Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Condiment packets

Registered
    Feb 2004

Condiment packets

Folks who know me well know that I am cheap as hell very thrifty and am always looking for ways to save money. One such way that I and many other folks save money is to not discard unused condiment packets. You know those little individual serving foil packets you get from burger, sandwich, pizza, taco, Chinese, and chicken joints....

Occasionally, we've let our packet collection grow too large and some have gone bad and/or taken up valuable space in the fridge, but we've gotten better about periodically using them. Not long ago we underwent a kitchen purge and made an effort to use up everything we could in the freezer and pantry before purchasing new stocks of anything. Turns out we had enough soy sauce packets saved that we didn't need to buy any bottles of Kikkoman at the grocery store for nearly six months.

Am I the only miserly bastard budget-oriented individual who saves their condiment packets for later use?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My dad saves condiment packets and he and my mom keep them all in a paper bag in their RV for when they are camping. If I get take out or fast food I rarely ever actually ask for or use any condiment packets that come with anything so I end up just throwing them away regardless but my wife will save ketchup packets. A few years ago I was making sloppy joes for dinner and I needed some ketchup for the recipe and realized we were all out. Not to worry though because my wife had enough old ketchup packets squirrelled away that I easily came up with the 1/2 cup I needed!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hope you are.

Some former staff here stubbornly saved HOARDED condiment packets. I’d throw them in the trash, and someone would retrieve them and return them.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I hope you are.

Some former staff here stubbornly saved HOARDED condiment packets. I’d throw them in the trash, and someone would retrieve them and return them.
    Okay, picking discarded packets out of the TRASH borders on pathological behavior.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My dad saves condiment packets and he and my mom keep them all in a paper bag in their RV for when they are camping. If I get take out or fast food I rarely ever actually ask for or use any condiment packets that come with anything so I end up just throwing them away regardless but my wife will save ketchup packets. A few years ago I was making sloppy joes for dinner and I needed some ketchup for the recipe and realized we were all out. Not to worry though because my wife had enough old ketchup packets squirrelled away that I easily came up with the 1/2 cup I needed!
    Yeah, we never take bottles of condiments with us while camping, we usually take a dozen or two condiment packets with us.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I keep a small handful at my desk because you never know when you want some ketchup or sriracha.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    One of our junior folks saves them in a file drawer - it comes in handy for me every once in awhile (when I'm actually in the office).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I keep a small handful at my desk because you never know when you want some ketchup or sriracha.
    Same. Whenever I find Cholula or Sriracha packets I swipe a few extra for my desk. I usually keep mayo and brown mustard packets as well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Am I the only miserly bastard budget-oriented individual who saves their condiment packets for later use?
    Yes. Yes you are.

He used to have a little plastic bin in the fridge for that stuff but we never used them so we just threw them all out. The only thing I'll keep is if we get queso with a to-go order and we don't eat it all right away, I might keep that for later snacking, but to be honest we usually end up throwing that out too.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have a box of Splenda.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We put them in the fridge but clean them out every year or so. They get used occasionally.

I was hoarding the wet-nap packets from B-dubs and similar places. Keep a few in the desk drawer to clean hands and such. However I've seen B-dubs and East Coast Wings no longer have them on the table. They will bring you 1 packet with your wing order and then you can ask for more (& get a couple).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    For me, it's less about me being cheap cost conscious and more about the fact that I HATE wastefulness!! I will admit I have a small dish in the fridge full of ketchup packets and the kids have used them on more than one occasion. Honestly, I never use ketchup so when they come in a takeout order, I'd rather throw them in the fridge than throw them in the garbage.

Flaw in my plan -- I picked up a bottle of ketchup on sale last month. The kids found it and now they won't use the packets anymore.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 May 2018, 12:06 PM
  2. Software Paperless board packets
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Feb 2014, 10:47 AM
  3. Condiment Collaborations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 15 Sep 2010, 1:19 PM