Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hometown vs work?

Registered
    Sep 1999

Hometown vs work?

Does anyone live/work anywhere near where they were born/raised, to see all the changes over the years? Do you have any emotional connection to where you work? Do we all just go where the work is?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We live on the same street my husband lived on while he grew up. He works at the same place his grandfather worked. I've tried to get him to relocate a couple of times, but he won't consider it.

My family moved here in 1973. This was a little PA turnpike interchange town; now it's a bedroom community, and growing rapidly. There are several grocery stores, a new Kohl's, many fast food outlet along Rt. 30.

As far as my husband is concerned, we are where the work IS. He's lucky, though. I don't think too many people who live here work here, rather, they have to commute somewhere.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I usually go where the work is, but of course it has to be a town that I am actually interested in. I would love to live in the town where I currently work, it's just way out of my price range... it's like the BelAir of Edmonton. The only way City workers can afford to live there is if they bought in over 8 or 9 years ago before the prices skyrocketed.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've come full circle in that I've finally moved back to work in the town I grew up in. It's actually quite a thrill to walk everyday into the building I used to be in awe of as a kid.

I've also moved back to the inner-suburb that I swore as a high-schooler I'd never live in again.

C'est la vie.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I could never see myself working for the City of Philadelphia, that is just too much the stereotypical lazy govt work.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have to get attached to anywhere I work, I don't think I could give 100% otherwise. The area I'm from is very rural and has been in decline since the 70's, so it's sad to go back.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Several years ago, I moved back to a few miles from the Chicago Suburb in which I grew up (though not while working in this profession). I could not stand it. It was ugly suburbia; vinyl-clad and congested. I am now two hours away, close to the cottage where I used to spend my summers as a kid. I like it, but not enough that I would want to remain here. I will go to a location that appeals to me, that offers the work opportunities I want.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    I now live about 35-minutes from where I grew up(scenic Port Washington, WI). I go back no more than two times per year. I left when I was 18 and I have never had the desire to back for any length of time...six-odd hours a year is plenty.

The town sucks the life out of you. There is a tragic small-mindedness within the community. Mind you my family were among the first settlers of the town 165 years ago, and my grandfather was an alderman and mayor for over 35 years...so I am a self-proclaimed authority.

Some people reflect upon the town they were raised in with a fondness. I laugh when I think about PW...

Though, they do have a good planner now...he's been there about two years.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Like KMS we live and work in Rob's home town, a typical surburan town, 1.4 miles from his parents house. I've mentioned several times how lucky we feel to be working where we do, but it can definitely be frustrating working and living in a town that actually embraces sprawl. Do I think we'll stay when we retire in 30 years? Probably not.

My home town is very similar to Giff's - Rural decline. The landscape is gorgeous, and I love going home, but I could NEVER move home, especially for work.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Growing up as a military brat you go where the Army says. So we moved about 20 times during Dad's career. Some were in-town moves because quarters were not available right away. Some were overseas. Most Army bases are not in exclusive Caribbean resorts. Most are located in country that looks like a war has already occurred. Armor posts are the worst of these. While I was in the military and college I moved to about 10 locations. I now find myself 45 minutes away from what is loosely called home. The KC area. We relocated here because we were needed by my parents. Dad was severely injured by an intoxicated driver two years ago and they need the occasional break from all the medical up keep and I serve as their home fix it guy. I chose my current job based upon location and not career factors. We had to get close and yet not live next door. We bought a house and it looks like we are going to homestead here. All in all my philosophy is you have to live somewhere. Make the best of where you are.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I moved across the country for a combination of economics (an immediate $15,000 pay raise was tempting!) and interest in living in a new region.

Grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a mid-sized (300,000 metro) industrial and commercial center. I can't say I particularly liked my childhood-hated high school, etc.

I do enjoy visitng the older neighborhoods and parks in my hometown-its a great subject for architectural photography. And, it is interesting to see the changes when I visit my mother. But, I doubt I could ever live there. It is big enough to have wierdos like me, but the overall feeling/philosophy doesn't really fit me. Even though the Bay Area goes to the other extreme many times, I just feel more at home here. Plus the weather, the big city amenities of SF, the topography.

I hope to stay here-and both my siblings have followed me out here, so I even have family here now. Given the appalling local economy, I hope my seniority is enought to allow me to stay-or find a new job nearby, if need be.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Its good to be "home"

I always wonder if my career path inot planning was in some way inspired by the fact that when I was very young in the late 1960's, my parents relocated the family to Colombia, MD. They moved back to Wisconsin when I was in kindergarten but I have alkot of memories of the New Town...

I work in the same County that I grew up in, two towns over. At this point in life it's good, but eventually I know I'll move far far away...

Seeing the changes isn't so bad-- it was exurban when we moved there and is now a high-end / premier address. My hometown did alot right over the years despite rapid growth (Mike Stumpf, Prudence, jtfortin - you all know Delafield).

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Outside of the 5 years I spent in college, I've lived my whole life in the same community. I've seen tremendous amounts of change...both good and bad. I don't, however, work there. I work 1/2 hr away (previously 1 hr away). Would I like to work there eventually? Absolutely. Will I? I don't know....I think that I'd like to move in the coming years a bit closer to my wife's family (and a bit further from mine). But Concord will always be my hometown.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've lived in 7 places in 5 towns, all within an hour's drive of the capital city. Now I'm living in the city itself for the first time and I love it. There have been a few changes in the suburbs where I spent most of my time - basically there's very little undeveloped land there any more, there's just masses of sprawling suburbia now. All the vacant sections we used to play in have been built on now, and the primary schools have doubled in size but without a corresponding increase in land area so there is much less grassy play area.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm only a few miles from the town where I lived as a child. It was once a pleasant small town, a safe place to ride your bike. We knew all of our neighbors.

I can't believe how much it's changed. My elementary school is now a sprawling municipal building. The woods where my older sister smoked pot during high school (hey, it was the '60s!) have been replaced by look-alike subdivisions. And virtually all the little "corner stores" where I bought candy and comic books as a kid have been demolished for boxy bank buildings and parking lots. It's depressing.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I grew up in NYC (Queens) and now live in Cleveland. Though I no longer have the job that originally brought me to Ohio, I decided to stick around for a few more years and get a Masters in Urban Planning from Cleveland State. I'm hoping that I'll be able to land a job in the NYC area after finishing my degree program. Cleveland just doesn't seem like the kind of place I want to stay long-term. I have no emotional connection here. NYC will always be "home" to me. I would love to live in NYC again, though not necessarily in the same neighborhood where I grew up. I do go back once or twice a year to see the changes. My old neighborhood has completed the transformation from working class Irish & Italian to Asian and Latino immigrants. My parents still live in the same house where I grew up and are now the only English speaking family on the block. Every other house on the street has been subdivided into studio apartments, so the neighborhood holds many more people than it was originally designed for. Ideally I would go back to New York and find a decent place to live in a more stable neighborhood.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning in your hometown
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Mar 2011, 11:09 AM
  2. Back to my hometown
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 31 Dec 2010, 9:26 AM
  3. My hometown is a national disgrace
    Friday Afternoon Club