Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snapshot 6/14/18

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snapshot 6/14/18

When/what was the last time you ate homemade bread?

Do you find you generally like home baked bread better than store bought or bakery bought?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Follow up poll questions -

Who still has & uses a bread machine ?
    Who has & uses a bread loaf baking pan ?
    Who has a sourdough starter in their fridge ? and how old ?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I make pizza dough. Bread is a lot of work, although banana bread and amish friendship bread are good.

Homemade pizza dough though is much, much better than store bought.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Home made rolls at Christmas. Much better than anything store bought.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When mom passed away we were offered the bread machine but politely declined. I don't know what it is about bread machines but I feel they consistently produce sub-par product. I'd much rather go with bakery bread if that's the case.

Before gtpeach posts here and probably puts us all to shame with her baking acumen, I will say we have several bread pans. I find using a bread pan and putting dough in a regular oven produces better quality bread than typical store bought and certainly bread machine varieties.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I make yeast bread a couple of times a year, mostly holidays. I make quickbread all the time though.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Several years ago when someone gave my wife some sourdough starter. Could be 10 + years now.

We have a local itailian place and they make great sub/hoagie rolls. Excellent garlic bread.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I make quickbread all the time though.
    You've introduced a new variable. Does quickbread even count as being homemade?

Concerning sandwich places: it's always the bread quality (more so than meats, cheeses or vegetables) that makes a sandwich place either great or mediocre.

Registered
    May 2002
    I couldn't even begin to guess when I last had homemade bread.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

My folks have a bread maker, so they did a loaf of oatmeal bread while I was there a couple of weeks ago. it was excellent. My mom used to make lump bread when I was a kid that was pretty good. For me, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some store bought bread is pretty good and some home made bread is only fit for animals.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I made home-made English muffins a couple of times this spring. I can't say exactly when, but I made home-made bread once or twice this year.

I don't have a bread machine; I use a KitchenAid to make dough. I have bread pans, muffin rings, a brioche pan and more. I like to bake breads.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd say the last time we made bread was about a year ago. We probably average once or twice a year. That's looking to be the norm.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I usually make homemade bread every other month or so. And I proudly use our bread machine to make it! I like that I can set the bread machine at night and have fresh warm bread when I wake up in the morning. I make the smallest loafs possible though because it's not nearly as good after the first day or two as when it's very fresh. I've found a pretty good challah bread recipe for the machine. I like it for sandwiches the first day or two and then whatever's leftover gets used for french toast. Challah bread makes the best french toast!

My wife would be happy to have Wonderbread for any bread needs but I hate that stuff for just about anything but PB&J or a tuna sandwich. Thankfully we have a few really good bakeries nearby and our local Kroger also carries bread from really good Detroit-area bakeries so we usually get one of those options instead of Wonderbread (or the generic equivalent).
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You've introduced a new variable. Does quickbread even count as being homemade?

Concerning sandwich places: it's always the bread quality (more so than meats, cheeses or vegetables) that makes a sandwich place either great or mediocre.
    I make it at home so it is therefore homemade.

And yes, the bread is the difference between a great sandwich and Subway.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I haven't baked any since my youngest was born so that would be... 4 years ago.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My wife would be happy to have Wonderbread for any bread needs but I hate that stuff for just about anything but PB&J or a tuna sandwich. Thankfully we have a few really good bakeries nearby and our local Kroger also carries bread from really good Detroit-area bakeries so we usually get one of those options instead of Wonderbread (or the generic equivalent).
    So WSU can/do you get Spatz Bread in your neck of the woods? I know some Krogers in E carry Spatz, but I'm not sure how far south the Saginaw-based bakery delivers. Anywho, they have the best and I mean BEST bread for toasting or making grilled cheese sammiches with.
    http://utrmichigan.com/spatz-bread/

Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I make it at home so it is therefore homemade..
    Because I like you, I'm going to let that slide in on a technicality.

Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    I haven't baked any since my youngest was born so that would be... 4 years ago.
    It's amazing how many different activities go by the wayside because of young kids. I didn't brew any beer until Junior turned 10.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    jkel will know this -

You couldn't duplicate at home the rolls from one of the portuguese bakery in in ironbound section of Newark.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So WSU can/do you get Spatz Bread in your neck of the woods? I know some Krogers in E carry Spatz, but I'm not sure how far south the Saginaw-based bakery delivers. Anywho, they have the best and I mean BEST bread for toasting or making grilled cheese sammiches with.
    http://utrmichigan.com/spatz-bread/
    I haven't seen Spatz but I'll keep an eye out for it. Somebody I work with actually commutes from Saginaw each day, maybe I'll ask her to bring me a loaf of Spatz bread just so I can give it a try (grilled cheese is the ultimate test to see how good a bread really is).

Our Kroger carries bread from Stahl's which is near where I grew up. I had a lot of friends in high school who worked at Stahl's for their first job and we used to play cards there late at night so being able to get cookies and breads from there reminds me of my childhood - their Belly Button cookies are where it's at! IIRC it's one of the oldest and longest continuously operating bakeries in Michigan.

The fancy grocery store right by our house carries Zingerman's breads and rolls and they are the absolute best but they are expensive so we only buy their stuff if we have a special occasion.

Maister - Bread from Avalon Bakery in Detroit is actually really good and their distribution has grown quite a bit over the past few years so if you happen to see that in your neck of the woods, I'd recommend them.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I haven't seen Spatz but I'll keep an eye out for it. Somebody I work with actually commutes from Saginaw each day, maybe I'll ask her to bring me a loaf of Spatz bread just so I can give it a try (grilled cheese is the ultimate test to see how good a bread really is).

Our Kroger carries bread from Stahl's which is near where I grew up. I had a lot of friends in high school who worked at Stahl's for their first job and we used to play cards there late at night so being able to get cookies and breads from there reminds me of my childhood - their Belly Button cookies are where it's at! IIRC it's one of the oldest and longest continuously operating bakeries in Michigan.

The fancy grocery store right by our house carries Zingerman's breads and rolls and they are the absolute best but they are expensive so we only buy their stuff if we have a special occasion.

Maister - Bread from Avalon Bakery in Detroit is actually really good and their distribution has grown quite a bit over the past few years so if you happen to see that in your neck of the woods, I'd recommend them.
    Spatz's comes in a highly recognizable retro-looking paper wrapper. It's got the additional benefit of being highly affordable. A loaf goes for about $2.50. Here's what Yelp has to say

I know sw mi planner grew up eating that stuff and I'll bet dollars to donuts Wannaplan has had it many times as well.
    Zingerman's has priced themselves right out of my consumer budget range. The only time I deem it appropriate to purchase is when I'm physically present at their deli in A2. Avalon? Haven't heard of it before or seen it, but I'll keep my eye out now that you mention it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    jkel will know this -

You couldn't duplicate at home the rolls from one of the portuguese bakery in in ironbound section of Newark.
    Impossible.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snapshot 5/20/15
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 May 2015, 11:03 AM
  2. Snapshot 5/6/15
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 May 2015, 9:15 PM
  3. Snapshot 5/2/15
    Friday Afternoon Club