Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lawn furniture advice

Registered
    Feb 2004

Lawn furniture advice

Only half the outdoor lawn/patio furniture we own actually gets used by us. We justify keeping extra furniture around for 'overflow situations' like back yard parties, so maybe the other 50% gets used one or two days out of the year. As it happens the surplus outdoor furniture was my grandparents and we got it when they closed their estate (I was hoping for some of their metal chairs but alas it was not to be). It's old school classic webbed lawn furniture like this:

Here's the thing, some of it is starting to get ratty and several of the web straps have broken. Mrs. Maister wants to get new furniture but I've been looking at web furniture repair kits which only cost a few bucks. I've never repaired or replaced outdoor web furniture - have you? How tricky or time consuming was it?

What do you have for lawn furniture?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Only half the outdoor lawn/patio furniture we own actually gets used by us. We justify keeping extra furniture around for 'overflow situations' like back yard parties, so maybe the other 50% gets used one or two days out of the year. As it happens the surplus outdoor furniture was my grandparents and we got it when they closed their estate. It's old school classic webbed lawn furniture like this:

Here's the thing, some of it is starting to get ratty and several of the web straps have broken. Mrs. Maister wants to get new furniture but I've been looking at web furniture repair kits which only cost a few bucks. I've never repaired or replaced outdoor web furniture - have you? How tricky or time consuming was it?

I like that old school stuff with the web straps and we looked to buy some when we bought our house but they were surprisingly expensive... or at least cost a lot more than I would have expected. I still want some of the folding chairs as I like that they are so lightweight and I think they would match nicely with our 1950s house.

If the repair kits are really inexpensive, I'd say give it a try. If it turns out to be too difficult, you're only out a few bucks.

We ended up buying really cheap lawn furniture at At Home or some similar discount outdoor warehouse-type store. Everything has held up great for about 10 years now but we do end up buying new cushions every few years since they start to get moldy after a couple of summers. Our nextdoor neighbors put out some really high end outdoor furniture when they moved in a couple of years ago but it's already showing its age. Based on the prices of similar looking stuff at Home Depot and Lowes, I wouldn't be surprised if they spent $3,000 or more on theirs! That seems like such a huge waste of money up here where you only use it a few months out of the year and even more so when it's too big to put away for the winter so it sits outside through all the elements.

If I had spent that much on our patio furniture, I'd remove the couches and chairs from inside the house to force us to use the outdoor stuff and get my money's worth!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like those oldies but goodies, not as comfy as a zero gravity but pure retro-ness! I'd keep a few around for old times sake.

Saw a vintage yard swing on FB, not a glider but a stand alone webbed swing, it called out to me but I have no room for that sort of thing.

We have resin wicker on the deck, just power washed it to look new again. Wayfair on sale.
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Only half the outdoor lawn/patio furniture we own actually gets used by us. We justify keeping extra furniture around for 'overflow situations' like back yard parties, so maybe the other 50% gets used one or two days out of the year. As it happens the surplus outdoor furniture was my grandparents and we got it when they closed their estate (I was hoping for some of their metal chairs but alas it was not to be). It's old school classic webbed lawn furniture like this:

I have a wood table that seats six, 4 steel arm chairs, and 2 folding chairs. At RT's house, there is an all weather wicker style loveseat and two matching chairs plus a little steel bistro table with two folding chairs. She got them all on sale/clearance at Target.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I got this set for my patio: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...ge__W819747548.

I pretty much leave the cushions inside and only pull them out when I know I'll be hanging outside. I also built that cinder block bench I had previously mentioned for "fire pit" seating. I have a camping chair that I will pull out for additional seating as necessary, and if there will be a lot of people over, I'll ask them to bring camping chairs, too.

I actually don't have an indoor kitchen or dining room table. I have a counter I can eat at. So I figured it was worth it to get a nicer outdoor set for when I have cook outs and stuff. Of course, and outdoor dining table would've made more sense, but I didn't have the right kind of space to make that work.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I would go with fix up the retro chairs. I did it a looooong time ago and don't remember it being very hard as long as the metal frame is in tact. Use them for the big parties and if she really wants a new set replace whatever your primary furniture is.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The thing to remember with the old school nylon strap furniture is that nylon degrades in the sun. So they would be perfect for when you have guests over but I wouldn't leave them out all the time.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    The thing to remember with the old school nylon strap furniture is that nylon degrades in the sun. So they would be perfect for when you have guests over but I wouldn't leave them out all the time.
    I don't generally leave them out for days at a time, but that's good advice.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Why do we have so much in the way of outdoor furniture? We have furniture for our covered front porch, looking to buy patio furniture on our deck, and then bag or camping chairs that fold up to be portable.

I think a lot of it comes down to how do we use our outdoor spaces. We are looking to use our deck for cooking, eating, and lounging as if it was an extension of our dining room. The front porch on the other hand is more for lounging, but we don't put chairs in our lawn... that space is for active recreation by our children.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Outdoor/lawn furniture
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Mar 2016, 12:06 PM
  2. Furniture styles poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Jun 2009, 1:41 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 3:49 PM