Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Server is too busy at the moment" can we end this ?!?

Registered
    May 2006

"Server is too busy at the moment" can we end this ?!?

This keeps happening while I want to post! I have come to appreciate and respect all of you as esteemed colleagues and a professional semi-subculture of our own, I dont want to see us suffer the burden of having to use a BBS from 2000 (even though as a hipster who likes retro things I think it's kinda cool) and I think we deserve an upgrade.

So here is what I propose. I would be willing to chip in anywhere up to $30 to upgrade our hosting capabilities. Lets gather a list of 'Burbians who would be willing to as well! l think this was proposed before and there was interest?

Think Dear Leader Dan would be into it?

List of cyburbians willing to support a BBS/Server upgrade:

-The Terminator

Who else is down!?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I would also be down but I dunno if it is time to maybe go to a close reddit group or something to that affect.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Feb 2018
    As someone who has used reddit a lot as well as forums, I would be really sad to see this place shut down in favour of moving to a reddit sub. Sites like this have a wealth of information that should be easily accessible, and as someone who has just arrived, I'd hate to have to dig through a subreddit to find old threads.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Several times over the years, Dan has migrated to a different/new server. Might be time again.

Part of the current issue: he's gazing adoringly at someone in real life, whereas in the past he had much more spare time to spend with us.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The site is flying today for me!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2005
    "Server is too busy at the moment" ate one of my posts a few minutes ago. Hey, Dan - I'd like that two minutes of my life back.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    "Server is too busy at the moment" ate one of my posts a few minutes ago. Hey, Dan - I'd like that two minutes of my life back.
    My thought: Dan puts up a post saying "Tired of the server being too busy? I need X amount of money to cover a year's worth of upgraded service. Here is a Pay Pal donate button (or tip jar). Instead of bitching about this, please donate." (Okay, he would probably use politer language than that.)

And the mods can direct people to that every time they bitch about this until it hits the right number.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    My thought: Dan puts up a post saying "Tired of the server being too busy? I need X amount of money to cover a year's worth of upgraded service. Here is a Pay Pal donate button (or tip jar). Instead of bitching about this, please donate." (Okay, he would probably use politer language than that.)

And the mods can direct people to that every time they bitch about this until it hits the right number.
    I wouldn't put it past Dan to use "stop bitching about it."
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm hoping that some of the administrative server "tasks" (repaired/optimized the database being the big one) that I've run in the last couple days has assisted with the speed and load times when folks are on the site. I've noticed a difference yesterday and today, and I hope others have too.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm thinking about taking a week off of work towards the end of the year, mainly to move to a new message board system (xenForo), and strip out the parts of the site that no longer get used -- the gallery and front page/CMS. It's those parts of the site that also cause the most problems with overloading the server. I got rid of ads -- not that it'll help, but it'll make the experience a bit better when the site is online.

Sorry I've been so absent lately. I guess I hit a point where my heart wasn't into the site anymore -- like, I've been doing it for a long time. When we moved to our new (to us) house a few years ago, I was offline for a bit, and once I had the time to get back online, for some reason, my passion for the site went away.

I'm thinking about passing control over Cyburbia to a mod or group of mods.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Occasional Server Busy Errors
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Mar 2018, 12:33 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 11:39 AM