Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sunfish sailboats

Registered
    Feb 2004

Sunfish sailboats

Anyone else here sailed a Sunfish sailboat? These nimble little 120 lb fiberglass creatures are the stuff of summer camp and weekends at the family cottage. Their small size, affordable price, and simplicity of handling make them ideal craft for those learning the rudiments of sailing.

I first sailed using a Sunfish at a friend's place on Lake Michigan. There was a scary moment (more like 15 minutes that lasted an eternity) the day I lost sight of land, but otherwise the buoyant craft (yep, you can swamp them) are pure pleasure to handle.
    Anyone ever gone sailing in something a bit more sophisticated?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My dad had a 14' Flying Junior (Flying J) day-sailer than we used a lot. I took it out a few times by myself or with a couple friends. Very easy to handle, but I never hoisted the spinnaker when I sailed it.

One of my good friends family had a 62' gaff-rigged wooden sailboat built in 1922. It was a great boat which we took out many times too, although I can only remember hoisting the sails on the puppy very few times.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Had my own sunfish as a teenager. Sailed/raced in Barnegat Bay NJ.

Earned Sailing Merit Badge.

Have you read Nathaniel Philbrick book Second Wind ?

Uncle had a wooden sailfish boat - they were flushdecked - no cockpit.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've never been on a Sunfish but they look like they would be fun for an afternoon. There are a couple of country clubs here that are right on pretty good size lakes and I think they must provide Sunfish sailboats for their members because if I drive past on a nice summer day (especially around lunch during the week) you can see dozens of them out on the water at the same time. Like it's a little club or something.

My in-laws live on Lake Huron right in front of where all the sailboats line up for a big annual yacht race up to Mackinac Island each summer and sometimes we will go into town on the day or two before the race and you can go onboard of a lot of the boats and get some tours and they definitely look complicated. Some year it might be fun to be a crew member on one of the boats competing in the race.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Who earned this Merit Badge ? besides me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My in-laws live on Lake Huron right in front of where all the sailboats line up for a big annual yacht race up to Mackinac Island each summer and sometimes we will go into town on the day or two before the race and you can go onboard of a lot of the boats and get some tours and they definitely look complicated. Some year it might be fun to be a crew member on one of the boats competing in the race.
    You ever check out the Tall Ships when they stop at one of ports/harbors? Those are always fun to tour. If my life were structured differently I wouldn't mind serving as crew on one of those vessels for a few months.

The last time they pulled into South Haven I noticed probably 65% of the crew were female!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB Maister's mention of Tall Ships -

I experienced the Bicentennial (1976) Tall Ships parade in NY Harbor from a Moran Tug (nice having family connections).

I want a copy of this poster

Last edited by JNA; 10 May 2018 at 2:58 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    DUDE! Check this out!!!! https://www.drakenhh.com/

Go ahead, tell me being on board a Viking dragon ship would not totally rock. I don't know about you but I feel like pillaging a coast after seeing that

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You ever check out the Tall Ships when they stop at one of ports/harbors? Those are always fun to tour. If my life were structured differently I wouldn't mind serving as crew on one of those vessels for a few months.

The last time they pulled into South Haven I noticed probably 65% of the crew were female!
    I have seen them but never toured them. I don't ever recall them coming around when I was a kid but now it seems like there is some sort of contingent of tall ships that come through the Detroit River and St. Clair River every summer. Their arrival is usually on some weekend where we've got 1,000 other things going on or during the "Freedom Festival" down in Detroit and Windsor, Ontario when it seems like there are 3,000,000 people downtown but one of these years I'd like to go on them. I keep hoping they will make a stop in Port Huron since I imagine it will be much less busy to visit them up there.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    That would be cool to have, but with the lake traffic that's out there today, a wake board boat would wipe you out, probably on purpose.

EDIT* Damn, those things are expensive!!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Had my own sunfish as a teenager. Sailed/raced in Barnegat Bay NJ.

Earned Sailing Merit Badge.

Have you read Nathaniel Philbrick book Second Wind ?

Uncle had a wooden sailfish boat - they were flushdecked - no cockpit.
    Off-topic:
    RT purchased a home in Ocean Gate. It's a 10 minute walk to Barnegat Bay and we love watching the sail boats. This year the bay froze and they were ice sailing which was awesome to watch.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2018, 4:50 PM