4 16.67%
  • Bad Poll Dude!

8 33.33%
Closed thread

Thread: Unbridled capitalism or a workers paradise

Registered
    Oct 2001

Unbridled capitalism or a workers paradise

Pick a world to live in NOW! No government other than for the defense of the nation with laissez faire capitalism run rampant or total big-brother government just like North Korea - without all the starvation.

Red pill or Blue pill - the choice is yours!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Either end of the spectrum suxs. The Ron Paul - Libertarian wackos just mean more Enrons, land speculators, anarchy, etc. However, the other end has proven not to work with greedy humans making bad decisions.

I reject both tails and prefer the happy, workable, middle.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I guess you could stick me in the middle too. While I sure wouldn't want a Police State, I sure as hell wouldn't want the Enron types of the world running wild.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Don't forget that most of teh money that the enron types were actually making was your and mine from tax incentives, forgivable loans and grants. I prefer to think of myself as a social capitalist. That is someone who beliefes in teh free market, but also believes that big business and people with money have a duty/responsibility to use there influence and money for teh betterment of all. This relationship is directly inverse to teh grants, loans and tax breaks they take from the public. How about enron buying a coal plant ( i think) in PQ amortizing / deducting the interest and loan costs and ending up getting the plant for free due to international banking and tax laws here in canada.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I prefer the middle way. If I can't have that, a Milky Way. So I guess that means rampant capitalism.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'd take either, as long as I get to be one of the guys at the top.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    You can't choose a middle! the poll is one or the other - otherwise, we'd all be living in Korea or creating our own rouge island nation.

So I'm the only one, that forced to choose, would pick the workers paradise.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by KMateja
    rouge island nation.
    Is that where all the illegal cosmetics of mass-destruction are located? :p

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Extremes are always bad, and utterly ridiculous.

Extremist capitalism in which the human being is seen as a money making machine is stupid, bad and ridiculous.

Extremist Communism in which nobody has to do anything if they don't want to or in which the state demands you to work hard (the last is very alike to extremist capitalism, exept you don't get much of the money, the state keeps it). well the first leads to starvation and extreme poverty. the second one leads to exploitation, poverty and starvation...

I think that the perfect government is a few steps "left" of the actual government (of the US). It would be something like a social capitalism as someone said before. that'd be the most fair and perfect goverment that can be achieved by humans.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Extremes are always bad, and utterly ridiculous....I think that the perfect government is a few steps "left" of the actual government (of the US). It would be something like a social capitalism as someone said before. that'd be the most fair and perfect goverment that can be achieved by humans.
    You mean Europe?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    You can't choose a middle! the poll is one or the other - otherwise, we'd all be living in Korea or creating our own rouge island nation.
    If you don't settle down you're gonna be vanquished to Canada...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

If you don't settle down you're gonna be vanquished to Canada...
    eek! i'll be good!

i was just trying to play by the rules!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by El Guapo

You mean Europe?
    IMHO ... a US with universal health coverage and a nationwide ban on billboards.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    You guys keep bringing up enron as "why" free market capitalism does not work.

The fact that they were caught, will be prosecuted and that the company is bankrupt is WHY it does work.

I'll take the blue pill, it represents more faith in humanity.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    You guys keep bringing up enron as "why" free market capitalism does not work.

The fact that they were caught, will be prosecuted and that the company is bankrupt is WHY it does work.

I'll take the blue pill, it represents more faith in humanity.
    Ah, but - if we had a pure laissez-faire capitist system, wouldn't it be harder for these corporations/individuals to be caught?

Okay, Enron probably would have collapsed under its own stupidity/greed anyway, but I tend to think there wouldn't be as much government oversight in the business world, and therefore more opportunity for some people to take advantage of others. I'm thinking of the 19th Century "Robber Barons" here.

Your point about faith in humanity is well taken. I think both systems are quite similar in that they require everyone to behave with honesty, all the time. Seeing as that is impossible IMHO, I'll take our current capitalist system over the communist anyday.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Nov 2009, 10:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 8:39 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 10:48 AM
  4. Flawed Capitalism at it's Finest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Jun 2005, 7:02 AM