Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Decision Making

Decision Making

In the jurisdiction in which you are employed, are most of the controversial final land use decisions made by the Commission or Council or Board based upon the merits of the case or by political considerations?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Although the "Good 'Ol Boy Network" was supposedly the rule in the past, the Planning Commission and Town Commission now considers the merits of the case and good planning practice more so than anything else. I presented a special use request for a proposed charter school to the PC, where the town was the applicant. It was a courtesy review, and sovereign immunity would normally apply; the town could just go and build the school without planning approval, but we went through the process anyhow. I recommended approval based on a number of conditions; the PC added even more. Hardly rubber-stamping.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Z-guy:

Based solely on my experience I offer the following observations: at lower decision-making bodies such as design review boards or planning commissions, projects are almost always considered on their merits, consistency with the General Plan, and conformity to the implementing ordinances. However, when projects reach the elected officials (the legislative body be it city council or board of supervisors), they take on a whole new personality and all bets are off. When the outcome is determined, even from the layman's eye, it must be obvious who has been the most successful in lobbying either for or against a project.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's been my experience as well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. SCOTUS decision-making
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Mar 2013, 5:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 3:40 PM
  3. Last minute decision
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 May 2008, 4:17 AM