Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Commute Feels

Registered
    Feb 2007

Commute Feels

I have done all types of commutes in my short existence on this planet for work. From subway trains, walking, car, up a large “grade” do just seeing cows in the middle of farm fields. What’s your current commute like? Yea, my realm of this earth may be patched but damn it makes for a beautiful commute. So post a pic of your daily madness to your desk fort.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My MARTA train ride takes me past the Sweetwater Brewery.

#it's five-thirty somewhere
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004

20 minutes ago.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Mine involves driving through a pine forrest part of the way.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Probably the nicest part of mine (especially in summer):
    https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1391...2!8i6656?hl=en
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I drive by a mini-Garden District - a la New Orleans - on my way into work every morning into this declining Rust Belt downtown area.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    This is a few blocks from the office, but I also go thru the downtown of a small town (about 3 blocks long).

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6698...2!8i6656?hl=en
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Today, mine would look a lot like Maister's.

Generally, my commute is just through your typical suburban landscape but sometimes I like to get off the main road and detour around the little lakes or drive through the neighborhoods with the multi-million homes, especially when the weather is nice and I have the roof off the Jeep.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I may bump this in a couple of months. There's a greenspace under construction near me that should provide a nice shortcut for walking to MARTA after it's finished - right now it's just a sidewalk through a mud hole...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2011
    According to Google Maps, my commute is 1.1 miles for a total time of 3 minutes.

It says it would take me 22 minutes to walk to the office, which seems crazy. It's only a mile.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I drive by a crappy mall and through a neighborhood because the street never got upgraded to a real road when the town grew.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Mine is absolutely awful...the absolute pits: Slow drivers, school buses in both lanes, texters, school zones, slow drivers, pot holes, mistimed red lights, slow drivers, ugly streetscapes of nothingness where viable neighborhoods used to be, and slow drivers. Also, since I drive directly east in the morning (and the reverse the way back), the sun is in my face the whole way and is especially bad in late February-March and September-October. Sometimes, if it's a clear morning, I have to leave for work 10-15 minutes early just to avoid the bright sunrise. At least until DST begins, giving a reprieve for about three weeks.

Oh, did I mention slow drivers? In the passing lane and texting?

My commute is 6.2 miles, but it seems like double that. I am so frazzled after each trip that I need to put down at least two drinks when I get home. But I can't because of the meds.

To make matters worse, we recently lost our closer parking lot at work, so not only do I have to drive more than a half mile further each way, I have to walk twice as far each way too. I estimate that It is adding at least 10-15 minutes onto my already stressful commute time. That is more than a hour extra week of walking/commuting. At this rate, I will have spent an extra day in the car by the end of the year and at least another extra day just walking to and from the car to the office.
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 10 Feb 2018 at 3:48 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If my commute was only 6 miles I'd ride my bike. I rode regularly when I had a 7 mile commute. Once we move (assuming all goes though), I may try to ride more; the commute will be 11 miles.

I've done as much as a 17 mile commute. Here's the video to prove it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I currently work from home.

[Stares at feet.]

Mumbles "sorry".

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I may bump this in a couple of months. There's a greenspace under construction near me that should provide a nice shortcut for walking to MARTA after it's finished - right now it's just a sidewalk through a mud hole...
    Looks like they started with the landscaping on Friday - at least portions of the end of it closet to my casa have sod down. Hopefully I'll have a good pic to post come springtime.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    I currently work from home.

[Stares at feet.]

Mumbles "sorry".
    I like to joke about my 10-second commute down the stairs on the days I WFH.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The morning commute today was sort of pretty, thanks to all the fresh, wet snow that was sticking to everything.

I decided to cut through one of the back roads out of my neighborhood:

To see if maybe there was finally a for sale sign in front of one of my dream homes:

No luck.

It's one of Frank Lloyd Wright's smaller homes and it has sat empty, but well maintained, for at least a decade. From what I can tell, it's owned by some people who moved away years ago but they still keep the house and occasionally return and open it up for tours and events. In the interior photos I've seen it looks like the house still has all the original custom FLW furniture and built-ins inside and some pieces from Eero Saarinen and the Eamess' and there are a bunch of sculptures on the property by Wright and Marshall Fredericks. I like to fantasize that one day it will be for sale cheap because it's so small compared to the rest of the houses in that neighborhood and the owners will want to sell it with all the furniture and art just to get rid of it quickly. I try to run or drive past every few weeks just to check.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I probably have the visually ugliest commute from Newark to Jersey City on I-280 and NJ-7. I pass a capped landfill, old industrial, rail, pass under the NJ Turnpike, and through a perpetual construction zone (Pulaski Skyway). It's about 7 miles from home, maybe 30-40 minutes to get here. It sure beats the hell out of New Jersey Transit/NYC Subway though.

http://bit.ly/2HWh6dg
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2005
    It just looks like a blue blur in this image from this Google Streetview but in this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4354...2!8i6656?hl=en

the street slopes gently down (to the southeast) and I can see the Pacific Ocean in the not-too-distant distance, glinting in the mornings. By this point in my commute the kids are dropped off at school so I have 10 minutes of quiet and seeing the ocean helps wash away the rest of that "morning rush" mentality.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I basically live at a truck stop and the sound of interstate traffic lulls me to sleep every night like the waves of the ocean. Once I drive two miles down my truckstop-like landscape, and am done dealing with hospital and highway commuter traffic, I turn onto a heavily-traveled state highway near a busy QuikTrip, first past a sheriff’s outpost, then some very dense single-family residential development, and then I get to race people at a stoplight where the road narrows down from four to two lanes, where I then travel about 7 miles through an unincorporated section of the county. In addition to the traffic and eight stoplights, I am treated to a landscape that’s littered with fireworks stands, dilapidated sheds and metal buildings, shoddy fencing, a total lack of signage regulations, pothole-ridden gravel parking lots, pipelines, contractor shops, some staple service stations and fast food chains (Valero & Shell stations, Subway, Dominos, Sonic, a car wash, etc.) some old man bars and burger shacks, animal kennels galore, lots of woods and open ranches, the occasional guy riding a horse along the road, the occasional drifter walking along the road, and everything from trailer homes to mansions. Once I get to the city I work for, it gets better, and I turn onto a less-traveled road past some heavily wooded areas and some nicer homes, estates, and a couple ranches. This then leads me to our downtown right where some urban-style apartments are being built. I then go past the downtown shops, cross the creek, and then get to slow down for not one, but two consecutive school zones before turning into City Hall. My commute is generally about a half hour, 15 miles, one-way. It’s not the best commute and I wish I lived closer to work, but it’s not terrible either. It generally moves. I don’t envy the people stuck in traffic on the freeways every morning. My commute can be a little dangerous though. Someone was killed in a wreck on Friday night. We were detoured around it and I saw the helicopter come in.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Mar 2014, 3:40 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 6:04 PM
  3. Wow - that commute!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 10:28 AM