Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If you could do it all over again, what would you do?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I would have figured out a way to finance the big trips offered during college / graduate school to NOLA, China, and Australia. I would have then applied to a local grad program in environmental science / planning, instead of waiting 4 years and then going to planning school, and then saved up money starting after graduation to actually own some property at this point in my life. Personally if I could still have my kids, I would have left my marriage during the first separation, turning it into a "starter" marriage instead of a "why in the heck did I hang on for so long" marriage.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    This is a bit of a paradox for me.

There there are 5 key things that I would do differently that would have profoundly changed the direction of my life, but I also question if this is the path that God put me on for a reason.

Do we have free will or is our life scripted by a higher power?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Well, as I said in the beginning, ignoring the time-space-continuum of of relationships and children possibly not existing if you chose a different path, then what would you do differently - it's a tough exercise to ignore all that but if you took a different path, then you wouldn't miss out on what you didn't know existed because you took that different path

omg I need some coffee after typing that, wth...
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    This is a bit of a paradox for me.

There there are 5 key things that I would do differently that would have profoundly changed the direction of my life, but I also question if this is the path that God put me on for a reason.

Do we have free will or is our life scripted by a higher power?
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Well, as I said in the beginning, ignoring the time-space-continuum of of relationships and children possibly not existing if you chose a different path, then what would you do differently - it's a tough exercise to ignore all that but if you took a different path, then you wouldn't miss out on what you didn't know existed because you took that different path

omg I need some coffee after typing that, wth...

Example here: There was a job I really wanted and was one of the last 3 candidates. Alas I was not selected and I was disappointed and upset. However after a few years I found out that the place was not what was lead to believe it was and it would have been extremely difficult / challenging place to be. I was thankful I wasn't selected and glad to be appointed to the place I am now.

There is an event in HS and 2 in college that I would have changed. When I take into account LP's 'doesn't change the time-space-continuum' there are a number of times I would have 'turned left at Albuquerque moments.'
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"Do you want to skip second grade?"

Not sure why the adults would put that decision in the hands of a Young Five who'd placed out of the reading exercises in K and grade 1. That was decades before programs for gifted kids.

In my 40s I underwent a legal name change, figuring I'd endured enough teasing-bullying-malicious comments-distractions. Unless one's multi-syllabic ethnic surname is well-known enough to fall trippingly off the tongue, every introduction involves an explanation, and a stream of consciousness exercise on the part of the newcomer. I went from my father's surname to my mother's birth name, figuring that she'd done 90% of the work, and however long I lived would be in honor of her.
    I would do that again but I'd have had it done a couple decades earlier.

Registered
    May 2006
    Im 27 and still figuring all this out......

But if I had to do it over, I would have never left Montreal after I graduated University. But I am working on correcting that, and am generally on a good path.

I would have begun to take my health seriously from age 16 on, done a sport in High School (probably a combat sport external to school, JiuJitsu, Boxing or MMA no lame Kids Karate crap), worked on sticking to proper diet and training regimens from Junior Year in HS through University and now. Now I am embracing fitness and nutrition way too late in the game.

I also would have also learned how to work on cars as a teenager, my Grandpa would have taught me back when he still had a home with a garage and all his tools before that house got Sold. I was an "anarchist" at the time and thought cars were evil and Volvo's were for suburban moms. but look at me now!

I would have also been less mousy with the grrls and sought alternative treatment for my tourettes WAYYYYYYYYY earlier than I did.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2