Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My Intro....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

My Intro....

Well it's quite late for an introduction but i'll do it anyways just so you can know me a bit (and not go off topic in some other forum).
    First off, I am not a US citizen, but I have been in the US (1990-1992), but I was just in the NYC area (NJ actually). Yes I did go to the WTC (RIP), so at least i could visit it, even before the '93 attack. I also know Washington DC, and I also was in Toronto and Montreal (yes, I do know it's in Canada).

Right now, you might be asking yourself, well where the hell does this guy live? I live in a small country called Chile. Don't know where it is? just get a world map, and follow straight down from the US East coast to the thin part of South America. You'll see a nice long and narrow country. I live In Valdivia (not shown it the map probably), it's a 175,000 inhabitant city. Famous for it's beer, river, University, and for the 1960 earthquake (the most powerfull earthquake registered on earth, 9,5 Richter)

What do I do? Right now... enjoy the summer vacations, next year, probably I start my first year of Architecture. (I see that some of you planners deeply hate Architects, but hey, there isn't any career here in Planning. )

Just in case you were asking yourselves about the nick... no I didn't take it from He-Man, as many misbelieve. I as quite thin when I was young (when I started in the Internet... that's around 1996) and since then it just got stuck with me

'dats it.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Welcome

Hey Skellie how ya doing?

Chilean beer, its good no?

We need Chile and Uruguay on Super Amputee Cat's weather page now!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    well the chilean beer ain't great... but there are good ones, specially where I live, but if you talk booze, one good thing we have is wine (what you get outside chile, is of course not the best, but the most industrialized... there are a lot of great wines that don't produce enough to be exported)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Welcome aboard!

When were you in Toronto?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nice to meet you. Welcome

BTW - When I was a child my parents sponsored an officer, and his family, from Chile in the early 1980s at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas while he attended a military school. For a year they were our constant companions. Wonderful people.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I can attest to the Chilain *sp?* wine-damn good red wine!

Welcome!

We look forward to your insight into the built environs of both the US and Chile

PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Welcome...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Another land mass heard from! Welcome Skel!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Happy to have you with us. My folks had a Chilean Rotary Foreign exchange student a few years ago, he was very amenable and entertaining. Hope you enjoy the boards!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome SkeLeton!

It's funny that you say that there are no planning careers there... as all three of the people I know who went into the US Peace Corps got volunteer planning positions in Chile. Of those three , only one came back home after the two year stint as the other two fell in love with Chileans and Chile itself, and took up residence.

As for things I love about Chile... my nick "nerudite" comes from my love of Neruda's beautiful poetry. So more than good wine come from Chile.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    welll Planning councils and jobs sure do exist in Chile, BUT there are no Colleges or Universities that dictate a Planning Degree....(AFAIAK)
    Most people that work in Planning here, are architects and geographers, and probably lawyers too...

oh, and Nerudite... I kindda guessed that your nick was after Neftalí Reyes (Pablo Neruda ) There weren't much options besides that :p

Tranplanner: I was in Toronto in '91 and '92....(the summer of both years) I was in Montreal and Ottawa.

PS: Sorry for being a troll sometimes :p

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Welcome SkeL -

Why do so many countries (apparently like chile) not export their finest wine? Is it some kind of nationalist rule or do folks just want to keep it for themselves, or what?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    There was some wonderful wine from Chile at the DC wine fest, ill have to find their info again

YUMMY!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Believe it or not... Canada and Chile have a free trade agreement similar to NAFTA (talk about opposite ends of the world)... it makes for a great Chilean wine selection at the neighbourhood liqour store. I agree PG... yummy!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Decay B: I believe that many of the finest wine makers in Chile do not export their wine because they produce in small volumes, and hence it wouldn't be productive to export such little volume, and if they expand they lose quality.
    It's like Scotland's Finest Whiskies, they're not the world known brands, but the small whisky makers (many of which brew only single-malt whisky, not the blended whisky that all the major brands sell)

A little off topic, but related to myself... Well I'm studying Achitorture :p but I'm thinking I'll end up changing to geography (which is an area where I have skills AND interest :p)
    so who knows... mabye in some 7 years or so I'll be a planner (Geography and a planning master is the only way I know to become an Urban Planner here :p)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Intro
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Jun 2011, 10:36 AM
  2. Intro
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Oct 2009, 2:38 PM
  3. my intro
    Introduce Yourself