Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Presenting at state conference on temporary events - what would you want to know?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Presenting at state conference on temporary events - what would you want to know?

I'm part of the local host committee for our state conference and as such, I felt a responsibility to contribute by submitting a proposal that ended up being accepted. Our presentation is going to be on temporary events from several different perspectives - mine, our tourism director's, a private event organizer, and a transportation guy from the DOT.

To be honest, I think it is an important topic for us to cover, but I don't necessarily feel like an expert in the area even though it's one of the biggest generators of revenue for my locality. I think covering my part of the presentation, I'm going to be covering the most recent changes to our permitting process, the importance of seeing the bigger picture and not immediately going into manic review mode, and making sure your practices are consistent with your policies, which had been an issue here before I made some really minor changes. The main idea is for each panel participant to share what they wanted everyone else involved in the process to understand from their perspective when it comes to temporary events.

So the real question I have is what information would you find interesting or valuable in this presentation? Specifically for me. I think each of us will give a ten minute overview and we'll spend the rest of the time responding to questions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would want to know how you have handled temporary events from a political perspective - which ones were de rigueur ho hum, and which ones were controversial. Regarding the latter, I'd like to know why they were controversial, you know, the stuff you can't put in your regulations but everyone has opinion on it, e.g. too loud, too many drunk people, overcrowded beer tent, nudists, citizen outcry, elected official didn't like the applicant, elected official didn't like the event, the Town didn't put up enough barricades, too many hippies, not enough misting stations, too many weirdo artists selling overpriced "art," participants constantly revving engines, firetruck driver excessively rang the sirens, not enough candy, portapotties were disgusting, not enough food trucks, etc.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Good thoughts! Thanks!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Related -

FEMA Independent Study Course -
    IS-15.B: Special Events Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies
    https://training.fema.gov/is/courseo...x?code=IS-15.b

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Might not be a problem where you are, but building code always kicks in for temp events around here, or not. It's always a question of if we should use it. My life is easy, I don't have much in building codes.
    How do you handle pop up events? Can someone just do a one day pop up restaurant in the parking lot?
    How do you handle longer term temp uses like the christmas or halloween store?
    Do you have any issues with zoning compatibility? In our area we have vineyards (ag use) that have party barns (commercial use). Every county is trying to put some kind of rules on these things. Can you have commercial type events in residential areas like the local park?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Might not be a problem where you are, but building code always kicks in for temp events around here, or not. It's always a question of if we should use it. My life is easy, I don't have much in building codes.
    How do you handle pop up events? Can someone just do a one day pop up restaurant in the parking lot?
    How do you handle longer term temp uses like the christmas or halloween store?
    Do you have any issues with zoning compatibility? In our area we have vineyards (ag use) that have party barns (commercial use). Every county is trying to put some kind of rules on these things. Can you have commercial type events in residential areas like the local park?
    Super helpful - thanks! I probably should talk a little bit about farm wineries, breweries, and distilleries, since those are pretty much permitted to have events by the state code (as long as they are considered a normal function of an operational farm business) without any local government oversight (to a certain extent), and how we handle those. And then the zones where we allow the temporary events to occur as an introduction, as well as our classification of events.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Super helpful - thanks! I probably should talk a little bit about farm wineries, breweries, and distilleries, since those are pretty much permitted to have events by the state code (as long as they are considered a normal function of an operational farm business) without any local government oversight (to a certain extent), and how we handle those. And then the zones where we allow the temporary events to occur as an introduction, as well as our classification of events.
    What about Liquor License, Street Closure (Police, Sheriff, Public Works), Food & Sanitation would involve Health Dept, Electric Utility - address for service line drop ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What about Liquor License, Street Closure (Police, Sheriff, Public Works), Food & Sanitation would involve Health Dept, Electric Utility - address for service line drop ?
    I can talk about all the agencies we have to coordinate with. Good call!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Does your organization provide fee waivers for City resources for certain events? Has the revenue generated from the event, or at least the public benefit, outweighed the waiver request?

*Those were things I dealt with at my former place.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Does your organization provide fee waivers for City resources for certain events? Has the revenue generated from the event, or at least the public benefit, outweighed the waiver request?

*Those were things I dealt with at my former place.
    That would get into a sticky situation to discuss, I think, since the biggest issue would be with the Sheriff's department providing security services, and that has become incredibly contentious. Since the sheriff isn't there, I'm hesitant to talk in detail about those considerations specifically. Our tourism director will be there to discuss revenue. Otherwise, the only waiver we really provide would be to waive the permit fee, so maybe that's something I need to learn about that other counties do in order to be able to discuss it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APATX State Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Oct 2017, 9:46 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Jul 2015, 1:20 PM
  3. Quad State Conference October 21-23
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Jul 2015, 7:31 PM