Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article - ‘Access to Literacy’ Is Not a Constitutional Right, Judge in Detroit Rules

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Article - ‘Access to Literacy’ Is Not a Constitutional Right, Judge in Detroit Rules

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/e...imes&smtyp=cur

In his decision, Judge Murphy agreed that state officials bore some responsibility for the quality of education in the district.
    He also agreed that giving students the opportunity to learn to read was “of incalculable importance,” adding that some level of literacy was necessary for voting, applying for a job and securing a place to live.

“But those points do not necessarily make access to literacy a fundamental right,” he said.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I guess literacy isn't listed there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. .
    That's from the Deceleration of Independence, not the U.S. Constitution, fwiw.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05 Jul 2018 at 9:19 AM.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

So I guess RIF isn't a thing anymore.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    It may not be a civil right but it's in the nation's best interest to have a literate (at the very least, if not educated) country - I would think in the interest of GNP and other things, that it's not a good idea to allow for illiteracy
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 May 2015, 12:07 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Feb 2015, 1:25 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Sep 2014, 10:25 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Nov 2011, 10:59 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Nov 2011, 9:55 PM