Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What a crock!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

What a crock!

What Crockpot do you use and do you like it? Our old one had the stonewear crack and overall I was less than thrilled with it as I thought it ran hot. We are thinking about something that is 6 to 7 quarts and something that I can toss food in before work and have it ready to eat when I get home.

I want to get one as soon as possible knowing football season is quickly approaching.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What Crockpot do you use and do you like it? Our old one had the stonewear crack and overall I was less than thrilled with it as I thought it ran hot. We are thinking about something that is 6 to 7 quarts and something that I can toss food in before work and have it ready to eat when I get home.

I want to get one as soon as possible knowing football season is quickly approaching.
    Ours is a cheapo Hamilton Beach. It has only three settings: warm, low, and high and has held up great for over a decade. There is no timer but I used a plug in timer that I can control on my phone for the few times I needed to turn it on when nobody was home. It has worked perfectly for us over the years but ours is only 6 quarts. I'd like to get an 8 quart or larger one. I use ours for pork butts and pork shoulders and large briskets quite a bit but ours is too small for most of those and even if they fit, I have to keep an eye on it while it cooks because a lot of times the juice will start to overflow. My next one will be larger and have a locking lid.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

I think my current one is Crock Pot brand, 8 qt. I like it, especially that I can set a timer for cooking and then when it's finished, it automatically switches to "warm" mode. My old one (which lasted like over a decade) would cook food too much if I was away from home too long.

Apparently the InstaPots can also be used as a slow cooker. Whenever my crock pot dies I might look into that, get two appliances out of one.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

We had a Dazey 4 qt combo crock pot/fryer that saw heavy use for almost 25 years.

It croaked and we replaced it with a new Crock-Pot 6 qt. 'Cook & carry'. The Dazey had a dial that allowed fine control of the temp. The new crock pot has the standard three temperature settings. I like the larger capacity of the new crock pot, but miss the dual-role fryer/slow cooker feature, plus the fine temperature control of the Dazey.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We've got a beautiful Chiefs crock pot. I think it's Rival. It can go to hot or warm. Very fancy and almost never used. We just aren't crock pot cookers.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I checked with "Crock Pot" as our last one was from there to see if we could just get new stoneware for our model... but surprise, they are out of stock for our model and have been since the beginning of the year, requiring people to buy a whole new unit.

So, we ordered one from Hamilton Beach that has a ton of good reviews on Amazon. I also read through the comments and questions and it sounds like there were concerns with one off defects and such. It allows you to set an actual temp in addition to the low/med/high settings and has a timer.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I have a small one, can't remember the brand. I think it's maybe 3 quarts. I don't use it much, mostly during the winter. It's just me so even at 3 quarts it makes way too much food. I do beef stew mostly. Tried chicken and dumplings once and that turned out well.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mom never used a crock pot, but I have one from RIval with 3 settings 4, 6 or 8 hours. If I used the 8 hour setting I suspect the food would be reduced to a smokin sludge!

I use it mostly these days for an awesome veggie bean soup - I save the rinds from Parm-reggiano and throw those in the pot too.
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Has anyone made bone broth in a crock pot and if so, how?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We make bone broth all the time. Just fill the slow cooker with water, some vegetables, and spices (we like garlic and bay leaf). Then put the bone in and cook it on high for 6-8 hours.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The crock pot/slow-cooker thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 23 Dec 2016, 2:56 PM