of like this?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    So, I pretty much have no set style and will just kind of do whatever and none of it will match, most likely!
    What it sounds like is quintessential eclectic style -- mixing diverse elements that appeal to you whether or not they meet others' ideas of what matches or not.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I actually have something about that old in my living room at the moment. My son's dog chewed up the sofa and going into the Christmas season we had nothing for the living room so I picked up a sofa and chair for $10 at an estate sale. It cost me more in Febreeze to get the tobacco smell out of them.

And now we're moving to a new house... not sure if I want that ratty sofa in there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I'm putting my old ratty furniture in the workshop. I'm going to fence in the backyard and put a doggy door in the workshop so they can hang out in there when the weather's bad. They'll be lounging in style (for dogs!).

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't know about your area, but stop by the local thrift store (DAV in my case) and you'll find tons of '60s and '70s furniture.

If nothing else, you're super talented, make a slip cover that get the right color to match those chicken plates.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I don't know about your area, but stop by the local thrift store (DAV in my case) and you'll find tons of '60s and '70s furniture.

If nothing else, you're super talented, make a slip cover that get the right color to match those chicken plates.
    I'm only super talented at making things out of food. I feel like an edible slip cover may not work out so great in the long run.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A word about window blinds: vertical blinds collect less dust and require less frequent cleaning than horizontal 'venetian' blinds.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I'm not going the blinds route - curtains all the way. These for the living room (with the fun red sectional that y'all approved): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These for the bedroom - I have grey sheets and a red/black/grey quilt for the bed. It might be a little busy, but I think it'll tie in okay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm only super talented at making things out of food. I feel like an edible slip cover may not work out so great in the long run.
    The dogs would enjoy it!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What should I do to buy a house?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 20 Mar 2006, 5:06 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Dec 2005, 9:32 PM
  3. I am looking for my first house!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 22 Jul 2004, 11:33 AM