Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

Bama won it (again) last year and hinky said it best (yawn).

Now with the news of Urban's knowledge of bad things on his coaching staff, do you think tosu will still be in the rankings? Of course they will because - why not.

AP/Coaches Poll Preseason Rankings (& still not sure why we bother with them, but I digress):
    1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Clemson
    5. Ohio State
    6. Central Florida
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Penn State
    9. Texas Christian
    10. Auburn
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    OOPS!
    Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
    2. CLEMSON
    3. OHIO STATE
    4. GEORGIA
    5. WASHINGTON
    6. WISCONSIN
    7. OKLAHOMA
    8. PENN STATE
    9. MIAMI
    10. AUBURN
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm better with UGA starting at 4 than at 2 - we did lose a lot of seniors and draft-eligible juniors.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

My alma mater will probably suck once again. It's how many weeks to basketball season?

I'll end up rooting for the local university's team. I've taken classes there, plus given a guest lecture, hired interns, gone to plays, etc. Some of the advantages of living where there is a decent sized university.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    OOPS!
    Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
    2. CLEMSON
    3. OHIO STATE
    4. GEORGIA
    5. WASHINGTON
    6. WISCONSIN
    7. OKLAHOMA
    8. PENN STATE
    9. MIAMI
    10. AUBURN

OSU is over ranked, even with Urban staying. They might be top 10, but not top 5. I think Penn State is under ranked, but otherwise I think it is accurate. I think that Michigan will finish in the top 25 but not in the top 10. They are just not there yet.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2002
    OSU is good. Very good. I think Barrett leaving is actually going to help that offense. They're definitely a top 5 team right now. PSU has a lot of question marks in the middle of the front 7. The season will hinge on that I think. OSU @ PSU September 29th. Hopefully both will still be unbeaten at that point. You know that will be a whiteout game at night. Michigan might be better than you think. Their defense is going to be very tough and now they've got a QB.

The new rule about playing freshman in 4 games and still being able to redshirt is going to be huge for some schools to figure out what they've got. I think TCU might be a bit of a sleeper this year.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.
    HELLO! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!1!

I like Herm Edwards, but that was a strange hire.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2002
    Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.
    Ain't that a sha]V[e...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".
    Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
    Honestly, not much. I know he was supportive of some pretty shady players. Unfortunately, I see most coaches follow that mold. I guess I take the "wait and see" approach until we know all the facts.

I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?
    Actually, Ryan Day would probably be a good candidate if Meyer gets booted. He was headed for a good HC gig somewhere in a year or two, and your AD moving him up to interim coach over Schiano (good football mind but a total scumbag) or Wilson (also a good football mind but needs to prove he's reformed his approach to managing players) speaks volumes.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
    Gee, that's nice. I wouldn't know anything about that.

I get that Meyer has a contractual obligation here to report but don't you think there should really be some more focus on, oh I don't know, the people who are actually paid to help in these circumstances? I mean Mrs. Smith went to the cops numerous times. And nothing happened. But let's not let that get in the way of blaming the football program. They know all and can change everything. This issue isn't going to go away if women perceive that the solution is to tell the wives of all their husband's co-workers about it. Title IX doesn't impact the vast majority of people so there is no kangaroo court to adjudicate these things. It belongs in the legal system. That's why it exists. If it's broken, then fix it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3108
    Last post: 20 Aug 2018, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 210
    Last post: 09 Jan 2018, 1:42 PM
  3. Replies: 269
    Last post: 12 Jan 2016, 6:24 PM
  4. Replies: 247
    Last post: 13 Jan 2015, 4:44 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM