Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for sample Business Surveys

Registered
    Oct 2001

Looking for sample Business Surveys

I am looking for samples of business surveys that other communities may have developed. By such a survey, I am referring to seeking information from the business owners in the community to:

assess their market, satisfaction with location, expansion plans, relocation plans, number of fte, relationship with local chamber or economic development corp. etc.

Thanks for your time. Murph

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Have you found any???

Just curious... Since nobody has made any posts, I was interested to here some comments on this topic, but seems to me not very many communities do such a survey... Could be beneficial to smaller communities.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You are right Vlaude, my community could really use one. I have heard rumblings from downtown business owners about dissatisfaction with the new development downtowm, as well as lots of street closures. It would be a great idea to get there opinion in a more formal way than just talking to them at the checkout counter. We are a pretty big city, but most of our downtown businesses are still locally owned. My guess is that this would be most helpful to cities with fewer chain stores.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Check with your Chamber of Commerce as they often do such studies. I had some samples from the Main Street organization, but I lent them to someone years ago...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Plana,
    You are so right. We all hear the grumblings, the "dis satisfaction", "paying taxes - no service" , "given a hard time with zoning or any time they want to do something. And yes it is particularily noticable in a "small business town". That is the reason I thought it would be a good idea to do a survey and utilize it to plant the seed to begin a local business association. Their voice would be valuable in approaching the DOT, and road improvement issues and signage issues. Thanks all for your input, I'll check further and post a sample when and if the idea moves forward.
    Murph.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Murph
    Plana,
    You are so right. We all hear the grumblings, the "dis satisfaction", "paying taxes - no service" , "given a hard time with zoning or any time they want to do something. And yes it is particularily noticable in a "small business town". That is the reason I thought it would be a good idea to do a survey and utilize it to plant the seed to begin a local business association. Their voice would be valuable in approaching the DOT, and road improvement issues and signage issues. Thanks all for your input, I'll check further and post a sample when and if the idea moves forward.
    Murph.
    Bringing back an old thread.

I have developed business surveys in the past to get business owners opinions on what can be done to improve their individual business. These business were generally short 15 or so questions and mostly open ended questions so they could write what ever they wanted.

Now I'm looking for some ideas on surveys/questions that outline development, redevelopment and revitalization in a small commercial area within a larger urban environment.

I'm looking for some samples or ideas of questions to include which are either multiple choice or Yes/No.

If you have used such a survey in your community or know of one where I can look at to jog my memory let me know. Thanks

Registered
    Feb 2000

Business Survey

Can I get a copy of your examples?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parking surveys
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2009, 11:07 AM
  2. Small-town downtown business surveys?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 9:13 PM
  3. Business surveys
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jul 2007, 1:48 PM
  4. Online surveys using GIS
    Information Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jul 2007, 9:20 PM
  5. Community Surveys