Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TV Remakes

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

TV Remakes

This fall there is a remake of Magnum PI... and while it is in Hawaii and there is a Ferrari, there is no mustache and no Tigers hat. Total BS.

There has been a remake of Macgyver, and he at last has a mullet and a swiss army knife.

What remakes would you like to see make a come back and what features are a must have?

What remakes have they done that are good and which ones are bad? What are the bad ones missing?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

I have found that the better the original series was, the worse the remake will be.

There's really nothing that I watch (or watched in the past) that I want to ever see remade. Pretty much all broadcast TV is insufferable anyway, so there's no reason to think any remake will be any better.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I had fond memories of ABC's Saturday night lineup during the 70's, but when they made the reboots of 'The Love Boat' and 'Fantasy Island' I went back and watched a couple of original episodes from each.....damn, those shows were stupid. No wonder the reboots failed miserably. In my defense, I was just a tween when those shows first broadcast.

I would like to see a remake of Gilligan's Island. How could they possibly ruin the show?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    I've always said that I don't understand why successful movies and TV shows have remakes. I think the entertainment industry owes it to us, the viewing public, to remake bad shows and movies. A remake of Ishtar, now that's something I could get behind.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    This fall there is a remake of Magnum PI... and while it is in Hawaii and there is a Ferrari, there is no mustache and no Tigers hat. Total BS.

There has been a remake of Macgyver, and he at last has a mullet and a swiss army knife.

What remakes would you like to see make a come back and what features are a must have?

What remakes have they done that are good and which ones are bad? What are the bad ones missing?
    I have seen a couple promos and photos for the new Magnum P.I. where the new Magnum does indeed wear a Tigers cap. It doesn't look like he will be wearing it as often as Selleck did. Selleck is a huge Tigers fan and I think he even owned a stake in the team back in the '80s.

As far as remakes I've watched - I like the new MacGyver. It's not "prestige television" and most of the action is pretty inconceivable but it's a fun show. My wife and I enjoy the new Hawaii Five-0 too even though a lot of the story line and plots are pretty far fetched and I imagine there are more murders in Honolulu in a season of that show than there are in a year IRL. FWIW, I have never seen an episode of the original.

We watched the first season of the reboot of Fuller House and the acting on all accounts was horrible and the writing was equally bad... but we still enjoyed it and lapped it up. When the second season came out we sat down to watch it and about half way through the second episode my wife and I looked at each other and said that it was absolute garbage and we just couldn't watch anymore. We remembered the original version being cheesy and trite but that was just so over the top. Full disclosure: Dave Coulier was a high school classmate and hockey teammate of my BIL who claims he was the absolute most arrogant and hated kid in the school - a jerk through and through and a dirty player on the ice.

We watched Roseanne when that one came out earlier this year and while it was a bit heavy handed in its politics at times we enjoyed it. Even if the writing wasn't the best, I think that one really benefited by having some very good actors and production values and we would have watched a second season if Roseanne Barr hadn't ruined that.

My wife was looking forward to watching Will & Grace when that one came back as she was a big fan of the original series. I watched a few episodes of the original and enjoyed it but didn't really care one way or another about it but I happily watched the reboot when it came on. The first episode of the reboot was soooo political and anti-Trump that it lost all its humor after about 48 seconds. They just drove those jokes into the ground too quickly. We powered through and watched to the end and then watched the 2nd episode when it came on and it was much less political much more enjoyable because of it. I think the writers just had to get their political thoughts out of the way.

I'm looking forward to the Murphy Brown reboot that's coming. Murphy Brown was one of my mom's favorite shows when it was on and even though I was only 10 when it premiered, I liked a lot of it too (even if I didn't get quite all of the topical humor). I will say that it was one show that definitely went on too long and probably should have ended after 7 or 8 seasons instead of 10. I'm hoping that Paul Reubens returns in the new version as a network executive.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I've always said that I don't understand why successful movies and TV shows have remakes. I think the entertainment industry owes it to us, the viewing public, to remake bad shows and movies. A remake of Ishtar, now that's something I could get behind.
    I agree - If it ain't broke don't fix it! Hollywood, of course, doesn't view reusing a successful plot line ad infinitum as being any sort of fix, just a proven method to make more money. I believe there are some shows and movies that could be done much better (e.g. The Hobbit, or Dune) but other times some things are so broken from conception there's no way to make lemonade from such rotten premise lemons.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I had fond memories of ABC's Saturday night lineup during the 70's, but when they made the reboots of 'The Love Boat' and 'Fantasy Island' I went back and watched a couple of original episodes from each.....damn, those shows were stupid. No wonder the reboots failed miserably. In my defense, I was just a tween when those shows first broadcast.

I
    I never got into The Love Boat, even when it was first aired in the late '70s and early '80s. I did get into Fantasy Island. Now, the Love Boat is being aired on MeTV. I have sat through a few episodes and can't believe how unwatchable they are. Unlike other MeTV shows like Columbo, Twilight Zone, and Star Trek, Love Boat is so incredibly corny and laughable. Worse, unike those classic shows, it doesn't hold up at all, even though it is much newer. I find the entire crew to be incredibly obnoxious with the guest stars all bringing out some of the most cringeworthy '70s stereotypes. How this show has remained on MeTV so long is beyond explanation.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I avoid remakes of TV shows with one slightly different exception - the American and British/French separate remakes of the Scandiavian series Bron/Broen (The Bridge on FX, and The Tunnel on Sky Atlantic and Canal+ (picked up by PBS)).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

I also tend to avoid remakes. Lost is Space was tolerable/good simply because I don't remember the original. Plus, I think it was a different take on the source material. Love Boat et.al., tend to be a reflection of the mores and attitudes of the time. Basically, they don't translate well into the present. The one I don't get the fascination with Mayberry RFD. On a certain level, I understand the yearning for a simpler time/nostalgia. By the same token, I can't stand Forrest Gump. German/Yiddish has a good word for how I feel about it-schmaltz.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I was okay with Lost in Space. I took it as a new show that just used some old character names and a basic plot idea. Not going to say it was the best show ever, but it's entertainment. Kind of like accepting the Star Trek alternate universe/reboot idea with a young Kirk.

Now the Alf remake that will be the best show ever. Said no one except the network execs.

On the movie side of things I have no idea why we're just redoing old movies (Ghost Busters, Blade Runner, etc.) There are so many good books out there that could be converted to TV. If you can turn Lord of the Rings into a movie you can do anything. Think of all the great Sci-fi and Fantasy I read or the murder mystery stuff my wife loves. Maybe take some of the WEB Griffin war novels? Plenty of stuff to suit all kinds of people. You just might have to read a book and do some work to convert it.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    On the movie side of things I have no idea why we're just redoing old movies (Ghost Busters, Blade Runner, etc.) There are so many good books out there that could be converted to TV. If you can turn Lord of the Rings into a movie you can do anything. Think of all the great Sci-fi and Fantasy I read or the murder mystery stuff my wife loves. Maybe take some of the WEB Griffin war novels? Plenty of stuff to suit all kinds of people. You just might have to read a book and do some work to convert it.
    Blade Runner 2049 was a sequel, not a remake, fwiw.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Blade Runner 2049 was a sequel, not a remake, fwiw.
    Just as guilty in my book. Although I actually haven't seen Blade Runner so I can't claim it as good or bad.

Just as guilty in my book. Although I actually haven't seen Blade Runner so I can't claim it as good or bad.
    I liked, it and thought it was a good movie. However, it was a sequel. The original had it's flaws, but it was one of those movies that developed cult following. It turned into an iconic movie Visually, it was stunning, and Rutger Hauer's performance was masterful. It was also was the first dystopian sci-fi movies. Finally, it took some of it's cues from punk which had gained an acceptance by that time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Not remakes per se, but sequels:
    Star Trek: The Next Generation and whatever the sequel to Kung Fu was called. They were both so very bad, though The Next Generation got better. It's first year was painful to watch and I only saw it because the husband wanted to see it. I used to call the sequel to Kung Fu "Spawn of Kung Fu." It was really terrible.

The ex's undying loyalty to sequels to shows he liked, no matter how terrible and painful to watch they were, might help explain why we were married for 22 years.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We need a new Muppets Show. Not the sitcom thing they tried, but an actual variety show.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We need a new Muppets Show. Not the sitcom thing they tried, but an actual variety show.
    I would definitely watch that. Every so often I'll get a DVD of old Muppet Show episodes from the library and force my daughter to watch some with me. I still really enjoy them and the jokes hold up really well, especially if you are a fan of puns and that type of humor. My daughter on the other hand complains the entire time. It's probably been over a year since I made her watch any and she seems to appreciate that kind of humor more now than when we last tried. Maybe I should make her watch some more episodes...

On a related note, they just rebooted the Muppet Babies earlier this year and my wife was looking forward to showing that to the kids but the new episodes don't have nearly any of the old film and TV clips embedded into them as the old ones did and I guess there are a bunch of different characters so she says it's just not the same.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    It's not current, but the remake of Battlestar Galactica....best remake ever.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 23 Jul 2007, 12:33 PM