Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Missing Segway thread ???

Registered
    Feb 2000

Missing Segway thread ???

Where did the Segway thread go? How does a thread just disappear? At least 3 different people posted to that thread earlier today.

Registered
    Aug 2001

It's still here...

It looks like bturk merged a new thread into the segway thread, and it took on the new name's title by accident. All of the posts are under the thread It's matter of convenience and conditioning (or something like that) .

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    That's what happens when other moderators mess around in my Forum!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    That's what happens when other moderators mess around in my Forum!
    EEEP! Try to do a good deed and it backfires. I'll stick to mischief and mayhem from now on. I should be able to retitle the thread, right?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've already cleaned up your mess Bturk - it's once again called "Segway Article"

Registered
    Feb 2000

Thanks

Bturk and Tranplanner:

I greatly appreciate your efforts in maintaining this forum. I find it a valuable resource and am relieved to see that it was a good deed that I missed. Thanks.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Good design

Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Where did the Segway thread go? How does a thread just disappear? At least 3 different people posted to that thread earlier today.

I see someone stole your thunder - these links may explain why it apparently became a d ead issue on this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Segway_PT

http://www.segway.com/

I think all of these kinds of gadgets, and there have been many dreamed up over the years, are simply ways to avoid the real issue in city planning. Dare I say more? I already have but I might elaborate. The problem with implementing a real solution is that the status quo feels threatened and resorts to sabotage - that is a typical management problem in organizations where employees feel threatened by new technology they resort to sabotage. Do you know what I mean? As in a single building good design addresses and solves the problem of circulation so good design of cities solves the problem of transportation. It is an architectural problem and that is what only architects are trained to do. What will it take to convince urban planners of that? Guaranteed job security, or what? How would that be a problem with the solution I have proposed? I think it would rather invite more employment as well as greater satisfaction in the process. We only need to convince the politicians who are the policy makers.

Professional opinion on Planning

Excerpts from learned professionals in the field of Urban Design and Planning including architects and consultants.

1. " Only rarely has environmental quality been considered at the scale of the whole city or region. The technical and political effort that will be required to control regional landscape quality and to think of humane conditions of existence at that reach of size has still to be made." (Encyclopedia Britannica, c.1976, p. 1061d, Urban Design)

2. "Much of what is being built these days would be described by planning professionals as well planned or even planned at all; but some kind of solemn official* approval has been given to virtually all in accordance with government regulations.” (APA Journal, Spring 1989, p 131) *Specious authority is the term used by the architect, F. Ll. Wright.

3. “What is needed is to show policy makers a new pattern that is superior to what is being followed now”; The consequences of current development planning are all around us: things will only get worse if something isn’t done soon.” (Ibid. JAPA p. 135)

4. “Florida is a leader among about a dozen states that have acted to devise a system of managing growth by Compact Urban Development.”
    (Zoning and Planning Law Handbook, 1989, p. 55, 58)

5. ”Neither planners or developers plan America; bureaucrats and bankers do.” …”the financial community follows a herd instinct bankers will not finance new concepts; they depend on developers to initiate the projects and to assume the risks.” Developers and planners need each other as never before. (JAPA, Autumn 1990 , p.498-99)

7. The planning profession has lost sight of the future and is abandoning its responsibility in the design of cities and oriented more toward social sciences and scientific method. Work of other professionals are not being properly coordinated. Andrew M. Isserman, Dare to Plan, TOWN PLANNING REVIEW, 1985, 56,4:483-91. (JAPA Autumn 1990, p. 502). Compare James S. Russell, AIA, Architectural Record, June1989 p. 79

8. ..."I've been right about a good many things. That's the basis of my arrogance. And it has a basis - that's one thing I can say for my arrogance. We can save ourselves. We're smart. We nave a certain rat-like perspicacity. But we have the same courage; and that's what's the matter. I don't know of a more cowardly...well, I'm getting too deep in here now, and I can't swear - not tonight. But we are certainly a great brand of cowardice in America. We've let all our great opportunities to live a spiritual life with great interior strength and nobility of purpose in mind go by the board... If we're ever going to get anything better, if we're ever going to come by a more honorable expression of a civilization such as the world is entitled to from us... It isn't the fault of institutions. It isn't the fault of any class. It isn't the fault of the big boys that make the money and make the blunders and shove us over the brink we spoke of a minute ago. No. How would they learn better? ...How are they going to find out? They can only find out by your disapproval. They can only find out by your telling the truth, first to yourselves, and then out loud wherever you can get a chance to tell it."
    Frank Lloyd Wright, Excerpt from 1949 AIA Gold Medal acceptance speech. Also see - Ethics

Do you read me?
    Last edited by bud; 29 Nov 2006 at 2:38 PM. Reason: emphasis

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The new Segway thread
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 210
    Last post: 30 Oct 2013, 11:58 AM
  2. Missing thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Aug 2007, 2:19 PM