e filed

Fed return - direct deposit
    State owed - paid on line
    filing fee owed - paid
    net difference = out $30

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I filed mine last week, owed no one, and am getting a refund.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I went to H&R Block, like I always have, but probably will never go back. When I was in college and for my first couple years in the working world, my family used this older guy who gave us amazing discounts and was one of the best tax preparers in the business. He was sharp, extremely fast, and also even would give financial advice. I think he got in trouble with H&R for giving out too many discounts and was forced into quasi-retirement and working independently out of his house. While my family still used him, I stayed with H&R and went to an office closer to my home. I worked with this lady in her 30s/40s who was decent enough, but the charges started ballooning. And this year was my most complicated tax year ever due to having two W-2s, one covering the first half of the year and one the 2nd half, one state return for living in IL the first half of the year, moving expenses, student loan interest, and a disbursement of money I put in for retirement when I worked in IL. So this was not going to be the year I did my own taxes. That being said, I scheduled an appointment at my local H&R Block office down here and had to wait an hour past my scheduled time. Then I get some geriatric who doesn’t know how to type! Nice guy, but come on...WTF! On top of that, he initially screwed up my state of IL return and almost had me paying IL hundreds of dollars. It’s like, no, I only lived in IL six months. I’ve given those incompetent assholes enough of my money throughout the years and they’re not collecting on the six months I lived in Texas! I got like an $1100 federal refund, but this was negated by having to pay IL $45 and H&R Block $250. 2018 should be much simpler, and when I have to help the tax preparer do their job, maybe it’s time for me to start doing my own from now on.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2011
    My dad filed everything for me. He's a retired accountant, and I think he just loves doing taxes. He e-filed with Turbo Tax. Any idea how much that filing fee is?

I couldn't claim my mortgage insurance this year, that bill fizzled out last year, so I lost about 200 dollars. All in all, I'm looking at refunds of 800 for federal and 150 or so for state.

Registered
    May 2002
    I have used the free Tax Return through Credit Karma the last two years. I have had zero issues, they walk you through everything and there are no fees. And I itemize plus I had about 8 W-2s due to my side job. I e-filed last Tuesday and my federal return should be in my bank account by Thursday of this week according to the IRS refund tracking site. Getting about $1,200 total between the feds and the state which I'm fine with. I don't want a big refund and I don't want to owe. I like having my money when I make it so I'm very happy with being close.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The large pubic accounting firm that my wife worked for still offers to do our personal taxes for free even though she hasn't worked there for 7 years (as long as she doesn't work for another public accounting firm they still offer to do our taxes) but my wife always resisted because she didn't want them to be up in our personal business. Even though my wife is a CPA, I was the one who always got wrangled into doing our taxes so this year I convinced her to let the accounting firm do them for us.

Our taxes are always complicated by my wife's multiple trust accounts, retirement accounts, and multiple quarterly dividend and interest payouts/rollovers and it seems like I inevitably miss something every year and end up needing to file an amendment a few months later. Even though it's never really cost us anything significant for those mistakes I hate doing that and would rather let the professionals have the liability for whatever's might be missed. Based on my initial estimates, we might actually get a pretty big return this year but we should get our 1040 to sign-off on later this week and I'll know the results then. Usually we end up roughly breaking even between state and federal or getting back a small federal refund.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We've got a guy that does our taxes. The end result, I owe the state a couple bucks and the feds are giving me some back.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I use H&R Block's TaxCut web-based software and have for probably eight years now (used the actual software before it went web-based). Because of the rental property I own, I get the investor package that does a better job of dealing with the extra schedules that have to be filled out. We ended-up owing as usual, because the government hates DINKs that live beneath their means.

I'm planning to transition the rental properties into a LLC, and will probably get set-up with a real honest-to-god accountant. I suspect I might be leaving some money on the table doing the taxes myself. Also, I really, really hate preparing taxes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We owe, because of course we do. Not too much, but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    e-filed at beginning of the month, got refund direct deposited in 3 days.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Finally got all my paperwork together. I will meet with the CPA in a few weeks. Probably a small return from the feds, a larger return from NY, and owe NJ.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I went to H&R Block, like I always have, but probably will never go back. ... I got like an $1100 federal refund, but this was negated by having to pay IL $45 and H&R Block $250. 2018 should be much simpler, and when I have to help the tax preparer do their job, maybe it’s time for me to start doing my own from now on.
    There are several tax programs that you can look into. I use Tax Cut, a fee-based one. Check out one of the free ones and see how you do.

Pro tip: download it and work on your own machine, not the web.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    There are several tax programs that you can look into. I use Tax Cut, a fee-based one. Check out one of the free ones and see how you do.

Pro tip: download it and work on your own machine, not the web.
    Thanks. Yeah, I’ll probably go with some cheaper online program or just do it myself. It should be a lot easier to do my own next year.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Thanks. Yeah, I’ll probably go with some cheaper online program or just do it myself. It should be a lot easier to do my own next year.
    Before my return got complicated I used Tax Act and never had an issue.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you use TaxCut, I think your past H&R Block returns will import.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Before my return got complicated I used Tax Act and never had an issue.
    I finally gave up on Tax Act this year. I refuse to do a web-based return, and prefer to have the software directly on my computer. I used to be able to do this with Tax Act for less than $20. This year, the version I would have needed was over $60. I chose another software this year (thankfully one that was able to import my Tax Act info).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I finally gave up on Tax Act this year. I refuse to do a web-based return, and prefer to have the software directly on my computer. I used to be able to do this with Tax Act for less than $20. This year, the version I would have needed was over $60. I chose another software this year (thankfully one that was able to import my Tax Act info).
    I had a weird tax issue that required me to amend two returns plus complicated last year's return so I went to a CPA. He did a solid job and only charged me $400 to resolve everything and I ended up with more refund from all years he touched. I think most of the software is just an online money grab these days.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    If you use TaxCut, I think your past H&R Block returns will import.
    ...assuming that Block has provided a digital file.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    My federal return just hit my account this morning. Nice! Last year it took several months to arrive for some reason. Never got an answer as to why. I don't think I received it until late May or early June even after filing in February.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I used TurboTax which I use most years. I filed and on the day I received my federal refund, I found out that I had to amend it. I won't bore you with the details, basically my ex's return wouldn't go through since I was showing my oldest son as my child but not a dependent. He claims our oldest as a dependent and I claim our youngest. I spent extra time making sure I had filled it out correctly with respect to the "child but not a dependent" questions but I guess it's easier to just leave him off the return altogether like I have in previous years.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Made my appointment with the CPA. This should be fun.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    I used TurboTax which I use most years. I filed and on the day I received my federal refund, I found out that I had to amend it. I won't bore you with the details, basically my ex's return wouldn't go through since I was showing my oldest son as my child but not a dependent. He claims our oldest as a dependent and I claim our youngest. I spent extra time making sure I had filled it out correctly with respect to the "child but not a dependent" questions but I guess it's easier to just leave him off the return altogether like I have in previous years.
    My ex and I do this in order for me to claim dependent care credit that I pay for my youngest, but she takes the claim of "dependent" for him. We haven't ever had an issue in the 3 plus years I have done taxes since getting a divorce. Kinda odd that it wouldn't let him file.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    My ex and I do this in order for me to claim dependent care credit that I pay for my youngest, but she takes the claim of "dependent" for him. We haven't ever had an issue in the 3 plus years I have done taxes since getting a divorce. Kinda odd that it wouldn't let him file.
    I've tried it twice, using two different tax prep methods, being very careful to check the boxes correctly, and his return was rejected both times so I had to amend mine both times. It's so irritating.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Hm, my state refund apparently hasn't even been processed yet. That seems weird.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Hm, my state refund apparently hasn't even been processed yet. That seems weird.
    Iowa is taking forever too, they say eight weeks in order to better prevent fraud. Last year the Des Moines Register figured out that it wasn't so much that as a cash flow issue. The state has even less money this year, so I'm guessing it will be even later.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Prodigal Mom Returns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Apr 2017, 9:32 PM
  2. Prodigal Son Returns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 24 Sep 2014, 9:22 PM