Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: If you had a chance at a job that is 2X current pay, but it meant moving from near kids, would you?

Registered
    Feb 2006

If you had a chance at a job that is 2X current pay, but it meant moving from near kids, would you?

A headhunter inquired with me directly. What do I owe the kids? my time? Making sure they are economically secure?

What would you do?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Since I have a history moving away from family, beside the money, would the this job
    have improved benefits,
    be in a community worth living there for many years - even to retirement,
    expand/improve career/job satisfaction
    be located as such you could travel back to visit kids - local connecting airport or interstate time
    increase stress
    major change in lifestyle or cost of living

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I am 30 minutes from kids now, this would put me about 2 hours by car away. Not sure on benefits, but I assume equal. It would allow me to work on more urban type issues rather than rural ones. Of course, there is some unknown here.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If it was for a period of time, the pay was right, and the job moved your career forward, I would consider it. It also depends on the kids age, your relationship with them, and your situation.

Good luck!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    If it was for a period of time, the pay was right, and the job moved your career forward, I would consider it. It also depends on the kids age, your relationship with them, and your situation.
    This. I think the answer is much different if you have kids in elementary school vs if you have high school aged kids (or at least my answer is). My daughters are 7 and 2 and I there's no way I'd take a job at 2x my current pay if I meant I wouldn't be home with them for dinner each night. I am fortunate though that thanks to our situation, I could probably take a pretty big pay cut without it impacting our lives too much but each family's economic situation is different and if we weren't as fortunate as we are, I might give it more serious consideration.

If my kids were older and the new job was 2 hours away I might be more willing to consider it. 2 hours is close enough in the grand scheme of things that if I really needed to be there that evening, I could make it.

All that said, there are some days I'd probably take 0.5x my current pay to get away from my kids!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I should clarify that I am divorced and my ex-wife has primary physical care. I currently have the kids 5 nights out of 14 in a 2 week cycle and am able to go to a lot of their activities, etc. I would lose a lot of that. I am likely not going to do it, but the money is very tempting. I guess I feel I owe them my time more than my money.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I will tell you it's very hard working away from your family/kids as I did it for 6 years and I will never get that time back
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I should clarify that I am divorced and my ex-wife has primary physical care. I currently have the kids 5 nights out of 14 in a 2 week cycle and am able to go to a lot of their activities, etc. I would lose a lot of that. I am likely not going to do it, but the money is very tempting. I guess I feel I owe them my time more than my money.
    I would never do it. I would rather downsize than give up time with my kids. They are my world, even if I have them every other week.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I am not going to do it, but it tempts me in a sense. Working in a smaller community is where I like working generally, but I admit I do miss out on some of the more exciting stuff going on in more urban areas.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm the dad of a toddler, but even if he was older, I don't think I could do it without hollowing myself out inside. There's no exchange rate between the money vs time spent with him once we're all older.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Feb 2016, 10:00 AM
  2. Moving to current planning from consultant work?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 4:06 PM
  3. If you had a second chance...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 1:20 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Feb 2005, 9:24 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last post: 26 Sep 2003, 6:05 PM