Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: List your favorite podcasts here

Registered
    Jan 2005

List your favorite podcasts here

I have been listening to a lot of Podcasts. Have I asked what others listen to and what I should add to my list? I feel like I have, but I can't remember....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am going to Maine in two weeks. My kids just got books about Maine from the library. I am now hearing every fact about Maine that exists.
    Yeah! It will be awesome!!!

I have been listening to a lot of Podcasts. Have I asked what others listen to and what I should add to my list? I feel like I have, but I can't remember....
    My favorite podcasts: The Moth, Snap Judgement, Commonwealth Club of California, How I Built This
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    In addition to the actual helpful podcasts that will likely be referenced, my favorite dumb one is "The Babysitters Club Club." These two guys in their 30's read through the entire series of The Babysitters Club and discuss the books. They kind of pretend like they're discussing actual literature and it devolves into a ton of ridiculous fan theories as they progress. The language is terrible.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Every planner should listen to the S-Town podcast.

I listen to these regularly:
    On the Media
    This American Life
    Fresh Air
    Story and Star Wars
    Now, This is Podcasting!

Registered
    May 2002
    I've never listened to a podcast in my life. And now I find out that people have ones they listen to regularly. Yet another aspect of today's society with which I am out of touch.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I've never listened to a podcast in my life. And now I find out that people have ones they listen to regularly. Yet another aspect of today's society with which I am out of touch.
    I'm in much the same boat.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    They are great for long car trips when you are done with music and the news

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I do not listen to podcasts, but my wife does. She's a big fan of My Favorite Murder (and a few other true crime-type ones), NPR's podcast, and Pods Save America. I have heard there are a few podcasts related to some of my hobbies which I would probably enjoy, but as a musician, I prefer to just listen to music.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

I've listened to a couple of them a couple of years back. I got bored with them. They are like a less interesting version of audio books.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Tim Ferriss Show
    The Order of Man
    Art of Manliness
    School of Greatness
    Ben Greenfield
    Found My Fitness
    Bulletproof Radio
    The Way I Heard It
    Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit
    Tony Robins Podcast
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I regularly drive an hour to do stuff where I used to live (it used to be four times a week, but now it's going to be two times a week). Podcasts are perfect for that. I also listen to some more life-specific ones for me - The Empowered Parent (discussing parenting foster and adopted children) and some health-specific ones. It's a great way to utilize your time when you don't want to commit to a full audio book.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I've listened to a couple of them a couple of years back. I got bored with them. They are like a less interesting version of audio books.
    If you are more of a books person, then try LA Theater Works - I forgot to post that - it's great theater!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I listen to podcasts all day at work and have been doing so for years. Most of the ones I listen to are about pop culture or news/politics. Some of my current favorites:

Slate's Political Gabfest
    Slate's Hang Up and Listen
    FiveThirtyEight Politics
    30 for 30
    Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
    Stuff You Missed in History Class
    Stuff You Should Know
    NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour
    Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty (a short series of podcasts chronicling the death of hip-hop producer Chris Lighty)
    Crimetown (another short series, this one dealing with Buddy Cianci and organized crime in Providence, RI)
    You Must Remember This (this one is a series detailing stories from Hollywood from the silent film era up to the 1970s, many of the episodes are on subjects that don't interest me but a couple of years ago they did about a dozen+ episodes about the Manson Family murders giving a lot of background and detail on all the people involved)
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

My calendar for today has a funny take off of this idea, calling ED talks. It has a guy with a megaphone on a pedestal in front of empty chairs.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    In no particular order, these are the ones that I listen to the most.

Probably Science
    Cognitive Dissonance
    Scathing Atheist
    Communion After Dark
    How To Heretic
    Cellar Door Skeptics
    Cemetery Confessions
    Jay & Silent Bob Get Old (haven't kept up, but used to be my go-to, so on here for posterity's sake)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Sep 2017, 1:46 PM
  2. Commute Time = Podcasts!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 14 Jul 2015, 9:03 AM
  3. Odd Top 10 List
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jan 2004, 10:32 AM