Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Politics Or One Oh Sh..t! cancels 1000 Attaboys

Registered
    Sep 2001

Planning Politics Or One Oh Sh..t! cancels 1000 Attaboys

Well , I was passed over for a promtion, my high exam score notwithstanding.... It's the same old ,same old... I am working on a project that pretty much off the radar for our Planning Department .heads Also my boss - even though i get along with her is not an advocate for any of the people who work for her. Long before I worked for her. In fact , it's no surprise all three of us who work for her were all passed over for various promotions in the last two months. Coincidence? I don't really have any enemies, at least known that I am aware of...I am friendly but a bit outspoken in a sense I am an extrovert. Perhaps that's the reason? The other reason is I work for the worng deputy director. All those on the list working for this other deputy director were promoted. This director is a scrapper and makes sure his own people get promoted. Needless to say, I put in my transfer into his department.

To add insult to injury, I came in on my day off to finish a staff report even with a migraine headache. As you can imagine the report looks like someone wrote having a migraine! Unfortunately, the other secretary (the bitchy one) got it and called me to make the corrections on parts of it that made no sense, while ragging on me, yada yada yada... She shows it to the Chief Zoning Administrator. Ugh.. Even though all my reports have been fine and the 8 zoning adminisistrators said the reports were much better than average, that one report sets me back to zero. <Sigh>. I guess a lot of posterior kissing is in order.

Murph's law is operating: One ah sh--t vanquishes all your atta boys. Oh well... I think I have a strong drink...

Registered
    Sep 1998

Planning Politics

Been there, done that. I too transfered to another department and ultimately resigned. I now have a better job, better boss and better pay!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Gettin outta Dodge!

This might be a radical solution to a minor problem, but, have you considered becoming the entire department? There are many rural county governments and small towns where you would be appreciated and your experience would lend a professionalism which is often missing. The lifestyle and the politics can be a bit daunting at first. However, you get to make all of the decisions, and nothing beats being in charge of the whole shooting match.

This may not be for you, but best wishes with your career.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    I feel your pain!

Your situation sucks, but as said before, "been there, done that." It could be worse: does your boss selfishly take credit for your work, ignoring the fact that the success is soley do to your efforts? It happens in my office all the time. No recognition of professional experience or many times even your existence on this earth!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    No my boss doesnt do that, manily because she so disinteresting in my program. Though I know there are people in our department who do take credit for other people's work which sucks.

The problem for me in particular is lack of recognition. So even though i co-authored a developer's handbook and added new mitigation measures and help run a public workshop, training classes with our department, and ran meetings with department heads, what iI do is totally off the radar map. I've asked for a transfer several times, but the deputy director has said no not approved it simply because another department pays my salary and not f the Planning Department . The good thing is that he is retiring soon and I am wanted in another section. Hopefully, I will get rotated. I am certified on the current promotional list. It lasts for two years. So if there any promotions they have to pick me up from the list. There is a hiring freeze. There will be 3 or more retiring so there should be some promotions from that. I have my fingers crossed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transitioning from planning to politics?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 1:58 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2009, 6:37 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Feb 2007, 10:09 PM
  4. Planning and National Politics
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2004, 2:47 AM
  5. Replies: 9