Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pedestrian LOS

Registered
    Jan 2003

Pedestrian LOS

I'm involved in developing Ped Guidlines for a few Transit programs....I've been searching for various Ped LOS used in developing Ped/Bike Master Plans....I've gone thru Portland, Vancouver, FDOT, GDOT, Oakland, SFO, and a few more...

Most of them are too cryptic with long formulae and infinite co-efficients. Has any one come accross alternative LOS methods that are simple to compute and have more qualitative inputs...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    thanks

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hi injunplanna, just saw your post. Over the past few months I have been reviewing walkability indices and ped levels of service.

This is one of the better models I've found for assessing qualitative factors (you can find the full text on the net):
    Gallin, N. (2001). Quantifying Pedestrian Friendliness Guidelines for Assessing Pedestrian Level of Service. Paper presented at Australia: Walking the 21st Century, International Conference, Perth, Western Australia, 2001.

For assessing architectural, aesthetic aspects, this is good:
    Jaskiewicz, F. (2000). Pedestrian Level of Service Based on Trip Quality. Paper presented at the Transportation Research Board Urban Street Symposium, Dallas, Texas, 2000.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pedestrian life
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Aug 2008, 3:52 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 4:49 PM
  3. Use of pedestrian overpasses
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Aug 2006, 6:51 PM