Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Marina is building a gas dock 80 feet from our kids bedroom window

Registered
    Sep 2018

Marina is building a gas dock 80 feet from our kids bedroom window

I just heard from the neighbors the marina just got the approval by the city council to move the exiting gas dock off a large 220ft wide peninsula farther from residents to a small peninsula 62 feet wide 600ft closer inland now surrounded by 50% residential houses. The current location has been there for years and is about 100 ft from 1 newer house across the canal. The new marina owner is moving the station so he can build a house on the larger plot. It's a win win for him and the city, but not for the more than dozen residents who have opposed the build publicly at a planning board meeting. The gas station is taking up the spot of 1 of the 6 houses,12 condos, and massive boat storage facility. My house having the greatest impact as my windows will only be 80 ft from the gas pumps. My property line is only 50ft from the gas dock. The new gas dock location will be surrounded by neighbors as this corner is where 3 canals meet. Neighbors concerns to the planning board included traffic, including idling boats giving off fumes, gas fumes, noise, property value decrease, and the health risk to children. The city code does protect residents, but it seems the council has been giving away wavier without question to this builder without regard to the impact of it's residents.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Jamiegrahams View post
    Neighbors concerns to the planning board included traffic, including idling boats giving off fumes, gas fumes, noise, property value decrease, and the health risk to children.
    Did you prove this? Traffic impact analysis? Environmental studies on the fumes? Noise assessments? Property value impact studies? Any health studies?

In many cases, state law requires such testimony to be by certifiable experts in those fields. Lay person testimony has no basis in the decision.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Time to vote some council members out.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    #fakenews
    No Signature Required

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Nov 2017, 3:15 PM
  2. Replies: 4