Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Preservation of Solar Access

Registered
    Aug 2001

Preservation of Solar Access

Anyone out there ever deny a plan on the basis that it does not preserve solar access? It's been a provision of every code I've ever administered, and yet it's never come up as a basis for denial - or much less discussion. Just wondering.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah... in both Davis, CA, and Vancouver, WA, we used solar access for discussion and/or denial of a plan. In Davis, which is *very* strict about solar access, I used it for denial once... more often I would point out the problems to the developer and they would revise the plans to make it work. In Vancouver, this was basically the same thing... although the variance provisions for solar orientation and access were lenient in Vancouver so we would usually provide variances where possible.

Are your solar access ordinances geared more towards the structures that go on the lots that need to preserve solar access for adjacent lots or are you talking about lot orientation for passive solar access as part of subdivision review? In both cities I reference above, we had both lot orientation and structural restrictions. I have only been involved with the lot orientation/subdivision review, and not the structure review that would usually occur upon submittal of a building permit.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Are your solar access ordinances geared more towards the structures that go on the lots that need to preserve solar access for adjacent lots or are you talking about lot orientation for passive solar access as part of subdivision review?
    We have both

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Yeah... in both Davis, CA, and Vancouver, WA
    Commie planner....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Geothermal, Solar, & Wind. OH MY!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Dec 2011, 2:52 PM