Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: building security

Registered
    Feb 1998

building security

What have we done with building security lately? My county requires people to sign in. For after-hours planning commission public hearings, we have to find staff to man the door, which means overtime costs. It is not to the point of showing IDs, but I see it happening. Do these types of actions make local government less distant to the citizen? Or is it just part of doing business these days?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In my old South Carolina job, people had to go through metal detectors to get into the county courthouse. Our building didn't have this, but one of the girls I worked with had serious fears about someone returning to our office with a gun after dealing with our building department.

Where I work now, employees will soon have a swipe card to check in and out, but that is more for tabs keeping than security, since the doors will still be wide open for anyone to come in.

Registered
    Aug 2001

security? HA!

Around my office, master keys are handed out to ANYONE who asks for one. There is no accountability, no key list to determine how many of these are out there, etc. They re-keyed our building last year but never changed their key distribution policies, so its more of the same-old same-old. I am not worried about property theft, but there are no confidential files anymore, thats for sure.

We have no physical security measures in place either. Probably wont until something unfortunate happens close to home. But isnt that how it usually works?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We have to swipe our card to unlock the door to the outside (after hours and on weekends), as well as all of the main doors inside. We have mirrors in every corner so that we can see if somebody is hiding on the other side of the corner. We have panic buttons that call the police in the bathrooms.

To get to my office after hours I have to do the following:
    1) swipe my card outside to get in
    2) unlock a door as soon as I get off the elevator
    3) unlock another door shortly after that
    4) swipe my card to get into my office
    5) look at the mirrors before turning any corner

Registered
    Aug 2001

SecuritY????

No cards. Although outside keys are not up for grabs, if you catch a cleaning person I'm sure they'll let you in no questions asked.

Mirrors?? Some of our offices do have nice large external or even internal windows to hallways so the public can be sure you're doing your work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Got security?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 02 May 2011, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Aug 2010, 10:29 PM
  3. Security in your building?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 11:03 AM