Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Hurricane Season

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Several people higher up in our organization have expressed serious concern regarding this storm and we have been informed that as soon as we are available to report to work after the storm, please do so, even if it is on Saturday or Sunday.
    Yeah I think this one will be bad. I've read that there could be 2 to 3 FEET of rain in parts of NC. That's insane! I'm trying to get my basement prepped to keep it dry, but it is proving very difficult. I can't find anything to concentrate and pool water coming into the basement. I think I'm going to try and pick up bags of simple play sand today and try and get that to work. I think it should serve the same purpose, it's a bag of sand, but I'm worried they won't stack well since the bags are usually slick plastic. I probably don't need them to stack high, I only need a 2 to 2 1/2 pool for the pump to work.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and everything seemed calm. Bread was limited, but I buy tortillas anyways because they last longer. I could probably use some more non-perishable food though. Power around here is incredibly spotty during things like this, and my main power is overhead and runs right underneath some major pine trees.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I finally got around to getting a few provisions. Mostly a couple cases of water and some snacks just in case we lose power. I'm not in the path of the hurricane, but we're all worried about flooding, so I figure it's better to be at least a little prepared just in case.

I saw our emergency services coordinator when I was leaving the grocery store this morning and asked him what else I needed. He told me to go back and get a couple cases of wine.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Three weather forecasts show 3 different tracks for Florence - although all say once it makes landfall it will stall for a day or so. I did hear a new tip I hadn't heard before-take a few wet wash clothes and put them in the freezer so you'll have those to cool down if you loose power and its hot/humid. We have also used the washing machine as a makeshift cooler before too.

Depending on the track, I think we'll be okay since we're far enough west, but...........
    - there are a couple of trees I need to keep an eye on
    - Mrs. P is going to the grocery store today after work
    - I'm going to the conference tonight & coming home Wednesday night
    - The band director told The Girl that the Friday HS football game has been moved to Thursday

Here are a couple websites of interest:

Hurricanes and Tropical Cyclones Overview Esri
    https://disasterresponse.maps.arcgis...ceb3b05619a7f6

NOAA Emergency Response Imagery (will be updated after the Hurricane).
    https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/

Windytv
    https://www.windy.com/?32.625,-68.687,7
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Stay safe, coastal Cyburbians!

Yeah, stay safe y'all.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Three weather forecasts show 3 different tracks for Florence - although all say once it makes landfall it will stall for a day or so
    I dunno if it's just me, but the forecasts have been pretty annoying for this. Lots of news articles say to expect 3 feet of rain, but all the official stuff says 1 to 2 inches. I can't find the European models anywhere, and everything is all over the place. I typically use NOAA and weather.gov for everything, but a lot of their models haven't been updated recently. The estimated rain models were last touched at like 7:30 this morning and haven't changed, although they say they're valid through the 18th. Local forecasts are all screwy too. Weather.com is still saying to expect like a 40% of chance of rain here Thursday which I know is bullshit.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What a headline let alone a thought/image/mess -

Hurricane Florence's risks include toxic sludge and lagoons of pig manure
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index...isks_incl.html

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

Sh!+nadoes. Wonderful.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I dunno if it's just me, but the forecasts have been pretty annoying for this. Lots of news articles say to expect 3 feet of rain, but all the official stuff says 1 to 2 inches. I can't find the European models anywhere, and everything is all over the place. I typically use NOAA and weather.gov for everything, but a lot of their models haven't been updated recently. The estimated rain models were last touched at like 7:30 this morning and haven't changed, although they say they're valid through the 18th. Local forecasts are all screwy too. Weather.com is still saying to expect like a 40% of chance of rain here Thursday which I know is bullshit.
    I am now really concerned. According to NOAA it will make landfall on Friday Morning, but will not leave until midday on Sunday... Just think of more than 48 hours of hurricane level winds and rain...
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well wishes and all that for affected peeps.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I am now really concerned. According to NOAA it will make landfall on Friday Morning, but will not leave until midday on Sunday... Just think of more than 48 hours of hurricane level winds and rain...
    Word is that most of the seasoned veterans at the coast are all business about this one. Contractor earlier today said even through hurricanes the prep is normally just a formality and usually it's all jokes and very easy going. This time, it's dead serious. This has Katrina levels of possible damage associated with it. NOAA trackers believe it will reach Cat 5 at some point soon. Sustained winds are now at 140 mph and it's growing and expected to intensify. Hurricane force winds extend 60 miles out of the eye, tropical force up to 175. The current track has the eye passing over a town 20 minutes from me....

I'm off to buy several bags of kids play sand. I can't find any actual sand bags, so I figure this is a reasonable alternative, IF I can find it.

Back when I had to deal with CFOs and CAFOs, I did a lot of research about that topic. NC has a lot of both.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Follow up story -

Hog Farmers Scramble to Drain Waste Pools Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ntent=20180911

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Wow... according to the National Hurricane Center, this has shifted quite a bit from yesterday. We are still in the cone but no longer tracking to go over us. It looks like SC is going to get the worst of it now. I hope people did not go back home when the evacuation was lifted.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Follow up story -

Hog Farmers Scramble to Drain Waste Pools Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ntent=20180911
    I lived in Jacksonville, NC when Hurricane Floyd came through in '99. The winds were not bad but there was an incredible amount of rain and all the rivers in Eastern NC flooded pretty badly and kept areas like Jacksonville, Morehead City, and New Bern pretty much cut off from the rest of the state for about a week or so. The areas just to the west in counties like Duplin, Jones, Lenoir, Wayne, Pender, Pitt... are full of turkey and pig farms and they were all over run with water and then washed the dirty, stinky, disgusting manure water downstream and out towards the Atlantic. I worked in the II MEF Command Center and had to stay working non-stop through the duration of the hurricane (since I was single and the low man on the totem pole, I didn't get to evacuate like most of the Marines on the coast and our office functioned 24/7 all year long so I was one of the only folks available to work) and when I finally got a day off of work I decided to go relax and hang out at the beach on the base but when I got there the lifeguards had shut it down because of bacteria levels.

I remember seeing on the news after the hurricane that people closer to the turkey farms were returning home after evacuating to find piles of dead bloated turkeys that had washed up on their yards and they had been sitting out there in the sun for a week+.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Wow... according to the National Hurricane Center, this has shifted quite a bit from yesterday. We are still in the cone but no longer tracking to go over us. It looks like SC is going to get the worst of it now. I hope people did not go back home when the evacuation was lifted.
    Honestly, it appears worse for south eastern NC. Rain models show considerably more rain than we saw before it started shifting south towards SC. Winds might decrease though, which is what I was worried about.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The shift south puts Charlotte & Western NC in line for heavier rainfall being on the north side of the storm.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Although SC never got anything more than a Cat 1 during the 4 years I lived there, most of the hurricanes/tropical storms that arrived brought lots and lots of rain which would cause flooding. Stay safe y'all.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    The shift south puts Charlotte & Western NC in line for heavier rainfall being on the north side of the storm.
    Yeah, being on the north side always seems to mean you get Noahesque amounts of rain. What are they predicting for spin off tornados?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Yeah, being on the north side always seems to mean you get Noahesque amounts of rain. What are they predicting for spin off tornados?

None of the advisory that I read has mentioned tornadoes other than the fact the northern side is prone to spin off tornadoes.

TORNADOES: A few tornadoes are possible in eastern North Carolina
    beginning late Thursday morning.
    The amount of rain is diffidently noahesque.

rainfall in the following areas...

Coastal North Carolina...20 to 30 inches, isolated 40 inches
    South Carolina, western and northern North Carolina...5 to
    10 inches, isolated 20 inches
    Elsewhere in the Appalachians and Mid-Atlantic states...3 to
    6 inches, isolated 12 inches

This rainfall would produce catastrophic flash flooding and
    significant river flooding.
    Last edited by Big Owl; 12 Sep 2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: 11 am update from NHC

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Now that it looks like the hurricane will make landfall farther south, we expect to be in fairly good shape. We did just have a debriefing meeting to go over the protocols, though. It's good to know it's been thought out, regardless!

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Only at the coast so far, rest of the state looks fairly safe.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Only at the coast so far, rest of the state looks fairly safe.
    As of right now, things are looking better for my area and it has weakened to a cat 3... but landfall is still more than 36 hours out and it can shift. The other thing is the size of this storm is huge. Even if the eye stays on the current track, we will still get very wet with 8 to 10 inches of rain...

We had hurricane where it rained for 48+ hours solid.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    With Florance's shift and the uncertain path of TS Isaac, we're going to make preparations.
    Habitual Offender

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2017 Hurricane Season
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 84
    Last post: 09 Oct 2017, 10:22 AM
  2. 2016 Hurricane Season
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 20 Oct 2016, 4:10 PM