Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What about the Old Urbanism

Registered
    Nov 2002

What about the Old Urbanism

My biggest problem with New Urbanism is that it is a distraction from the main planning challenge faced in my part of the country; making older urban areas vibrant and active places. I'd rather spend my time renovating an old urban center than building a new one.

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other about New Urbanism; I think that like a lot of planning ideas there are bits and pieces of it that are useful (eg. front porches, parking in the back, some attention to architectural details) and some that are dumb (the idea that architecture determines by itself whether a community is a good one, that if you don't agree with the CNU you need to be "educated".)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Amen brother!

All New Urabnisim is in my book is an attempt to make new housing look like the existing stuff in out older cities. Why not just concentrate on what we already have?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While I think there is a place for the new urbanism, I tend to agree that it sure would be nice if people would concentrate on the original urbanism. I suspect that some of its attractions are its drawbacks as well; things like old homes that may have a lot of character but also are smaller and need extensive renovation, great old school buildings that have not been maintained and are in poorly performing districts, community and crime, pedestrian-accessible corner stores but no convenient Wal-mart, etc.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yes the attractions of the old urbanism are also its drawbacks to some people. But I am not trying to get everyone to live in the City; like the New Urbanists, I just think people should have the choice of living in a decent urban environment in addition to the other options.

In fact, I would just as soon people with suburban lifestyle preferences leave the City so they don't try to make the city more suburban.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. True urbanism vs new urbanism
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Jun 2005, 4:08 PM
  2. Why 'new urbanism' isn't for everyone
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Feb 2005, 3:33 PM
  3. New Urbanism
    Design, Space, and Place