Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Keys and keychains

Registered
    Feb 2004

Keys and keychains

I heard a comedian joke you can tell a lot about a man by his keychain: too many keys and he's probably a janitor, too few and he lives in his parent's basement.

I suspect there's at least some correlation between the number and type of keys one carries around and the level of responsibility one is accorded. I'm currently carrying 11 keys on my keychain. Off the top of my head, I know what 9 of them are for. A few months ago the number of keys was higher and I purged a few but it appears yet another purge may be in order. There are car keys/fobs, various house keys, a fire box key, as well as several work keys. Additionally, I typically allow myself one non-key item to be attached to my key ring as well. Currently, that happens to be a titanium bottle cap opener, but in the past it's included things such as a hearing aid battery case, a Disneyworld key fob - I have no idea how I wound up with that or why I tolerated carrying it around so long, but let's be honest keychains typically do not command much attention or consideration in our lives, and a small Swiss army knife.

What's your keychain look like?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    The unlocking thing for the car which needs a new battery and just the basic keys, car, office, house, and some mystery lock.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I keep my keychain as sparse as possible: a key to my Jeep and keys to the front and back doors of our house. I also have one card on there (for my health club). I'd like to put in new locks on the front and back doors for no other reason than so I can use the same key for both and eliminate one key from my keychain. I hate the big fat key fobs that modern vehicles come with.

My mom is notorious among our family for too much stuff on her keychain - she would add keys over time and never remove them so she would have keys for cars they hadn't owned in years, keys to both her and my dad's cars, keys to her mom's house, keys to her office, keys to the safe at her pharmacy, all sorts of membership tags, and even a little leather change purse. I think she liked all of us laughing at her ever-growing keychain and kept adding more just for that reason. I remember when I would drive her car there would be so much stuff hanging from her ignition that the keychain would brush against the side of my leg as I drove!

She still keeps quite a few keys on her ring but has cut it down considerably.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh, and I forgot about the little plastic grocery store rewards program 'cards'. I had one on my keychain for a couple of years until it broke off. I remember trying to get it replaced and the manager on duty wanted to give me grief about it (to this day I can't fathom why). I stopped shopping there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I used to have a keychain collection, I know, lame. My current hone is a simple ring with car key, house key, mailbox key, locker lock key, office keys. All my loyalty cards and Y card got migrated to an app on my phone,
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    lame & basic or basically lame - office, house, mailbox, car ignition, car door lock fob on some corporate logo key carabiner.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Car fob
    2 office keys (outside door & inside door, I have no idea why)
    Main Street office door
    house key
    bottle opener from Bells (Oberon design) that looks like a key
    small knife that looks like a key
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm pretty non-traditional in the keychain world. I've got:

- car fob that is somewhere in the bottom of my purse (since I don't actually need it in hand to unlock or drive my vehicle)
    - garage door opener that sits in a tiny holder near the shifter in my car. (I take it in and out of the house every day.)
    - store tags, all on one ring, also located somewhere in the bottom of my purse
    - a vintage fork keychain with actual keys to my house, my mother's house, and my friend's house downtown (and possibly a key to my office, now that I think about it) -- this is also in the bottom of my purse, I think. Or at home on the key rack. I'm not sure. I couldn't tell you the last time I used it.
    - my work ID which also serves as a key to the pertinent buildings in my municipality; when not at work, this sits in that little spot next to my shifter with the garage door opener. It's a handy little spot.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I carry my car key and associated fob separately. On my main key ring is my house key, a key to a car I used to drive and that has been sitting in the driveway for about two years, a safe-deposit box key, three office related keys (one to enter the building, one for most doors in city hall, and one to the audio-visual room), a key to my mother's house and one to her mailbox, and two other keys that look important but I don't know what they are for - maybe my mother's old keys.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    7 keys:
    . 4 house keys (1 for front and kitchen door, 1 for front and kitchen security door*, 1 for back security door*, 1 for garage walk-in door and garden shed)
    . 1 desk key for work
    . 2 lock keys (1 for my bicycle lock, one for my storage unit lock)
    I also have a little multitool I never use and a bottle opener from my favorite brewery which I frequently use.

I carry a key fob for the car but don't attach it to the key chain. It feels too clunky in my pocket and also if it's in the car ignition the rest of the keys hang down to my leg.

* The house we bought has heavy-duty wrought iron security doors on each entry door. We typically don't lock them when we're home, but during the workday when no one is home at all, we lock the house up tight.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Re too few keys syndrome:

Zero keys = probably homeless and you don't even have a mailbox.

Been there, done that. Then I got a mail box service and had a single key to my name for quite a while.

I currently have four keys:

Key to the building.
    Key to my room.
    Key to my mail box.

Key to my safe deposit box.

I gave up my car more than a decade ago. I don't have to deal with nonsense like tag, title and car insurance. I also don't have to deal with those damn ginormous car keys anymore. I'm happy to be rid of them.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I hate having too many things to carry around in my pocket. That means no key fob or other thingy attached to my keys. I have a thing that lets me separate my car key from the rest of the keys on my ring (for valets, service visits, and such). The few non-car keys I have are one for my office, two for my house, one for my bike lock, and that's it. I also have the gym membership tag on there. That's it. Most of the time I only have my car key on me when I go out and only bring the rest when I specifically need them.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like small key rings if they are going in my pocket. I carry:

Key Ring 1:
    car key & fob
    house key
    bottle opener from local brewery

Key Ring 2:
    city hall key
    city hall annex key
    office key

Key Ring 2 will disappear in a couple of weeks when we move into the new city hall, which is all card access. I'll get a key to my office, but it'll live in my desk drawer since I see no compelling reason to lock my office.

I also have a screwgate carabiner with key rings of keys for three rental properties.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Car key
    Front and back door keys (they are different)
    Tile finder
    Nest alarm fob
    5 shopper cards-Panera, Petco, Dicks, Ikea, Bottle King (liquor store)
    Leather tassel so I can find the keychain in my purse easily
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Jeep keychain
    Key fob for my Cherokee
    Two house keys (the pedestrian door to the garage is keyed differently than the other house entry doors)
    One file cabinet key

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

I'm Back For This???

Am I back for my first post in....like.....6 months, just To say that I picked up a great keychain while in Nepal this March. It says "Nepal." I also got one with a picture of a Yeti.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Am I back for my first post in....like.....6 months, just To say that I picked up a great keychain while in Nepal this March. It says "Nepal." I also got one with a picture of a Yeti.
    Evidently so. It stands to reason that only a topic as momentous as this would require your high-powered perception and insight.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    #priorities

Ones the rest of us nerds can appreciate.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Vehicle key with integrated fob.
    Fob to enter the gov't center.
    Key to my office.
    Key to the front door of our house.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Aug 2003
    I need to get my home locks keyed alike, but I'm waiting until I install a new - and nicer - front door lockset and handle. I'm dawdling because I don't much care for the front door and would prefer to replace it. But there's another year of college tuition for my oldest to pay next month, and I'm basically a tight-wad. A patient tight-wad.

So, at present, I have:
    2 house keys (front door and inside garage door)
    1 office key stamped "DO NOT DUPLICATE"
    1 car fob with integral key*
    Lucite key chain (about 1"x1") with a Danish flag and "DANMARK" written inside it

---
    *My 2017 Mazda 3 left me stranded recently. Called the roadside assistance number and spoke to a very nice, but not terribly helpful assistant. They ended up towing my car to the dealer to diagnose and repair the problem. When I picked the car up the next day, they diagnosed the problem as a dead battery in the fob. The dealer instructed me if it ever happens again to hold the key up by the starter button, which will sense the sensor in the fob and start the car. Would have saved everybody a lot of money and time had the person at Mazda assistance known what the dealer knew.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I have 4 keys (House, Office, Truck, Mail Box) one key fob for my truck, one key fob for City Hall, and one small silver charm container that has some of the ashes from when my mom was cremated.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    So I just realized that the key to the front door of my house has the same code as the key to the front door of RT's house. Same manufacturer but totally different locksets purchased a year and 60 miles apart at different retailers. I am going to test it out tomorrow.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I heard a comedian joke you can tell a lot about a man by his keychain: too many keys and he's probably a janitor
    I have my keys on a carabiner that I used to clip to my belt buckle until my brother mentioned I looked like a janitor. It goes in the pocket now.

On my keychain I have 6 keys for:

Main office door
    My office door
    Main administration building door
    My house key
    My parents house key
    Key to the Jeep.

I also have 2 bottle openers. One from Middle Ages Brewing in Syracuse, NY, and another from Highland Brewing Company in Asheville, NC.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Losing one's wallet or keys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 21 Mar 2014, 7:27 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 01 Aug 2006, 1:01 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 11 Oct 2004, 6:05 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Mar 2004, 7:57 AM